Is there a most basic, irrefutable, underlying principal governing humanity?

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2020 09:44 am
A single foundation on which all governing principles of human thought and action can be derived.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 651 • Replies: 16
No top replies

hightor

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2020 09:51 am
@richard80-s,
No, not specifically and solely applicable to humans.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2020 09:54 am
@richard80-s,
richard80-s wrote:

A single foundation on which all governing principles of human thought and action can be derived.

Yes, sex.

Sex is the only basic irrefutable underlying principal governing humanity. Without sex, no humans.

Everything else is negotiable.
richard80-s

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2020 10:05 am
@maxdancona,
Having a finite life is not negotiable. So, can we say the two are really the same principle?
maxdancona

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2020 10:06 am
@richard80-s,
I see humanity as a species extending across many centuries. I don't see humanity as a single finite life.
richard80-s

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2020 10:11 am
@hightor,
Perhaps I should have used "living things" vice humanity. That would make such a principle more basic.
0 Replies

richard80-s

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2020 10:16 am
@maxdancona,
Perhaps I should have phrased the question as a principle governing life, not humanity. Where life applies to an individual, living a finite life, as we all do.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2020 10:32 am
@richard80-s,
richard80-s wrote:

Perhaps I should have phrased the question as a principle governing life, not humanity. Where life applies to an individual, living a finite life, as we all do.

By having sex, I ensure that the core of who I am passes on to the next generation. I mainly mean my genes; it is my genes that make me human. But I also have a influence on the next generation through what I teach my offspring.

If I die after 80 years without having reproduced, my genes end. If everyone does this, then humanity ends.

maxdancona

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2020 10:36 am
@richard80-s,
Just to be clear... I think that the need to reproduce is the only moral constant that exists in every culture. Every culture has moral rules to protect the ability of women to reproduce. Most cultures have structures to guarantee that the most fit men have an avenue for reproduction.

I don't think there is any other principle that you will find in every human culture.
0 Replies

richard80-s

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2020 10:51 am
@maxdancona,
If life was not finite, wherein we avoid being killed by something and therefore live forever, would sex exist (hopefully, yes, for the pleasure of it) ?
I realize this creates the question of how did we create the current population!
But, let's do as the physicist do and assume a "point source" for argument. Let's just ask the the question referring only to a single individual. Let's rephrase again:

Is there a most basic, irrefutable, underlying principal governing a single human being. Later that may be able to be expanded to include all human beings.

I probably should have posted this as a discussion not a question. I realize I am just trying to defend an answer that I already came up with.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2020 10:52 am
@richard80-s,
I gave you a perfectly good answer to the question. You don't seem to like it.

I would like to hear your answer.
richard80-s

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2020 11:25 am
@maxdancona,
Yours is a perfectly good answer to my question.
Can we agree that my answer (finite life) is more basic, exists on a level below sex, that sex could be derived from?
farmerman

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2020 11:06 am
@richard80-s,
Id like to enter the concept of "TRUST" , it began with paleo family groups, then clans, and then grew to villages and civilizations.

0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2020 06:06 pm
@richard80-s,
Is there a most basic, irrefutable, underlying principal governing humanity?

Quote:
Can we agree that my answer (finite life) ...

Oh I, I love finite life
I'm from a googie
Egg on an earth so round, oh yeah

Please don't squawk about life tonite ...

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2020 06:09 pm
It is quite possible that in our lifetimes we will "cure" aging. This means that no one will die of old age, and it will be possible to live indefinitely (a life can only end by accident, or illness, or violence).

Do we cease to be humans at that point?
Brandon9000

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2020 06:21 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
It is quite possible that in our lifetimes we will "cure" aging. This means that no one will die of old age, and it will be possible to live indefinitely (a life can only end by accident, or illness, or violence)....

Maybe, but seriously, they were saying that in the early 70s when I was in college. They've been seriously talking about it at least since Denham Harman first proposed the free radical theory of aging in the 1950s.
0 Replies

knaivete

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2020 06:37 pm
@richard80-s,
Dick, may I call you dick? Head to the dictionary and discover that "finite life" is neither a principal nor a principle but a feature.
0 Replies