Anyone speaks French?

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 06:08 am
She was so foolish with money that her income would not come near covering expenses, and for several months Elizabeth did not even have enough to eat. Then she found a job as visiting teacher of English to the family of a French bank manager. They called her ‘notre mees Anglaise’.

in this paragraph, what does "mees" mean? I can't find it in a French dictionary. Thanks!

View best answer, chosen by lizfeehily
Frank Apisa
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 06:33 am
@lizfeehily,
Actually, the "mees" sounds like an English speaker imitating a French accent and saying "Miss."

It sounds like the person is playing with words...both French and English...with the English imitation of a French accent...and saying: This is our little Miss English.

Just a guess.
Setanta

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 06:36 am
I think Frank may have hit on it. Notre, of course means "our," and Anglaise, an Englishwoman. The English, until quite recently, were rather insistent upon proper forms of address, and an unmarried woman would invariably be addressed as "Miss."
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 07:02 am
Burmese Days again...

In times gone by French people often used to refer to visiting English men and women with soubriquets such as "miss" "mister" "milord" etc.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 07:03 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
This is our little Miss English.

Our little English Miss would be better, I think.

izzythepush

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 08:14 am
@contrex,
You're right, it's George Orwell, not Roger Hargreaves.
0 Replies