Punctuations.

sarius

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 11:21 pm
The bane of modern society (and most ESL teachers I'm told).

He said, "This is stupid," and left the room.
He said: "This is stupid."
He heard voices in his head: "This's stupid!".
"He said, 'this is stupid'," said Bob Jones.
This is stupid (but common don't you think?).
The Jones are stupid (pronunced Joneses?) and this is the Jones' stupid car. Bob Jones' going to the zoo.
The stupid two weeks' notice was changed to a one week's notice.

Feel free to correct any incorrect punctuations, capitalizations, and spacings (including the ones in this paragraph). Oh, and grammar too. Apologies if they were brought up before, which reminds me; they should have a search function on every forum for searching common questions so as to avoid repeating threads, which i know can be irritating. Cheers!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 840 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 04:52 am
He said, "This is stupid," and left the room.
He said: "This is stupid."
He heard voices in his head: "This is stupid!"
"He said, 'This is stupid,'" said Bob Jones.
This is stupid (but common don't you think?).
The Joneses are stupid (pronounced Joneses?) and this is the Joneses' stupid car. Bob Jones is going to the zoo.
The stupid two weeks' notice was changed to a one-week notice.

Sarius, If you like, I'll explain all the changes I made. For now, I'd like to focus on one thing--plurals and possessives of proper names.

To form the plural of a proper name, just add s or es as you would to most other words, such as business (businesses). So the plural of Jones is Joneses. The plural of Smith is Smiths. The plural of Lewinsky is Lewinskys (no ies).

To form the possessive of a proper name, just add apostrophe s. This is Charles's book. That's Henry's tape. This is Laurie Jones's book.

To form the possessive of plural proper names, add an apostrophe. This is the Joneses' book. Those are the Henrys' tapes.

There are some obscure exceptions to these rules, but this is basically what you need to know.
0 Replies

sarius

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 08:30 am
You're the man! Or woman.. Very Happy

One more thing though. Would you say that "a remark is directed at me" or "to me"? I'm puzzled because I'd normally direct someone to the airport.

Thanks again!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 07:47 pm
Not prepositions!!!!!

I'll try to answer this one. You can direct me to the airport. And you can direct a remark to me. This is of course assuming that I want to go the airport and that you are talking to me.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 08:38 pm
My last name is Coates, and the plural is pronounced Coateses, but it would never be written that way. I object.
0 Replies