Carl Bernstein: Today's media; more gossip & trash than news

drom et reve

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 02:57 am
I agree, BBB. It pains me to see how media companies gloss over a president/prime minister's shortcomings in favour of idiotic reality TV shows, (like 'I'm a Celebrity, get me out of here,') and breasts. A friend of mine from Provence and I were going to set up an Internet radio station that deals with the facts; but that doesn't get through to people like television does. Besides, even if we did have enough money to set up a TV station, people have been acclimed into wanting the stupid and the inane; and don't you Hate how people love to bask in others' misfortunes, misfortunes that they could not stand themselves?

It all annoys me; yet, the powerlessness of someone who wants to read the real issues, and the equal powerlessness of people who want to broadcast them are overwhelmingly saddening.

0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 06:23 am
Re: Georgeob 1
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Georgeob 1, I didn't start the anti-union attack. I would rather end it than continue to give you a platform to spew offensive virilent anti-unionism and anti-worker rhetoric.

BBB

True enough! Instead you started the anti-business, anti-Administration attack. You just don't like to see the same standards applied to those you favor that you so eagerly apply to those you don't like.

Worse, when someone suggests the same ideas can be applied to others ("Why stop with CEOs?") you responded with a foolish and rather childish attempt to intimidate ("I don't want to embarass you for your obvious lack of knowledge..."). In this case you overreached yourself by a good bit.

Your rather shrill defense about imagined attacks on working people are a common enough bit of demagogery - I made no attacks on working people, - only unions - and even there only on some aspects of union behavior. Unions represent a relatively small and rapidly shrinking fraction of American working people. They are a relic of the past.

I'll leave you to your little sandbox. You guys can go on stroking each other and indulging yourselves with common fantasies about big bad companies and the evil administration. However it may be useful to consider briefly how you would go about running the world if they were not on the scene.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 09:37 am
dròm_et_rêve
dròm_et_rêve, at least we have the Internet to try to get the true facts out to those who care.

BBB
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 11:24 am
Umbagog wrote:
Georgeob1 exist on Abuzz.com as well, and he is definitely not a pleasant poster over there either. He is in fact, quite vile. This is not an ad hominen attack. It is the truth.

Um

As you know, I quite enjoy your posts, and you and I normally stand together on most social/political issues, and on most, we'd find ourselves opposed to geroge, often passionately.

But the description above does not at all match my two or so years of debating with george. That experience has been rich and rewarding (though surely moreso for george). Never, even on a single occasion, have I seen him approach any behavior that might be described with the adjective you've used. Opinionated, sure. But also very bright and with a broad and enviable knowledge base. And on three occasions, he's been funny.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 11:56 am
Re: Georgeob 1
georgeob1 wrote:
You guys can go on stroking each other and indulging yourselves with common fantasies about big bad companies and the evil administration. However it may be useful to consider briefly how you would go about running the world if they were not on the scene.

This is interesting, and as far as I know, rather new in American thinking. The idea, that there is an elite, they only who are capable of running things, while the rest of us, incompetent by temperament and training in such realms are along only for the ride, is a very old and aristocratic assumption. This was this kind of thinking the Enlightenment and events such as the American Revolution attempted to disabuse us of.

Presumably we are being addressed by Sir George Ob, or what other title this august individual has acquired by virtue of his superior capabilities (and birth?). I further assume that lack of such titles in his screen name is a mark of his good humor and amiable character, condescending to mingle with we lesser folk to instruct and guide us in our inadequacies.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 12:06 pm
The purpose and function of government is not to preside over change but to prevent change. By political methods when unavoidable, by violence and chicanery when convenient. Them that owns-keeps.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 01:37 pm
blatham wrote:

And on three occasions, he's been funny.

At least four!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 03:28 pm
Umbagog wrote:
Georgeob1 exist on Abuzz.com as well, and he is definitely not a pleasant poster over there either. He is in fact, quite vile. This is not an ad hominen attack. It is the truth.

Yes it is an ad hominem. And for the record trying to get around that by claiming it's the "truth" is absurd.

Perceived truth and ad hominem are not mutually exclusive.

You've been doing this a lot. It's important to remember that it's against the TOS. Your ability to use this site at all is contingient on you ceasing this brand of discussion.

And please spare me the long argument, I've reported it to the mods for them to decide on and don't plan to be involved.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 10:20 pm
dipthong
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 11:50 pm
gluttial
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 09:38 am
BBB
Eh?

BBB
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 10:34 am
How about a vowel? Anybody want to buy a vowel?
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 12:22 pm
Re: dròm_et_rêve
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
dròm_et_rêve, at least we have the Internet to try to get the true facts out to those who care.

BBB

A foreseeable problem with this is that many governments are pushing for increased Internet censorship: when the ball starts rolling, who knows when it will stop?

0 Replies