Wife debt paid off before marriage.

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2013 03:21 pm
We met 7 years ago she had £50,000 in credit card debt I paid it off with inheritance I received.we then got married and my wife now after two years of marriage wants a divorce I now have no money left and she's clear of debt.
Can I claim back the money I paid off her cards in the settlement of divorce??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,337 • Replies: 3
No top replies

roger

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2013 03:53 pm
@Blackrogfox,
That was certainly nice of you. Check in with your solicitor, but offhand, my guess is that a gift means you don't have a claim.
contrex

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2013 04:46 pm
Sweet deal for the lady. I always said I was born the wrong sex. Seriously, she is the kind of person to get £50k in debt on plastic and then let a bloke pay it off for her, and you didn't twig what you were getting into?

0 Replies

Blackrogfox

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 02:38 am
@roger,
It was a fresh start pay things off and get married,I spent two years doing up the family home and spent another £50k on the house which she has ended up with.
But now she says there's no equity in the house and it purely leaves me with nothing.
She's kept the house my child and free from debt.
I really haven't done anything wrong within the marriage just to make this clear and she's just fallen out of love.
How can a person be so nasty.
I'm on with my solicitor it's on going but just want to see people's advice??
I moved out on the bases that she agreed she would give me £40k but six months on I still have nothing and she says she never said that.
Everyone told me not to move out but me being me I thought she was being honest.
She's ruined my life.i really can't see a way out,just need a little help and see if there's light at the end of the this very long and dark tunnel.
0 Replies