Grammar

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2013 07:58 am
Hi English Teachers,
Are my sentences acceptable? Thanks a lot in advance.
1.I conjecture that it will be expedient to adjust the salaries of the local population so that the low wage workers have a chance to upgrade then produce more kids and the fertility rate will increase.
2.I am quite free nowadays, you can contact with me whatever time you are free.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 572 • Replies: 5
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2013 01:35 pm
@Loh Jane,
1. It's expedient to adjust local salaries, upgrading the low-wave contingent to boost their fertility rate (, thus increasing the availability of more such workers; whereupon the surplus will entitle you to reduce their salaries, thereby providing us even more slave labor)

2. (Owing to my recent divorce and job loss, not to mention the death of two sons) I'm quite free nowadays so you may contact me anytime
Loh Jane

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2013 07:18 pm
@dalehileman,
Hi dalehileman,
is my grammar wrong for this sentence?'I conjecture that it will be expedient to adjust the salaries of the local population so that the low wage workers have a chance to upgrade then produce more kids and the fertility rate will increase'.
Can I use ‘birth rate’ and fertility rate’ interchangeably?
dalehileman

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2013 08:04 pm
@Loh Jane,
Quote:
Hi dalehileman,
Hi Jane

Quote:
is my grammar wrong for this sentence? 'I conjecture that it…..the low wage workers have a chance…...and the fertility rate will increase'.
Not sure exactly what you mean by "grammar" but from a purely technical point of view it seems okay. I could however suggest improvements as above

Quote:
and the fertility rate will increase
…seems to dangle. I'd have said "whereupon"

Can I use ‘birth rate’ and fertility rate’ interchangeably? I'm not sure since OneLook.com is down, but I don't think so
Loh Jane

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2013 08:52 pm
@dalehileman,
Hi dalehileman,
thanks a lot for your correction,I envious of your good English.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 11:33 am
@Loh Jane,
Jane, I love you, I'm flattered
0 Replies