what does "give him six" mean?

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2013 07:17 am
In his last term he and another boy held the school poet in Special Togo while the captain of the eleven gave him six with a spiked running shoe for being caught writing a sonnet. It was a formative period.
what does "give him six" mean in this context? Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,272 • Replies: 8
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2013 07:38 am
@lizfeehily,
Probably derived from corporal punishment. To get 'six of the best' was to be hit across the hand six times by the teacher's cane.

I speak from experience being the day boy champion of getting the cane at school.
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2013 10:21 am
@lizfeehily,
"Gave him six" means that the captain of the eleven gave the school poet six blows with a spiked running shoe.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2013 12:05 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:
To get 'six of the best' was to be hit across the hand six times by the teacher's cane.

At many schools, it was the arse, not the hand.
hingehead

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2013 02:21 pm
@contrex,
Not in Australia, always the hand, in England's beano comics it was always the arse, which is the country I'm guessing you're referring to because you said arse. Doesn't seem to be a part of American school life. To be fair it was banned in most of Australia by the mid 90s.
contrex

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2013 03:22 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

Not in Australia, always the hand, in England's beano comics it was always the arse, which is the country I'm guessing you're referring to because you said arse. Doesn't seem to be a part of American school life. To be fair it was banned in most of Australia by the mid 90s.

I didn't go to Eton (my parents weren't rich) but when I was a boy my father's Conservative-leaning newspaper (the Daily Express) often had interviews with and stories about the headmaster of that school, Anthony Chenevix-Trench. In those more deferential times people like that were "looked up to" and their opinions sought about all kinds of things.

Anyhow, he was forced to resign and after his death a lot came out about his liking for private caning sessions and sexual assaults he carried out on boys. He was not unique. This sort of thing needs exposing, like the priests were in Ireland.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2013 03:26 pm
@hingehead,
The Beano is from Dundee.
hingehead

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2013 03:50 pm
@izzythepush,
I told you the Scots were good at stuff.

Actually I hated Beano - but without it Viz wouldn't have been as funny.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 06:10 am
@hingehead,
I think the old IPC comics, Whizzer & Chips, Cor, Buster etc had at least as much to do with Viz as the DC Thompson stable.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Ylv1gp9svN8/TJ0WvaxeCkI/AAAAAAAAAO4/6JURggIT-Ug/s1600/SMASH+3+rear.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-h_lD6qvAk_Q/USP7DO-0SPI/AAAAAAAABwY/XTHeorz-QZE/s1600/Wham1965+27+Feb.jpg
0 Replies