Another reason NOT to work out

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 09:27 pm
March 23, 2004 -- A Manhattan couch potato got more than he bargained for when a drill-sergeant fitness trainer worked him out so hard that he wound up in the hospital with damaged kidneys and chronic pain, according to a lawsuit.

Fred Widland, a television film editor, is suing Crunch Fitness International for $100,000 in compensatory damages and $1 million in punitive damages for allegedly taking him way beyond his physical limits and ignoring his pleas to go lightly.

But before he so much as touched a dumbbell, Widland told the trainer that it had been years since he worked out in a gym, that he had only recently quit smoking, that he ate with some passion and drank alcohol regularly. In other words, take it easy.

But before Widland could say, "optimum heart rate," he found himself in "an extremely rigorous session that was unsuitable" for his level of fitness, according to the suit, which was filed in Manhattan Supreme Court.

According to the lawsuit, Widland launched into a session on Jan. 10 without a warm-up, became dehydrated, and was told to continue despite telling the trainer that his head was pounding. After a round of deep-knee bends in the yoga room, the trainer finally cut the session short, the lawsuit said.

Two days later, Widland said, his headaches were continuing. A day later, he was admitted to Lenox Hill Hospital, where he was diagnosed with "exertional rhabdomyolysis," the breakdown and release of muscle fiber contents into the bloodstream, a condition that is toxic to the kidneys.

Lawyers for Crunch did not return calls seeking comment.

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/21612.htm

I hate these musclehead morons who work at these gyms. Idiots!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,216 • Replies: 13
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 09:32 pm
Re: Another reason NOT to work out
kickycan wrote:
the breakdown and release of muscle fiber contents into the bloodstream, a condition that is toxic to the kidneys.

Ewwwwwwwwww....!!

I usually scoff at these kinds of lawsuits, but looks like he has a point, here.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 10:17 pm
Ya, he was a little girly-man who couldn't handle his muscle pumps at the pumpitorium, ya.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 10:55 pm
well he could have just stopped and walked out. it's not like he was obligated to continue.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 10:58 pm
one thing in common between slappy and myself, is that we both frequent gyms. i don't think i'm a moron or idiot, don't know about slappy though Very Happy
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 11:35 pm
Yeah, but it's professional FITNESS guys. They're supposed to know what they're doing. Ya know, push you to the edge of your endurance -- the operative word there is EDGE. Not push you over the cliff.

Eek.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 11:57 pm
hi soz, i agree that the supposed fitness "instructor" was a idiot as well as a moron. i still contend that the victim could have just stopped, or thought this isn't for me, asked for his money back and walked away.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 12:09 am
pueo wrote:
well he could have just stopped and walked out. it's not like he was obligated to continue.

Not being on a regular exercise regimen, he must have felt the pain right away. We all know we have to take it slow for awhile when we are out of shape.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 01:14 am
Yikes. Not only this fellow but many others are not ready for regimes or regiming into whatever health experience there is flashing at them with websites and more at the other end.

regiming, how would you spell that?
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 01:21 am
I agree with pueo. If my head was pounding, I would have gotten up and left.

I agree that the so-called trainer obviously didn't have a clue, but the couch potato is an adult. Surely he had to know it couldn't be good for him if his head was pounding! And even if he didn't, once it got to that level of pain, he could have said "that's it, I'm outta here."

A few years ago I shelled out the extra bucks at a fitness place to have the staff create a routine for me. I made them aware of my back situation (I had a back injury when I was 13) and we went from there. They included a certain back exercise that they felt wouldn't stress my back out too much. But after doing it a couple of times I knew it wasn't for me, so I dropped it from the routine they gave me. Just because a "professional" advocates something doesn't mean a person should do it. I know my body best, so I wasn't going to risk further injury just 'cause they said it would be "okay".
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 07:40 am
Maybe this guy is just hopping on the lawsuit bandwagon and is pointing fingers for his health problems?
Or maybe he was pushed too far...either way, I don't think stuff like this happens too often.

I need to go consume some protien to pump up, ya.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 08:07 am
"According to the lawsuit, Widland launched into a session on Jan. 10 without a warm-up, became dehydrated, and was told to continue despite telling the trainer that his head was pounding. After a round of deep-knee bends in the yoga room, the trainer finally cut the session short, the lawsuit said."

I dunno. I can't imagine any trainer doing something like this. No warm-up, no water? Deep knee bends? Sounds funny to me.
0 Replies

Camille

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 08:11 am
pueo wrote:

BUT, BUT, BUT.....that would have required him to take personal responsibility! Laughing
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 08:30 am
I agree that the instructor should have known better and also that the responsibility was with the trainee to stop; however there is a false sense of pride that would foolishly prevent such action by many.
0 Replies