Vocabulary 'birth rate' and 'fertility rate'

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2013 07:03 pm
Hi English Teachers,
can I use 'birth rate' and 'fertility rate' interchangeably?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 3,217 • Replies: 13
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 01:55 am
I don't think so. The fertility rate of a population is the average number of children that would be born to a woman over her lifetime if she were to survive from birth through the end of her reproductive life, whereas the birth rate is the rate of births in a population over time.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 02:07 am
yeah, birth rate is generally expressed per year, it's a measure of how fast population is increasing (or conceivably dcreasing, but it usually doesn't). Fertility rate isn't. So, no, you can't use them interchangably.
0 Replies

oolongteasup

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 08:43 pm
@Loh Jane,
Pay no attention to contrex, she is either a troll or very sadly mistaken.

Yes, they are interchangeable, try googling define fertility rate.
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 09:21 pm
no, they aren't interchangeable. See contrex's definition.
0 Replies

Ice Demon

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 09:30 pm
@oolongteasup,
I was ogling and came across the definition of fertility rate to be births per 1000 women and the definition of birth rate to be the number of live births per thousand of population per year. Interchangeable, these terms are not. Wrong, you are.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 09:40 pm
that's not the definition of fertility rate, which is basically the average number of live births a woman of a given area would have over the course of a lifetime, i.e. from puberty to menopause (that's kind of a simplified definition, there are a fair number of qualifiers to it as a technical term). As contrex said.
Ice Demon

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 09:44 pm
@MontereyJack,
It's a general definition, I've provided the link for an in depth explanations.
Loh Jane

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 07:07 am
@Ice Demon,
I am very confused,someone told me that a fertility rate is not for social one.
Ice Demon

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 07:33 am
@Loh Jane,
Who told you that? Won't that depend on the sociological perspective that you're exploring and wanting to study?
The difference between birth rate and fertility rate is that birth rate is a parameter of the entire population, while fertility rate is a parameter of a group of individuals in the population. Fertility rate determines the birth rate, and not vice versa. Represented in relation to a time interval is the birth rate, while fertility rate is represented in relation to the number of females in the reproductive age.
Loh Jane

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 07:54 am
@Ice Demon,
Someone told me online, thanks Demon.I think that I can I understand.
Ice Demon

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 08:01 am
@Loh Jane,
No problem.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 11:37 am
@oolongteasup,
oolongteasup wrote:

Pay no attention to contrex, she is either a troll or very sadly mistaken.

Yes, they are interchangeable, try googling define fertility rate.

Did you have a specific reason for insulting me, other than spite? Possibly you are the troll. I see your answer is laughably short of details.

Quote:
Total fertility rate

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not to be confused with birth rate.

The total fertility rate (TFR), sometimes also called the fertility rate, period total fertility rate (PTFR) or total period fertility rate (TPFR) of a population is the average number of children that would be born to a woman over her lifetime if she were to experience the exact current age-specific fertility rates (ASFRs) through her lifetime, and she were to survive from birth through the end of her reproductive life.

It is obtained by summing the single-year age-specific rates at a given time.

Quote:
Birth rate

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not to be confused with Total fertility rate.

The birth rate is typically the rate of births in a population over time.
The rate of births in a population is calculated in several ways: live births from a universal registration system for births, deaths, and marriages; population counts from a census, and estimation through specialized demographic techniques. The birth rate (along with mortality and migration rate) are used to calculate population growth.

The crude birth rate is the number of births per 1,000 people per year.
Another term used interchangeably with birth rate is natality. When the crude death rate is subtracted from the crude birth rate, the result is the rate of natural increase (RNI). This is equal to the rate of population change (excluding migration).
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 02:25 pm
I see the coward failed to reply.
0 Replies