What are humans really like???

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2013 06:04 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5296224)
I don't drive that much to compile data, but the last road rage I saw was, indeed, a young woman trying to exit a parking lot, wildly enraged, honking and screaming at some poor soul who was waiting for cars with the right of way to pass before edging out into a driving lane. She acted anything but anonymous however. Out there on her two feet nearly jumping up and down.

Right. Not sure why I have noticed so much rage from YOUNG women drivers, but I have. I always expect women to be above that kind of crap. We men seem to be more likely to do that.
BillRM

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2013 07:37 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Right. Not sure why I have noticed so much rage from YOUNG women drivers, but I have. I always expect women to be above that kind of crap. We men seem to be more likely to do that.

LOL, I can still remember the young lady that went crazy when I bumped her car in a Home Depot parking lot and she got out of her car and in my face telling me she was going to kill me in fact follow me home and kill me.

All over a bump with a shopping cart that did zero harm to her car.

0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2013 09:05 am
@Frank Apisa,
Can you provide some examples of this "angry personal exchanges that regularly..." on A2K? I do not post much these days, but when I posted more I did not generally recall that the threads I contributed to in any consequential way were biased to the point of distraction by "angry personal exchanges that regularly...".

Then again, it's easy enough for me to recognize those types of posts (and the posters most likely to post them) and skip over them so perhaps I'm just effective at real-time filtering.

As far as "What are humans really like???" we are mostly animistic in nature with a higher functioning veneer, thus it may not be reasonable to expect more than that in our present state. Man's progeny however, may well be artificial intelligence, and/or the cybernetic integration of man-machine. In that case all bets are off.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2013 09:13 am
@Chumly,
Quote:
Can you provide some examples of this "angry personal exchanges that regularly..." on A2K?

I guess I could...but the work involved would not be worth it.

They certainly are there...AND IN ABUNDANCE.

Why not just read this thread (only four pages long) and see if you can get a taste of what I referenced when I wrote those words.
Chumly

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2013 09:22 am
@Frank Apisa,
I have, and I stand by my above referenced views in the context given, and I might hope that you would similarly oblige.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2013 09:53 am
@Chumly,
If you don't see it here in this thread...then you probably have a different definition of what it is.

If you see A2K as MOSTLY absent that kind of stuff...fine.
Chumly

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2013 12:27 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Well more to the point, and as mentioned re: a,b,c

a) When I posted more I did not generally recall that the threads I contributed to in any consequential way were biased to the point of distraction by "angry personal exchanges that regularly...".

b) Then again, it's easy enough for me to recognize those types of posts (and the posters most likely to post them) and skip over them so perhaps I'm just effective at real-time filtering.

c) I consider that we are mostly animistic in nature with a higher functioning veneer, thus it may not be reasonable to expect more than that in our present state.

As such I would suggest that "angry personal exchanges..." are par for the course and would come with neither surprise nor disappointment on the part of an aware reader.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2013 01:27 pm
@Chumly,
If you are neither surprised not disappointed with the large number of those kinds of exchanges, Chumly...fine with me.

I am.

I do wonder why you "skip over them" if you are so blase about them.
Chumly

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2013 02:25 pm
@Frank Apisa,
As discussed, for me to say that "angry personal exchanges..." are par for the course and would come with neither surprise nor disappointment on the part of an aware reader, is not to so say that I am "so blasé about them" as you assert, but that I consider that we are mostly animistic in nature with a higher functioning veneer, thus it may not be reasonable to expect more than that in our present state.

Again contrary to your assertion, I am not blasé about a common human behavior that I consider to be based on our mostly animistic nature, however I do consider it rather an inevitability at this point. Expanding on that concept, Man's progeny may well be artificial intelligence, and/or the cybernetic integration of man-machine. In that case all bets are off as to expected behavioral characteristics (except perhaps the drive to survive).

As such, the question to me becomes: is there merited information that I find to be of interest in "angry personal exchanges..."? I would respond: it's easy enough for me to recognize those types of posts (and the posters most likely to post them) and skip over them so perhaps I'm just effective at real-time filtering. From that Frank, it should be relatively easy to infer that I do not generally find merited information of interest in "angry personal exchanges...".

Expected? Yes.
Predicable? Yes.
An inherent characteristic of our mostly animistic nature? Yes.
Worthy of study and analysis in a disciplined scientific manner so as to learn more about human behavior. Yes.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2013 02:49 pm
@roger,
I miss our friends' Fred, but he has a good home now, I gather.

Moment-i-t, your African Gray is very fetching. I'm envious even, though I've only been near one parrot possessed by a friend of a friend, talk about noise.

The Fred, conyer, that Roger and I are talking about was a pet of Dyslexia (beloved a2ker who died not too long ago) and Diane. Fred was a blast.

Ok, ok, now back to arguing.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2013 02:52 pm
@Chumly,
Okay.
Chumly

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2013 03:34 pm
@Frank Apisa,
As to your last response, it was exempt of particulars and had no definitive meaning that I could assess in the given context. Also, a sizable balance of your posts in this thread (as addressed to me) pretty much inevitably elicited the equivalent of the logical fallacy argumentum ad nauseam. Also your straw man fallacy as per blasé served no net advantage. I bid you good afternoon, Frank.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2013 03:36 pm
@Chumly,
Good afternoon, Chumly.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2013 08:05 pm
I agree with you Frank. I would say the Internet forums might be a special case, but the behavior is natural. We all have the fight or flight response and the apparent safety of the Internet steers us to the fight choice. One thing about forums is that the 'fights' can carry on for quite a long time. The choice to take a position and carry on the battle is instinctual. I'd like to hear what some of our professional psychologists have to say. I would agree though that this tendency to fight rather than compromise or seek solutions is becoming much more prevalent. Maybe the speed of communications has an effect. Whatever the reason, it's not good.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2013 08:19 pm
@IRFRANK,
On the other hand...

I was raised up with people who almost never said what they actually thought, at least in company.

I lean towards people who speak what they think. I'm weary of word weighers like my ex, the whole control apparatus engaged. Not that I dislike them or don't understand the weighing. Just that I'm over appreciation for it. But people do move along - he's more straightforward now.
IRFRANK

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2013 09:52 pm
@ossobuco,
Maybe I'm too sensitive. I've been told that here. You make a good point that I do want to hear people's opinion. I just don't think being told I (or someone else) is an idiot adds much to the conversation. I don't think Frank meant contrary points of view, it's the vitriol that's disturbing.

I would agree, I would rather be around people that are willing to express themselves.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 03:12 am
@IRFRANK,
FRANK and Ossobuco,

Absolutely...I want to be talking with people who speak their minds loud and clear. As FRANK noted, I just would like to see some of the name-calling and unnecessary prodding to cut down a bit. Thanks for commenting.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 09:07 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I lean towards people who speak what they think.
Osso that can be very risky--for them, that is
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 09:14 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Absolutely...I want to be talking with people who speak their minds loud and clear.
…..inasmuch as the speaker absolutely certain of his position and improbability of peril
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2013 07:42 pm
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/558968_10152699977105262_1198757998_n.jpg