Allergy meds or relocating?

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 06:42 pm
I live in an area with a massive pollen and mold problem. I'm suffering from allergie problems all year long, and I'm having to take allergy pills quite often. Most people who live here have the same problem, some of whom have surgery, more than once, on a "deviated septum" to help their allergies. I'm planning to move to another area, and I'm not understanding why others don't do the same.

My question is this... do you have allergies, and if so, are you planning to move to another area where you don't suffer as much?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,533 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 10:54 pm
There are many alternatives to moving. Talk to a naturopath, ask about weekly shots, I guess I'm saying chech out the the alternatives before you do something drastic. I moved for a while to an area in BC, not because of allergies. Once there, I discovered I was allergic to sage bush, it was everywhere. The grass isn't always greener.
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 05:56 am
Well, of course I would visit a place before moving there... maybe research allergens of the area.

I consider taking allergy meds, or having surgery, or even homeopathic remedies to be more drastic than moving.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 06:09 am
L.R.R.Hood- A deviated septum operation is not done to decrease allergies. A deviated septum is the partition that separates your nose into to sections. When it is not straight, one of your nostrils is not able to bring in enough air. As a result, if you have a cold, or allergy, the nostril is less efficient at clearing the mucus out. If you have a cold, the mucus "locks in" the narrow part of the nose. As a result, secondary bacterial sinus infections can form.

How do I know this? 'Cause I had a deviated septum operation in my twenties, after having years of colds that would become sinus infections, and last interminably.. Since the operation, I don't have this problem.

As far as allergies go, you really need to know just what it is that you are allergic to. As Ceili said, moving somewhere else may open up a brand new can of worms for you. Check it out by being tested by an allergist.

I moved from the northeast, to the southeast. I always had allergies. Right here, when everything is in bloom, I am sitting at my keyboard with red, runny eyes. Hey, it'll pass. I keep my allergies under control by taking chlor-trimeton. It's an old medication. You can get it for about 3 bucks for 100 at Wal Mart.
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 06:27 am
Ah, ah! I knew that surgery wasn't for allergies. People amaze me at how willing they are to have surgery when they don't even know what its for.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 06:35 pm
I have chronic allergies ( I even have permenant dematographic urticaria - pressure triggered hives - you can write your name in my skin) and for a while I was getting target rashes. I also have asthama.
Fortunately, my nose is usually clear and I can breathe through it. My sister had to get her nasal passages roto-routered, em... Drilled through because they had been closed for so long. Majorly groos, (and I hear painful) but it worked.

As much as I would hate the desert (I love lush, green planty environments and water) it might be a help for me to move there.

It also helps to avoid foods that make things worse, like milk when you have mucus (it makes it worse for some reason.)
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 06:53 pm
I'd reccomend reading a book called 'Disease in Disguise'.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0920470424/ref=sib_dp_pt/104-4201758-7763157#reader-link
The book describes many food allergies -intollerances and how the body reacts to them. I have severe allergies to fish and nuts. I was surprised to learn how wheat, corn, milk products, sugar, eggs affect our whole digestive system and the later symptoms we feel.

L.R.R. Naturopathic medicine is usually non evasive. Meaning, you meet with a doctor, have an indepth usually one hour meeting. He evaluates your diet, lifestyle, physical health and then sets out a program natural remedies. They check for mineral imbalances, vitamin deficiences, and prescribe accordingly.
I know of too many people who went through far more drastic procedures and then as a last resort turned to a naturopath. The results were stunning.
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 06:03 am
Thanks for that book recommendation! I'm definately going to get that one and read it. I've discovered a lot of food sensitivities, and I think reading about it could really help.

Thanks!
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 06:35 pm
My experience with natropaths are that they are usually dumb and their products expensive. There is nothing wrong with using herbal remedies - I encourage it - but because the FDA does almost nothing to regulate these remedies and the people who prescribe them, you get a lot of quacks. One natropath who I trust more than others (because he has a PHD) is Dr. Andrew Weil.

Did you know that many homeopathic medicines have less than one molecule of the ingredient intended to help? The water supposedly "remembers" this ingredient to help fight whatever ails you (which at that point is your wallet.)
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 06:47 am
As a chemist, I know all too well the dangers of herbal medication.
0 Replies

lab rat

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 07:02 am
Regarding moving--I've heard (and experienced) that moving to a new area may buy you at most ~three years of freedom from allergies before your system adapts and starts responding to the local pollen/allergens. This may not be the case if you move to a desert-like area (AZ, NM, AK), but it certainly applied for me moving from OH to MA and then from MA to CT.
0 Replies