Is this the proper use of a colon? If not what would be the correct punctuation?

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 02:51 pm
Petrarch believed that the mountain represented the sublime: an idea that he believed to be impossible to portray in bergfilm.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,017 • Replies: 14
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 03:33 pm
@emberwizard,
Wiz, I rather like the colon, don't know why, not a linguist but i'd use quotes, I think, "the sublime:" because the phrase apparently has a special meaning to him

Shouldn't "bergfilm" have a cap
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 05:52 pm
@dalehileman,
I thought the caps belonged on "An...."
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 07:10 am
@emberwizard,
Seems to me a semicolon is preferable to a colon in that sentence...but (as I have been reminded often) what do I know,
dalehileman

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 01:01 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Yea Frank, perhaps I was making an unwarranted assumption
Quote:
an idea that he believed to be impossible
specifically constituting Wiz' notion of "the sublime", as in

My idea of sublime: an evening in bed with with my son's wife

contrex

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 01:45 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
My idea of sublime: an evening in bed with with my son's wife

You are a very bad man. Like I am.

dalehileman

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 02:21 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
You are a very bad man.
So I gather from some responses to my perfectly innocent postings

Quote:
Like I am.
In what ways pray Con

I won't tell anyone else
contrex

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 02:32 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
Quote:
Like I am.
In what ways pray Con

I won't tell anyone else

I'm sure I'd find a night in bed with your son's wife sublime, too. As long as your son was not there, even though I'm sure he's a nice fellow.

What I really meant was, even though I am at a dignified age, I still notice pretty young women.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 02:45 pm
@emberwizard,
I like it.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 02:48 pm
@ossobuco,
I consider the colon as an equation or clarification indicator. I consider a semicolon as an indicator of a further thought explaining the first part of a sentence.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 03:39 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Re: ossobuco (Post 5270494)
I consider the colon as an equation or clarification indicator. I consider a semicolon as an indicator of a further thought explaining the first part of a sentence.

I consider a colon, especially one as old and worn as mine, to be a necessary evil to keeping alive. Goddam thing just doesn't want to work the way it used to.

I can tell you this...a fart used to be something that caused a feeling of relief; the pressure was gone. Now, because of malfunctioning said colon, a fart becomes an adventure.

I have rule number one written down on my score card: Farts never have lumps. If you feel any...you haven't farted; you've **** your pants.

(Notice the use of the semi-colons in this post. I think they meet the criteria you established.)
ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 03:46 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Well, dammit, sometimes there are surprises.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 03:50 pm
@Frank Apisa,
(I am uniquely unenabled, as I don't smell farts. I barely smelled stockyards.)
I'm not bothered by bad breath either.
Alternately, roses are pleasant to me, I might smell them slightly, but it's a net loss; I know they must be wonderful.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 03:54 pm
@ossobuco,
After radiation for my non-Hodgkins lymphoma, I lost my senses of taste and smell for almost a year, Ossobuco. It was one of the most horrible years of my life...and I freely acknowledge that I seriously considered suicide on several occasions.

Read you comment in the other thread. Sorry we didn't meet. (Actually, for some reason, I thought we did, but apparently I was mistaken. Memory!!!)

ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 03:58 pm
@Frank Apisa,
We didn't, but in some ways we have in time here. (You are in my heart, not to be soupy.)
0 Replies