How to post a photo

rosborne979

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2013 12:02 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
Apparently in an attempt to minimize the accumulation of digits, this establishment has made the process somewhat roundabout if not outright difficult.... but no, they make it as tedious and involved as imaginable

By the way, I think you should give up on your lame attempts to portray the design of this site as something which is intended to make things difficult for people, especially when you don't have even the slightest clue what considerations go into figuring out the best way to design or manage a site like this (within a limited budged I might add).

There are very good design considerations for not allowing people to upload and store images directly onto this site, reasons which supersede the needs of users who seem more interested in complaining about things than about learning how to interact with a system which has been provided for them for free, and for which there are very standard and very easy ways of doing what needs to be done.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2013 12:05 pm
@rosborne979,
Oh great. No sooner do I post that then they flip the site upside down and make it more difficult for people to read... (trying to make me look bad... typical) Smile
dalehileman

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2013 12:06 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
….."Desktop" is basically your screen "behind"…...
Ros thank you once more for your help and patience

Quote:
For most people, it's either a big blank blue screen, or it sports a nice big pretty photo as a background.
Yea, I have Mac's Milky Way, it's positively beautiful and inspiring. So do I understand by that second step that I merely drag my snapshot from iPhoto into this area, leaving it there while I open IS. But now we have step 3:

Quote:
* On the ImageShack web page, "Browse" to you photo and select it, then upload it.
Again thanks profusely Ros for your tolerance of my shameful density, but does it matter which page of IS that I happen to land on; I'd suppose only one of them contains that "Browse" link

Once having found it, do I then click on it, and if so does it give me an open window of some sort and by "upload" do you mean I then drag my photo into it

Again Ros I'm perfectly serious, your input is very valuable, I'm not simply trying to drag this out, you have to forgive my limited digital vocabulary
rosborne979

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2013 12:47 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
Yea, I have Mac's Milky Way, it's positively beautiful and inspiring.

I know what you mean of course, but that's actually Andromeda (since we can't see our own galaxy from the "outside").

Calculations show that our own galaxy probably looks like this (a very unusual galaxy):
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/2299/milkywaygalaxysun05.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
rosborne979

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2013 12:52 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
I'd suppose only one of them contains that "Browse" link

Yes, the one that says, "Media Upload"
dalehileman wrote:
Once having found it, do I then click on it, and if so does it give me an open window of some sort and by "upload" do you mean I then drag my photo into it

You can't "drag" the image to upload it. You have to select the image (by "browsing" to it), and then press the "Upload" button.

You really would benefit from some type of basic computer course, if for no other reason than to get the definitions of basic concepts like "Browse", "Desktop", "Upload", "Download", "Copy", "Folders", etc. Without knowing the most basic terminology it's very difficult for anyone to help you with things (and it must be difficult for you to learn things).
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2013 02:23 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
By the way, I think you should give up on your lame attempts……..when you don't have even the slightest clue what considerations go into figuring out the best way…….
My apologies Ros but my reference was to an "Establishment" representing at least the editing end of the entire Digital Industry, for which I sometimes use the nomen, "Mac." Except for a couple of minor details, a2k software is excellent

Quote:
There are very good design considerations…..reasons which supersede the needs of users who seem more interested in complaining about things…
My most sincere propitiation to any and all put off by my jestings

Quote:
... and for which there are very standard and very easy ways of doing……….
Quite right about that Ros. Often for instance those in the know are able to write subroutines simplifying almost any sort of procedure; and in fact I presently have a committee of experts engaged in that very job and when they report I shall forward their results

But thank you again for your patience up to this point
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2013 02:28 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
then they flip the site upside down
I also found mine upside down, instantly assumed that someone was playing with us in response to one of my own postings in which I had complained about another which really was upside down

Alas alack, complaints, complaints

But Ros if youy'll just stick with me for one more crucial point: On what page of IS am I to find that "Browse" link

Oh and incidentally, I'm wondering if you note another glitch that has appeared in the wake of the upside-down glitch: A black arrowhead above a small blue circle containing a rotating hourglass. Apparently its appearance signifies the loss of our "page-down" symbol, usu appearing in the lower right corner, now requiring us to scroll

It's pretty persistence, won't go away even if I exit Safari then reboot. I'm wondering if you have it or if not do you know how to get rid of it

Quote:
You really would benefit from some type of basic computer course,
Daresay Ros you're absolutely right but just recently given only a few more years to live I can't afford much time away from home
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2013 02:56 pm
@rosborne979,
[img]file:///Users/dalehileman/Desktop/IMG_0117.JPG/img]Well, that didn't work
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2013 03:00 pm
@rosborne979,
I was assuming it the Milky Way 'cause it's apparently an artists' concept, and shown from slightly above one edge

….enough to make you believe in God
dalehileman

Reply Tue 2 Apr, 2013 12:07 pm
@dalehileman,
Hey guys, if anyone still listening, and don't blame you if you're not, the arrowheads are back this morning; I understand that the entire rigamarole was an April Fools' thing

Anyhow still stuck at

Quote:
* On the ImageShack web page, "Browse" to you photo and select it, then upload it.

Yes Ros I did find it. It shows eight photos, none of which are mine nor do I recognize any of them.

So now I have the IS page dead ahead and over to the right I have the photo on my desktop so the problem, I now suppose, is uploading it to IS. I've consulted my No. 2 Son who usually knows about stuff like this but he didn't know. I messed around for a while (attempted dragging and stuff like that) with no luck so then consulted my Better Half, who is much smarter than I. She assumed it would be obvious but after a few tries also gave up

I'm consulting several acquaintances, at least two of whom are aerospace experts at this sort of thing but they have yet to respond; so meantime, if you haven't altogether given up on me, I'm wondering if anyone might have encountered the same sorts of difficulties and might know how to proceed at this point

Thanks again Ros and allaya
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 2 Apr, 2013 02:11 pm
Dale, did you even bother to click on and look at the screen shots I posted that shows you exactly what to do, step by step on Image Shack?

If so, what is the problem you are having in understanding how to do it?
dalehileman

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2013 11:53 am
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
look at the screen shots I posted
Thanks But but it proved upside down. I'll return to it eventually to see if it's been resurrected
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2013 12:17 pm
@Butrflynet,
Aha But, if this is the one to which you have reference

http://able2know.org/topic/152761-2#post-5292254

YES, it has somehow been turned rightside up and I will review it at the earliest possible opportunity
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2013 12:55 pm
@dalehileman,
It was "upside down" because of an April Fool's joke being played by the hamsters.

It is rightside up now, because April Fool's Day has passed.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2013 02:49 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
It is rightside up now, because April Fool's Day has passed.
Yea Frank I'd sort of gathered that to be the case. Anyhow now that it's rightside up there's hope for me. I have transmitted But's thread to my Better Half, who is much smarter than I (with many thanks to But if he's still with us), and she has promised to study the procedure

If she however gives up I intend to forward it to several aerospace acquaintances who might be able to translate it into terms the Average Clod (me) can easily follow

If successful I'll be back with a report but meanwhile, guys, thanks for your immense patience
dalehileman

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2013 04:25 pm
@dalehileman,
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/189/img0117nr.jpg/

Hi again Frank. After about 2 hours at IS my Better Half and I attempting to find a way to transfer my snapshot into this message, after about 2000 keystrokes at least we finally discovered a way to achieve the link above (to a kind of grass I'd like to identify)

This is great progress. In another couple of hours screwing around in IS we hope to find a way to post the photo itself and so I want to thank all you fellas for your forbearance--and esp to But for his procedure which appeared rightside up this a.m.

Meanwhile tho if anyone can ID the grass we'd much appreciate
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2013 04:43 pm
@dalehileman,
Hi back at ya.

http://imageshack.us/a/img189/122/img0117nr.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
dalehileman

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2013 04:53 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Hi back at ya
Ah yea, Frank, now I remember that last step

Incidentally by the sheerest coincidence might you know this grass
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2013 04:54 pm
@dalehileman,
Not a chance.

I may try to look it up.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2013 04:55 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Take a look here, Dale. You may see it.

http://www.google.com/search?q=grasses&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=F7NcUf77LcXj0QGMxYG4Bg&sqi=2&ved=0CFEQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=649