Iain Banks has terminal cancer

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2013 07:10 am
Some bad news I'm afraid. Iain Banks is a great writer, The Wasp Factory is a modern classic. Well worth checking out if you like black humour.

Quote:
Author Iain Banks has revealed that he has late stage cancer and is unlikely to live for more than a year.

The Scottish writer posted a message on his official website saying his next novel The Quarry, due to be published later this year, would be his last.

The 59-year-old's novels include The Wasp Factory, The Crow Road, Complicity and the Culture series.

The statement said his health problems came to light when he saw his doctor, suffering from a sore back.

He was diagnosed with jaundice, before further tests established the full extent of his illness.
In the personal statement on his website, Banks said he had asked his partner Adele to marry him and was now on a short honeymoon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-22015175
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,839 • Replies: 7
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2013 07:42 am
@izzythepush,
That's sad news. I've read several of his novels and enjoyed his "Culture" works.

I wish him well.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2013 07:55 am
@izzythepush,
Sad news.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2013 08:10 am
@izzythepush,
I've not heard of him, that I remember, but this is a good, if sad, introduction.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2013 09:13 am
From the Wasp Factory.

Quote:
I'm too drunk to recall much of what I've said. Which, come to think of it, is probably just as well, judging by the way people who are normally quite sensible dissolve into gibbering, rude, opinionated and bombastic idiots once the alcohol molecules in their bloom-stream outnumber the neutrons, or whatever. Luckily, one only notices this if one stays sober oneself, so the solution is as pleasant (at the time, at least) as it is obvious
ossobuco

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2013 11:12 am
@izzythepush,
Some Iain Banks quotes:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/04/03/iain-banks-quotes_n_3005863.html#slide=2294025
oralloy

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 09:39 am

That's terrible. Sad

I suppose we all have to die sooner or later. It still sucks though.

I don't know about the rest of his works, but the Culture series is world class outstanding sci-fi.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 9 Jun, 2013 12:57 pm
@ossobuco,
Iain Banks took the crow road today, RIP.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/83/IainBanksTheCrowRoad.jpg/200px-IainBanksTheCrowRoad.jpg

Quote:
Author Iain Banks has died aged 59, two months after announcing he had terminal cancer, his family has said.

Banks, who was born in Dunfermline, Fife, revealed in April he had gall bladder cancer and was unlikely to live for more than a year.

He was best known for his novels The Wasp Factory, The Crow Road and Complicity.

In a statement, his publisher said he was "an irreplaceable part of the literary world".

A message posted on Banksophilia, a website set up to provide fans with updates on the author, quoted his wife Adele saying: "Iain died in the early hours this morning. His death was calm and without pain."

Publisher Little, Brown Book Group said the author was "one of the country's best-loved novelists" for both his mainstream and science fiction books.

"Iain Banks' ability to combine the most fertile of imaginations with his own highly distinctive brand of gothic humour made him unique," it said.

After announcing his illness in April, Banks asked his publishers to bring forward the release date of his latest novel, The Quarry, so he could see it on the shelves.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22835047
0 Replies