How to post a photo

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 10:36 am
I understand there's a lot more to placing a photo into a forum posting such as this one than mere cut-and-paste so to save me the entire day scrolling Google I wonder if someone would explain how it's done

....keeping in mind I'm an oldster with incipient Alz's not familiar with all the tech jargon

I'm led to believe that first one has to transmit his entire stock of iPhotos into The Cloud, whatever that is. Once this is done, however, is it necessary each time to first access its location in the cloud in order to acquire the necessary link, etc

Thanks all

dalehileman

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 10:57 am
@dalehileman,
I hasten to add I use iPhoto in Mac
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 11:25 am
@dalehileman,
Go to Photobucket...and upload any photo from your computer. Then copy the img for the photo there...and post it here.

Do one here...just to give it a try.
timur

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 11:28 am
@dalehileman,
You can also follow the instructions that worked for other posters:

How to post a picture
rosborne979

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 11:32 am
@dalehileman,
I thought we covered this before Dale, but here you go...

* Go to ImageShack.us and open an account if you don't already have one (you only do this part once)
* Drag any iPhoto you like onto your Desktop and drop it there.
* On the ImageShack web page, "Browse" to you photo and select it, then upload it.
* Then copy the "Direct Link" which is shows you
* Then open an a2k reply box and press the "Img" button above the box.
* Then paste the "Direct Link" you copied between the [img]right here[/img] labels
* Then press the "reply" button
Done.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 11:32 am
@timur,
Thank you Tim for that link though it would seem the rest are as confused as I
timur

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 11:34 am
@dalehileman,
However, it's not that complicatet if you follow the path described by Rosborne.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 11:41 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
thought we covered this
Ros we might have, you'll have to excuse an old fellow whose facilities are readily failing

Far, far too complex for me. The idea of going through that entire process to post a single photo is absolutely appalling but thank you for that summary. I intend to copy it, transmitting it to a number of aerospace correspondents who understand stuff like this, in the hope they might know a simplification

If not however, thanks again most kindly for your interest. But I now understand why more of us don't post photos
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 11:44 am
@dalehileman,
Once you post the first, it becomes addictive.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 11:52 am
@Frank Apisa,
Thank you Frank, I will try that as soon as I can work up the determination. First however I have to consult a few aerospace friends on means for adaptation to the habits of a busy oldtimer. For instance I'd hope for a system in which to reduce the number of keystrokes it might be possible to make the transfer of photos from my iPhoto to Photobucket automatic

What I can't figure out, incidentally, is why they've made it so confoundingly involved. It's easy to insert a photo into Mac Mail by a simple copy-and-paste so why couldn't the same have been done, you'd wonder, for the Web forum

Again many thanks
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 12:02 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
it becomes addictive.
Thank you Frank for the reassurance. Accordingly I've contacted a number of experts who might be able to contribute. For instance I envision a facility of The Cloud that might permit my entire iPhoto file to be transferred, eliminating the necessity for all those repetitions at each posting

Thanks to you other guys also for your tolerance and patience
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 02:30 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
Far, far too complex for me. The idea of going through that entire process to post a single photo is absolutely appalling but thank you for that summary. I intend to copy it, transmitting it to a number of aerospace correspondents who understand stuff like this, in the hope they might know a simplification

It's really not that difficult.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 04:01 pm
@rosborne979,
Ros you have to forgive an old man

Quote:
* Go to ImageShack.us and open an account if you don't already have one (you only do this part once)
That was easy but once having registered I don't know how to proceed

Quote:
I do know how to drag but I don't have the foggiest notion what a Desktop is. Could it be a page in ImageShack and if so upon what do I click in order to access it

For instance can I do so using one of these links

Getting started

Here are some links you may find useful:

Public profile page: http://imageshack.us/user/dalehileman
Preferences page: http://imageshack.us/prefs/
Password recovery: http://my.imageshack.us/registration/passwordrecovery.php
Frequently asked question: http://kb.imageshack.us/is/article?22

Again Ros you gotta be patient with an old fart like me and I wouldn't blame you if you gave up entirely but meantime thanks for trying
rosborne979

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 07:10 pm
@dalehileman,
Here, try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cYD-CKdD-g

(click on the link above)

You do have to use a bit of intuition, like on the site where it says "Sign Up"... you have to realize that if you haven't already done it... then you need to... etc.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 08:25 pm
I created a new section in the A2K tutorial just for you, Dale. It looks like a lot of steps, but really isn't. I broke it down to very simple terms.

Here's a link to the new section:

http://able2know.org/topic/152761-2#post-5292254

If you still have problems, I suggest it might be a good opportunity to invite one of your sons over for lunch and a computer lesson.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2013 09:52 am
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
If you still have problems, I suggest it might be a good opportunity to invite one of your sons over for lunch and a computer lesson.
In fact But I had done so just yesterday. No. 1 Son is due this weekend and No. 2 a couple of weeks subsequent

But But Thank you for the link
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2013 10:18 am
@Butrflynet,
Incidentally But, the pertinent posting came out upside down so I'm wondering if there's some easy way to turn it over
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2013 10:44 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:

Serioujsly, Ros, I'm most beholden but

▸ noun: (computer science) the area of the screen in graphical user interfaces against which icons and windows appear

I know what an icon or window is but I'm thrown for a loop by "graphical user interfaces". In other words, having successfully signed up with ImageShack, then having grasped the snapshot from my iPhoto I'm still not quite sure where I'm supposed to drag it

Again apologies for my vast ignorance
dalehileman

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2013 11:34 am
@dalehileman,
And look here fellas, I'm not by any means alone:

http://able2know.org/topic/211650-1#post-5292714
rosborne979

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2013 11:43 am
@dalehileman,
The computer's "Desktop" is basically your screen "behind" any applications (like a browser, or iPhoto) which you are running. For most people, it's either a big blank blue screen, or it sports a nice big pretty photo as a background.

In any case, if you drag your photo away from the iPhoto window and hold it over the background and then release it, it should create a copy of your photo (and place it on your "desktop"). It is that copy of the photo which you can "upload" to Imageshack.