GENERIC/NONGENERIC SENTENCE

Katymka

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 08:31 am
Hi, can someone please help me with this:
I am not sure if I understand correctly the difference between the generic - nongeneric sentence. All books I've read usually talk only about generic reference,specific reference.
My teacher 's given me this example: A person who looks for the infinite had better close his eyes. It should be a nongeneric sentence which I don't understand as I think it refers to all people, thus it seems generic to me. Can someone please help me? Thanks a lots
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,071 • Replies: 7
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 08:51 am
Generic sentences express generalizations about objects or situations. Your sentence starts "A person". A person is one person. To make it generic you need to make it about all people.

Non-generic: A dog that barks at night is annoying.
Generic : Dogs that bark at night are annoying.

dalehileman

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 09:47 am
@Katymka,

Wow Kat, Google yielded 70 million hits, and now I'm just as confused as you if not moreso

http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&gs_rn=7&gs_ri=psy-ab&pq=describe%20the%20french%20press%20method%20making%20coffee%2C&cp=29&gs_id=8&xhr=t&q=generic+-+nongeneric+sentence&es_nrs=true&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&oq=generic+-+nongeneric+sentence&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=3bbcd90b84c3d114&biw=1217&bih=726
contrex

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 10:01 am
@dalehileman,

Another Google Canada link? When you already have been told they come up blank for most people? Why do you keep bothering with these? What is the point of that post, which contributes absolutely nothing, when the question has already been answered?

Google links help no-one. Best to only reply to those questions to which you know the answer.
Katymka

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 10:25 am
@contrex,
Thank you Contrex for your quick reply.I appreciate it, however, what about the sentences as "Dogs bark" and "A dog barks"..They both have generic reference and the number does not play a role. Maybe it's just the terms generic "sentence" and generic "reference" that cause problems...is there a difference at all between these two?
0 Replies

Katymka

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 10:28 am
@dalehileman,
Thank you dalehileman, I've also tried to search google, but I think that the problem is more complex..I don't know the difference between the generic sentence and generic reference. I've been told by my professor that even in the nongeneric sentece, the subjet can refer to a generic person...as in the example I've posted. It's confusing..
dalehileman

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 10:45 am
@contrex,
Quote:
Another Google Canada link?
Of you say so, Con, so I'm told, I'll take your word for it

Quote:
When you already have been told they come up blank for most people?
I apologize most profusely. I attempted the necessary correction but was rejected on the basis that Google does not recognize me

Quote:
Why do you keep bothering with these?
These what

Quote:
What is the point of that post, which contributes absolutely nothing,
Which post

Quote:
when the question has already been answered?
What question

Quote:
Google links help no-one.
Isn't that a some-what overly-general assertion
Like saying let-us-pray or church-going to helps no-one

Quote:
Best to only reply to those questions to which you know the answer.
Re-member Con, after-all, I-am-a-Bot

It's like with God: She doesn't realize that I exist either
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 10:49 am
@Katymka,
Quote:
Thank you dalehileman,
You're welcome Kat, for what it's worth, not very much if you consult Con

Quote:
I've also tried to search google, but I think that the problem is more complex..
I had exactly the same reaction

Quote:
I don't know the difference between the generic sentence and generic reference. ……..It's confusing..
I can't see the diff either
0 Replies