OCCOM Childcare. Advice on caring for a 7-year old girl.

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 07:58 am
Shocked I'm spending the rest of the week being a babysitter for a brilliant 7-year old girl... and I'm near clueless. From 8:00-5:30 for the rest of this week she'll be hanging out with me. So far she didn't eat her breakfast cereal, and doesn't seem to want to eat the cherry yogurt either. Rolling Eyes Should I try bacon and eggs, or just wait for her to be hungry? Also, she is currently enthralled with cartoons. Should I turn them off until she eats some breakfast or just let her be entertained while I can? I realize I probably sound like an idiot, but I haven't been in charge of a child since ever. MOM, will consider any calls placed to her at work emergencies, since she isn't supposed to receive calls there. And suggestions on what to do with our day will be appreciated. :wink:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 7,860 • Replies: 97
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 08:12 am
Bill- Since you are only going to be with her for a week I would not worry about her starving. When she is hungry, believe me, she will let you know.

If the kid is bright, why don't you take her to a museum? Do you have any over there that caters to kids, with interactive exhibits? If not, what about a zoo? Isn't Lion Country Safari near you? I'll bet that she would love that.

http://www.palmbeachfl.com/Visitors/Activities/Attractions.aspx
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 08:18 am
Put her outside and let her forage. Feral children are cool. Just don't tell mom.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 08:24 am
I've never heard of a 7 year old starving herself to death yet. Offer wholesome food at regular intervals - she will eat when she gets hungry. But don't let her have junk food unless she has eaten real food first (if at all).

I like the museum idea. Walks are always nice (assuming there's any interesting places to walk around). Buy a loaf of bread and go feed the ducks or geese. Go window shopping at a Mall, and buy her a book or two. Read to/with her.

Our daughter is 18 going on 28. How I wish I could spend a few hours with her at 7 again.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 08:26 am
Hahaha! This is funny. What happened? Spring break? If she is on vacation, let her do what she wants!

Museums are good, if it's warm, the playground is great. Take her for a walk in the park.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 08:27 am
Three words: duct tape, basement . . . problem solved . . .
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 08:32 am
Who is this kid, Bill?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 08:36 am
Oh my god, Bill! She's going for the chainsaw!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 08:36 am
Bill, do you have a computer she can play at? My little neice already loves that and she's just 4.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 08:38 am
littlek- She shouldn't play at the computer with an ice cream pop in her hand! Laughing
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 08:40 am
Why would littlek care? It's not her kid and it's not her computer.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 08:41 am
Good thinking Phoenix, about the Museum and Zoo. She offered rock-paper-scissors over whether or not she needed fuel... I won 2 out of 3, but she whined that she's not hungry so I'm taking your advice and not worrying about it. You don't think a cultural tour this week will spoil her too much do you? Is it unusual for a 7 year old to read naturally and spell well? She loves showing off her brains, and has an amazing memory and sense of humor for one so small.

Laughing She just read all of this advice over my shoulder and thinks the idea of starving is hilarious. She's laughing at me. Looks like we're going to a museum. I'll be checking in often for additional advice. Looks like there's a cartoon that must be watched before we do anything else, lol.

I live in a Condo on the water Cav, so I wouldn't be comfortable letting her outside unsupervised. Confused

Jim you can meet us at the museum if you like! :wink:

LittleK/Gus Spring break; and her mother-friend of mine is poor, so she's saving some dough on babysitting. She couldn't help noticing I'm always fascinated by "Morgan", because I'm seldom exposed to children. Should be fun!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 08:45 am
Okay, she missed jumping rope, so now she has to brush her teeth, lol.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 08:46 am
Don't want to brag Rolling Eyes but I have a letter that I wrote to my mother when she was in the hospital having my brother. I was 5 1/2. I can still remember writing that letter, in my aunt's house!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 08:52 am
Bill, if you even think about putting a wedge of cheese on that little darlin's head... I'll slap the crap out of you.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 08:53 am
And why is Phoenix bragging about her childhood writing prowess?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 08:55 am
Hi this is Morgan the girl you have been talking about. I am about to leave the computer now do not give Bill any more crazy ideas o.k.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 08:55 am
Gus- So that you should know that I wasn't always like this! Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 08:56 am
When it comes to crazy, O'Bill certainly needs no help from us . . .
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 08:57 am
Quote:
Hi this is Morgan the girl you have been talking about. I am about to leave the computer now do not give Bill any more crazy ideas o.k.

Did Morgan type this? Hi Morgan!!!
0 Replies