Child detained for not acting retarded...

Mon 4 Mar, 2013 12:21 pm
http://www.freerangekids.com/cops-detain-6-year-old-for-walking-around-neighborhood-and-it-gets-worse/

Quote:

....Dear Free-Range Kids: I’ve run across your site a few times and generally ascribe to the parenting principles that you write about. I’d like to anonymously share what just happened to my family with you and your readers to elicit some feedback.

We’ve taught our six-year-old, whom I’ll call Emily, about crossing the street, reading maps, etc. As she’s learned these skills we’ve let her try them out, first with supervision, and then on her own, to make short trips around the neighborhood. We live in a fairly average residential neighborhood that has a mixture of stop signs, stop lights, and crosswalks. The state that we live in does not have any laws regarding a minimum age for a child to be unattended.

Recently, Emily went by herself to a small store a few blocks away. When she was out a little longer than I expected, I went looking for her. The shopkeeper said that as she was walking out the door the police were coming in, asking if anyone there was her parent. Then they took her.
POLICE REFUSE TO LET HER GO
Once I got to the police station they would not release her to me for over 20 minutes, though she was sitting behind bullet-proof glass just 20 feet away. When the police finally came to talk to me, I was told that they had responded to a call of a young child being unsupervised. They refused to identify a reasonable cause for her detention, or even what law had been broken. They insisted that they were waiting for CPS to respond before they would let me see my daughter, but then they later came back and said that they were releasing me to her because CPS had told them to give her to me, since I was waiting for her.
I received a letter from CPS today.

Emily knows her name, address, phone number, etc. Furthermore, the responding officer knows exactly who both Emily and I are since she responded to a complaint regarding Emily crossing the street by herself just a few days prior, during which we were detained for more than half an hour. After this previous incident her supervisor had confirmed that there was no law against a child crossing the street by themselves.

So what say you Free-Rangers to the cops picking up a 6-year-old, not contacting the parents, and then refusing to give her back? – A Dad in Distress....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 962 • Replies: 5
Topic Closed
No top replies

boomerang

Mon 4 Mar, 2013 12:40 pm
@gungasnake,
This reminds me of Mo's first day of first grade. I took him to class and told him to meet me in front of the building after school. He didn't show up, all the other kids had gone so I went to his classroom. The teacher told me that kids weren't allowed to leave the room without a parent there to pick them up.

After about one month he would walk himself one block to school every morning and I would have to go to his classroom and pick him up. Parents were flabbergasted that I trusted him to get himself to get one block to school.

In second grade parents commented on how responsible and confident he was....

In third grade they were asking me how they might get their own kids to walk themselves to school....

In fifth grade many of those kids were STILL being walked to school.

Now Mo rides his bike home from middle school -- about 3 miles. I ran into one of the neighborhood moms the other day and she complained about having to drive her daughter to and from school. I mentioned that Mo rode his bike home. She said "Oh I'd never trust ________ to ride her bike..."

We're back to flabbergasted.....

Anyway.

I can't believe they'd take a kid to the station instead of calling a parent.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 4 Mar, 2013 12:59 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Now Mo rides his bike home from middle school -- about 3 miles. I ran into one of the neighborhood moms the other day and she complained about having to drive her daughter to and from school. I mentioned that Mo rode his bike home. She said "Oh I'd never trust ________ to ride her bike..."
Well, here in German schools, pupils make their "bicycle driving licence" in third or forth grade ...
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Mon 4 Mar, 2013 01:02 pm
@gungasnake,

Welcome to libtardia, the land of idiocracy.
parados

Mon 4 Mar, 2013 01:47 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

Welcome to libtardia, the land of idiocracy.

Is it liberals demanding we put police in every school to protect our children from vicious people with guns?
H2O MAN

Mon 4 Mar, 2013 05:31 pm
@parados,

No, it's liberals demanding that America's children are kept fully exposed and defenseless.
0 Replies