The death of Abu Abbas -- and hope in the Middle East

Fedral

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 12:51 am
The death of Abu Abbas -- and hope in the Middle East[/u]
Paul Greenberg
March 22, 2004

The body was shipped out of Baghdad. That's where Abu Abbas, aka Abul Abbas, ne Muhammad Abbas, had been apprehended by American forces last April.

By then this man of many names had accumulated a rap sheet going back 30 years, beginning with the time he personally wiped out a family in Nahariya, Israel. (Only the mother lived to tell the tale.) Now he is said to have died of a heart attack while in custody, the first sign that he ever had a heart.

Naturally he will be given a hero's burial by the Palestine Authority. For Abu Abbas had moved steadily up in the terrorist ranks over the years, becoming chief of his own faction, the Palestinian Liberation Front. His most notorious exploit was the hijacking of the Italian cruise ship Achille Lauro, during which a crippled passenger - 69-year-old Leon Klinghoffer - was shot in the head and his wheelchair-bound body dumped overboard. Nice people, the Palestine Liberation Front.

As a result, a life sentence awaited Abu Abbas in Italy, where he'd been tried in absentia. But he found sanctuary in Saddam Hussein's Iraq. (Tell us again that Saddam had no links to terrorism.) And now he's escaped justice once again.

In its own bloody way, the life of Abu Abbas mirrored the history of the Palestinian cause over the past half-century - from waging terror to talking peace and back again.

First came the years of terror. One of Abu Abbas' more brilliant failures came in 1990. It featured a fleet of rubber boats used to land terrorists on a Tel Aviv beach, where they were supposed to wipe out sunbathers. It was characteristic of his M.O. - bold, clever, and confined to civilian targets. (As in the case of the Achille Lauro, he scrupulously avoided military ones.)

Then came the outward conversion to peace. Remember the Oslo Accords, that wondrous mirage? All would be forgiven, and both Arabs and Israelis would live happily ever after. A peaceful Palestinian state would arise next to Israel, and both Arab and Jew would thrive. Abu Abbas, among others, was granted amnesty and returned to Gaza.

Then the masquerade ended. Offered a Palestinian state that would have embraced Gaza, almost all of the West Bank, and half of Jerusalem, including control of the Temple Mount, Yasser Arafat couldn't bring himself to accept victory. Not if it had to be shared.

Instead, the Palestinian delegation walked out of Camp David, and Abu Abbas returned to Baghdad, where he became Saddam Hussein's bag man for the suicide bombers that would spearhead the next intifada. All the talk of peace had been a charade.

When arrested by American special forces, Abu Abbas was found with several Lebanese and Yemeni passports and a small arsenal of weapons, including rocket-propelled grenades. He'd been running what the Associated Press reported as a "sprawling, recently abandoned terrorist training camp south of Baghdad." The game was up. Now it has ended.

Yasser Arafat remains a virtual prisoner, holed up in his headquarters at Ramallah. And with the Roadmap to Peace having led to war, the Israelis prepare to wall themselves off from Palestinian areas. They propose to abandon their exposed settlements in the Gaza Strip and declare peace on their own terms. The practical result will probably not be noticeably different from the current war. That's the Middle East, where anything that can go wrong already has.

Fearing a vacuum of whatever authority remains in Gaza, the Egyptians and the Palestinian Authority have been meeting with various Palestinian factions/militias/gangs/gunmen to work out some sort of arrangement there after the Israelis pull back.

These are same outfits - Hamas, Islamic Jihad and the usual murderous assortment - that were supposed to be dismantled as the first step along the Roadmap to Peace. Which is one more indication of how effective the roadmap has been. Where there's no will, there's no way.

Meanwhile, Yasser Arafat's umbrella organization, the Palestinian Authority, is falling apart under the weight of its own corruption and oppression. When it's not sponsoring violence against Israelis, it's exploiting and suppressing its own people. Any hopes for a stable Palestinian state are now as dead as Abu Abbas.

The Palestinian Authority has, however, achieved a rare distinction in international diplomacy: It has become a failed state without ever having been a state.

Link
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 973 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 02:09 am
I can't see, where hope could come from this: the attack is likely to escalate Palestinian-Israeli violence dramatically.

Israeli governments had until now refrained from targeting him, fearing a firestorm of revenge attacks. Might well be, they think, times have changed now ... since one year.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 07:06 am
Forgive me my ignorance but is the guy that the Israeli's blew in pieces sitting in his wheelchair?

I usually try to avoid Palestine/Israel conversations because I always end up looking like an anti-semite because I understand the Palestinian side of things and sympathize with them. I mean think about it. There they were, all kinds of mixed people (including some Jews) around in that area and then all the sudden after the horrible holocaust the Jews were given a State and then supported by the US and others. The rest of the people called Palestinians were just shoved off into whatever land that wasn't claimed by Israel. Then to make matters worse, more and more Jews started coming so they began to build more settlements to put them, further squeezing the Arabs and others into smaller and smaller places. Then the Arabs decided to start a war and they almost won but then the US butted in and they lost. So now they are fighting for their rights to exist and they get accused of being terrorist. I mean it is just not fair. I Know that is not a popular viewpoint and I also know that not everyone sees it that way. However, I have these long debates concerning this too many times and have heard from all sides and this is how I truly believe.

What really upsets me is that all Americans get lumped in with our governments decision to favor Israel so much.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 08:02 am
revel, your argument for the Palestinians comes off as mere opinion, with no facts cited, which makes it weak. Personally, I think both sides have rivers of blood on their hands, neither side is right, and the situation looks hopeless. Incidentally, just because you don't support Israel does not make you an anti-Semite. I am Jewish, and I am absolutely against their current policy regarding the situation with the Palestinians. Many Jewish people are torn on this issue, as on one hand, they support the idea of a Jewish homeland in Israel, but then Sharon goes and does something stupid, and it's like "crap, down the flusher for Israel in the media now." Let's hope both Bush and Sharon get voted out when their time comes. Incidentally, the land surrounding Israel is huge, and about 98% Arab. They are hardly fighting for survival, as you suggest, and none of them want the Palestinians either. Think about that.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 08:58 am
revel wrote:
Forgive me my ignorance but is the guy that the Israeli's blew in pieces sitting in his wheelchair.

No, this is the guy who masterminded the Achillie Lauro hijacking and caused the death of 80+ year old Leon Klinghoffer, an old man that was just on a sea cruise.

He had been hiding out in Iraq for years.(So much for no connection between Iraq and terrorists)
0 Replies

ConstantlyQuestioning

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 09:46 am
Quote:
the attack is likely to escalate Palestinian-Israeli violence dramatically.

As if there weren't going to be any future suicide-attacks if this hadn't happened?

Revel,
I see your dilema. Both sides claim to be fighting for land they say is theirs, but consider this: How long has the term "Mid East Peace Process" been apart of our common vernacular? (all my life at least). From my observations, I think it is fair to say that Israel has exteneded the hand of peace on many occasions only to have that hand slapped by the Palestinian leaders. I truly think there are ordinary Palestinians citizens who want to live a peaceful life next to Israel. The Palestinian Leadership, however, does not.

Quote:
Incidentally, the land surrounding Israel is huge, and about 98% Arab. They are hardly fighting for survival, as you suggest, and none of them want the Palestinians either.

Excellent point Cav. If the rest of the Arab nations truly wanted to help their poor Palestinian brothers, they could. But instead the Palestinians are useful pawns in their struggle against Israel.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 09:52 am
Fedral wrote:
revel wrote:
Forgive me my ignorance but is the guy that the Israeli's blew in pieces sitting in his wheelchair.

No, this is the guy who masterminded the Achillie Lauro hijacking and caused the death of 80+ year old Leon Klinghoffer, an old man that was just on a sea cruise.

He had been hiding out in Iraq for years.(So much for no connection between Iraq and terrorists)

I thought the lack of connection was between Iraq and Al Qaeda.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 06:36 pm
Quote:
How long has the term "Mid East Peace Process" been apart of our common vernacular?

Since Israel was made into a statehood and the people that lived there already (that was not part of the Jewish nation) (so to speak, I really don't know how to phrase it)were in effect occupied.

If someone came to your house and took it over and claimed it was theirs and then said, "well, we will let you have a closet and anything that is not in our house, wouldn't you resist those efforts? Even if they divided it up evenly it would still be hard swallow because it was not theirs to begin with. If it was then there would have been no need to make Israel into a state after the holocaust.

Again that is just how I see it.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 06:55 pm
Screwed Up
"I mean it is just not fair. I Know that is not a popular viewpoint."

I agree 100% with you POV.

I have been reading about the history of this situation and it is obvious to me that Israel and Palastine are pawns of other nations.

The present Govt. in Israel and the US is not making this situation better. On the contrary..
0 Replies

Heywood

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 09:42 pm
littlek wrote:
Fedral wrote:
revel wrote:
(So much for no connection between Iraq and terrorists)

I thought the lack of connection was between Iraq and Al Qaeda.

You thought right.

Bush was pressing an Iraq/Al Qaeda connection all along. Since it turns out there was none, they had to stick to the party line, so they went with the more generic "terrorist" label instead, in order to make the lie more palatable.

We've always known Saddam supported terrorists. Unfortunately they were PALESTINIAN terrorists, not Al Qaeda.

No biggie, though. Its not like the majority of people are going to look at it that closely, thus Bush gets another free pass from the public on it.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 12:52 am
The land occupied by Israel was sparsely populated and mostly quite unimproved when the state was established in 1948. Those Zionists who endured considerable hardships and dangers to settle it then were mostly people forcibly displaced from their European, Asian, and North African homes. Their Arab neighbors challenged their existence in Israel almost immediately.

The Palestinians were offered their own homeland and Arafat walked out of the meeting. The militant Palestinians don't want their own homeland. They want Israel with no Jews in it. The other Arabs do not apparently care about the Palestinians. They haven't offered land or support. They just want Israel gone.

The Hamas and other terrorist groups strap explosives onto people and send them intentionally not to kill soldiers but to murder mothers, fathers, school children, in large numbers. This Israel does not do. But Israel is condemned for retaliating with massive force that levels homes and businesses and yes, results in the death of civilians.

I do believe the Israelis and Palestinians would live in peace and prosperity if the Palestinians would condemn the terrorist murderers and hand them over to the law. Until that happens, I believe it will continue to be an eye for an eye.

Foxfyre
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 06:58 am
Quote:
The land occupied by Israel was sparsely populated and mostly quite unimproved when the state was established in 1948.

If your house was not good and you didn't have many people living in it you still wouldn't want someone coming in and claiming it is theirs and leaving you displaced.

I agree that it was a horrible thing what happened to the Jews during the holocaust. I could not even begin to imagine the hardships and suffering they endured and the memories that the survivers carried with them. I don't understand hating people just for who they are and that was the whole underline reason for the holocaust.

I just disagree with Zionism and that is pretty much it. I can see the Arab's side with why they would have problem with it from the beginning.

Nevertheless, Israel is there now and the Arabs have accepted Israel as a State. I also agree that Arafat has not done the palestinians too much good. However, there were reasons that Arafat backed out the deal. The process should have been kept up instead of ignored the way it was when Bush took over. I blame Bush for a lot of the current mess in the middle east because of his inattention to the problem. It is better to at least try and stay engaged than to do nothing at all as though you could care or less. I also blame Sharon (xspell) and Arafat and the suicide bombers are not helping anything except to vent their frustrations. It is a mess and I don't see an end in sight.
0 Replies

ConstantlyQuestioning

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 01:48 pm
Quote:
If someone came to your house and took it over and claimed it was theirs and then said, "well, we will let you have a closet and anything that is not in our house, wouldn't you resist those efforts? Even if they divided it up evenly it would still be hard swallow because it was not theirs to begin with. If it was then there would have been no need to make Israel into a state after the holocaust.

A very valid point revel. Now, a few generations later, there are Jews who can put a legitimate claim on that house. But what about the Palestinian family who had a legit claim 50 years ago? Is there claim now forfeit? It is a perplexing problem.

Quote:
(that was not part of the Jewish nation) (so to speak, I really don't know how to phrase it)

I think the word is "gentile".
0 Replies