Off lable uses for common household products?

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 09:27 pm
I have a truly awful kitchen. The counters are made from 1x1 tiles. This prevents anyone from rolling out anything.

I have a giant cutting board that I use when I need to roll things out. The problem is -- it slips around.

I also have a semi-giant Silpat that I don't really like to use for it's intended purpose so I place it under the cutting board to keep it from slipping around. It works great.

The purpose of a Silpat is to keep things from sticking but I use mine to stick things.

What common things do you use for an alternative or contrary to their intended use purpose?

boomerang

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 09:42 pm
Here's another one...

I have this dusting spray by Endust. It doesn't list a particular aroma or scent but this stuff smells so clean and fresh. I never really buy scented products and I never buy air freshener but sometimes I spray this Endust around just because it smells so damn good.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 09:45 pm
@boomerang,
Good question. Will think on it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 10:04 pm
Well, that was easy. I just looked at my computer screen. The iMac sits on a piece of 1 x 10 pine I varnished long ago, and that rests on a crappy white wine rack for 12 bottles, 2 layers of 6, set down instead of up to hold bottles. The rack laid down measures just under 6" high, and the pine about 5/8ths, so that mid mac screen is at my eye level. I should be a little higher, but that's a chair and pillow problem. The top of the pine has plenty of room for notes, hand lotion, removed rings, a pen or two, a little pad of stickies, etc.

As a wine rack, it was basically silly/cheap.

Meantime, that fetching sight, plus all the other items I need like the modem, surge protector thing, printer scanner, telephone, et al, are arranged atop a painted plain door that sits on old shelves I built way back when.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 10:11 pm
@ossobuco,
And - instead of either building book shelves or paying for decent ones, I bought a metal "garage" shelving set up from home depot and put my art books on that, using bungie straps at the ends so that books don't fall out. At the time (and still) I was really watching money. In my previous house, I'd had my business partner's carpenter son build me hefty and beautiful redwood shelving to go with the house and that cost a pretty penny even as a "deal". And then I moved.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 08:42 am
I thought of another one -- I use Pam cooking spray on squeaky hinges. It works great!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 08:48 am
@boomerang,
I'll be back but I learned from my father to use chapstick on things like screws you're trying to get in but aren't cooperating. Label the tube, of course.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 08:54 am
@boomerang,
This is not exactly on topic, but as for your problem with rolling things out, my grandmother had a square of lightweight canvas (as heavy as a heavy jacket, but not heavy like sail cloth) which she used for rolling things out. It was bout three feet by three feet. She floured it, of course, and when not in use, she kept it in a plastic bag in the fridge so that it wouldn't mildew. Of course, it can be tossed in the washing machine from time to time, too.
boomerang

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 10:25 am
@Setanta,
I might have to try that using a heavy weight cloth. If I roll anything out on my counters it gets a 1x1 waffle pattern.

Keeping it in the fridge is a great idea, cool surfaces are great for most doughs!
Mame

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 06:07 pm
@boomerang,
I use a damp dishrag or dish cloth under any bowl I'm mixing in. Stops the bowl from moving right now.

Thread threaded around screws that are a little loose.

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

Oh, put your icing in a whaddaymacallit - sandwich baggie - and cut a corner off to pipe icing.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2013 03:31 am
@boomerang,
An old coke can makes a great crack pipe.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2013 03:34 am
@boomerang,
'MAKE YOUR own inexpensive mints by leaving blobs of toothpaste to dry on a window sill. Use striped toothpaste to make humbugs.'

http://viz.co.uk/toptips.php

0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2013 02:32 pm
I use dental floss when I need to tie up turkey or chicken legs.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2013 06:33 pm
Somebody told me to use one of the hose sprayer contraptions to wet the yard with Dawn dish soap to kill fleas. Don't know if it works.
roger

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2013 07:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
I don't know, but if you are spraying for garden pests, a small amount of detergent makes it stick better.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2013 08:49 pm
@roger,
I have poisoned the entire yard for fleas, but they seem immune to it. I bought some of the Dawn to give it a try. I will use a bit of detergent to see if that helps.
mismi

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2013 08:52 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
This is not exactly on topic, but as for your problem with rolling things out, my grandmother had a square of lightweight canvas (as heavy as a heavy jacket, but not heavy like sail cloth) which she used for rolling things out. It was bout three feet by three feet. She floured it, of course, and when not in use, she kept it in a plastic bag in the fridge so that it wouldn't mildew. Of course, it can be tossed in the washing machine from time to time, too.

I love this idea!
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2013 08:56 pm
@ossobuco,
I have a kitchen table as my computer desk. It is black. I pushed a black file cabinet under it to the side of the legs so I could open the drawers. It is perfect for a little niche in my den.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2013 08:59 pm
@edgarblythe,
Well, if Dawn didn't work, I doubt detergent will either. Remember, it is used with insecticide to make it stick to the foliage. This might not apply to fleas.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2013 09:31 pm
@roger,
According to my source, the blue stuff in Dawn will kill the fleas. I won't know until after tomorrow if they know what they are talking about.