What is "mogulito"

NicoLyn

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 08:49 pm
The word is seen in Michael Connelly's The Brass Verdict, where the leading character Michael Haller tells his client Walter Elliot, a prominent Hollywood studio executive, that "You aren't talking make believe movies with this week's mogulito". Could anyone explain to me what it means? Thanks a lot.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 4,403 • Replies: 11
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 10:14 pm
@NicoLyn,
I'm sure it's intended to be a dimunitive of mogul. I would say that mogulito is not an especially respectful sobriquet.
NicoLyn

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 07:30 am
@roger,
So do you mean mogulito is literally a "little mogul", just with a taste of irony?
contrex

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 11:44 am
@NicoLyn,
NicoLyn wrote:

So do you mean mogulito is literally a "little mogul", just with a taste of irony?

There is no literalness here. Mogulito is a word that was made up at the time of writing. Mogul is an English word, and -ito is the Spanish male diminutive ending.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 11:50 am
@NicoLyn,
Yes. More than a taste.

"You aren't talking make believe movies with this week's mogulito", means you are talking to someone who is actually important. I don't recall the sentence from the book, but that's the only meaning I can get out of it.
contrex

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 11:56 am
Also he's not this week's mogulito, which implies that he is not in a position of temporary prominence.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 03:41 pm
@NicoLyn,
http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_rn=5&gs_ri=psy-ab&pq=major%20issues%20abortion%2C%20gay%20marriage%2C%20and&cp=8&gs_id=5q&xhr=t&q=miguelito&es_nrs=true&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&oq=mogulito&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=46343fe1faec15bb&biw=1255&bih=614&bs=1
timur

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 03:49 pm
@dalehileman,
Dale, can't you stop making a fool of yourself?

dalehileman

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 03:54 pm
@timur,
Quote:
Dale, can't you stop making a fool of yourself?
Why no, Tim, apparently not. In what way does that link make me a fool
timur

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 03:58 pm
@dalehileman,
First, the word the OP was looking for is Mogulito, and other posters have established already what it means.

Second, you act like a bore with these endless links to searches that are meaningless.

and I could go on...
dalehileman

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 06:06 pm
@timur,
Quote:
First, the word the OP was looking for is Mogulito,
Yes, that was the word I Googled

Quote:
and other posters have established already what it means.
Okay, forgive me Tim, but so what

Quote:
Second, you act like a bore with these endless links to searches that are meaningless.
You seem querulous, fractious
Why
Please don't feel obliged to read my postings if they upset you, I won't be the least offended

Quote:
and I could go on...
Do
0 Replies

NicoLyn

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 11:36 pm
@roger,
Good to know that you read the book too. That was said when Haller was having a status conference at Judge Stanton's chambers with Elliot and Prosecutor Golantz. Haller was trying to tell Elliot that he was the boss in this defense. Thanks a lot!
0 Replies