of that

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 01:48 pm
Instead of this: "Geographically, Canada is a bit bigger than the U.S., but its population is almost one-tenth the size of U.S. population."

Can I write: " Geographically, Canada is a bit bigger, but its population is almost one-tenth that of the U.S."

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 682 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 02:26 pm
@rondogger22,
Sure. Nothing wrong with your sentence.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 03:31 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Nothinbg at all. However I might not have used the first comma.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 03:49 pm
A subtle point... when one amount is near a fixed percentage or fraction of another amount, with which it is being compared, we can use words and phrases depending on whether we wish to draw attention to the smallness or largeness of the amounts being compared:

I spend less than ten percent of my salary on chocolate (I don't think that's much)

You spend almost ten percent of your salary on beer (That is a lot)

Since you are drawing attention to the small population of Canada compared to that of the United States, you might consider writing

"Geographically, Canada is a bit bigger, but its population is less than one-tenth that of the U.S."

0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 04:35 pm
I have the feeling that the intent of the sentence was to compare Canada's low population density with the States' higher density, in which case I'd say something like "is only about one-tenth that of the U.S."
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 04:37 pm
Damn that Contrex, he always nips in ahead of me while I sit cogitating an answer. Gotta think quicker. He's right.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 04:39 pm
Hmm, he posted it quite a long time before me. Must not have scrolled far enough.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 04:56 pm
@rondogger22,

Quote:
Can I write: " Geographically, Canada is a bit bigger, but its population is almost one-tenth that of the U.S."

"Almost" sits awkwardly there. Better would be "...but its population is only about one-tenth..." or "... but its population is less than one-tenth...".
0 Replies

rondogger22

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 10:20 am
Thanks everybody! Canada's population is actually a little bit higher than 0ne-tenth of the U.S. population, so "less" doesn't work.

I think Monterey Jack's suggestion works best: is only about one-tenth that of the U.S.
contrex

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 12:09 pm
@rondogger22,
rondogger22 wrote:

Thanks everybody! Canada's population is actually a little bit higher than 0ne-tenth of the U.S. population, so "less" doesn't work.

Then Canada's population is not much (or little) more than one-tenth of the USA's.
0 Replies