Most predictable, humans or nature?

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2020 01:40 pm
Is what I will be doing next week more or less predictable than the weather?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 533 • Replies: 5
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2020 01:49 pm
@richard80-s,
What you'll be doing - but only because we (most likely) have far more data points on you.
richard80-s

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2020 02:13 pm
@jespah,
What if you had no data points on me? All you know is I am a human being.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2020 02:54 pm
@richard80-s,
richard80-s wrote:

What if you had no data points on me? All you know is I am a human being.

I already know much more about you than that.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2020 03:31 pm
@richard80-s,
Even if we had the most incredibly sensitive array of data collectors from buoys, probes, satellites, and sensors monitoring every detectable weather system at any time, the sheer enormity of the spatial and temporal horizon makes accurate prediction difficult; even though each individual weather event considered independently is explainable at a high school science level, the interaction of multiple transitory phenomena on a vast scale is still too complex to know precisely what will occur beyond a small locale in the near future. The aggregate pictures and accompanying forecasts are useful but no one expects flawless predictions.

Quote:
Is what I will be doing next week more or less predictable than the weather?

I think that depends on what you decide to do. Aside from the obvious stuff — eating, sleeping, aging — it's pretty much your choice, right?

richard80-s

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2020 06:49 pm
@hightor,
Biology may be more chaotic and less predictable than nature, which is a billion years old and set in its' ways. Us humans only several million.
As we extend the range of predictability humans and nature may join in predictability. If we can stay alive long enough maybe will be just like another tree.
0 Replies