Whats the right thing to do?

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2013 05:04 pm
I have been married for seven years now (my second marriage) and my first wife just died last week. I was married for 12 years to my first wife and I have two grown (20, and 21)step sons by her. My current wife got extremely upset when my family called to see how I was doing and how my boys were doing. She said that I have been divorced for 7 years and my family and friends are rediculous for asking me how Im doing. I expressed to her that my focus was my boys, and that I am fine with the death, but that I WAS married to her for 12 years and that we have a history wether she likes it or not. I also told her that my boys need me and I will be there for them no matter what. She told me that my boys dont even call me when fathers day rolls around (which is true) and that I shouldnt be there for them now because they have never been there for me. I feel that parents should take the high road in a situation like this and I am Floored that my wife doesnt support me. Im having a very difficult time grasping the death, my boys, and now my marriage because my wife is not standing by me. To add insult to injury.....A few years ago my current wife lost her ex husband, and I drove her and her kids (which I call mine too) to another state to attend the funeral. She's been divorced from him for over 20 years! I never batted an eye and did what I think is right, but now I dont get the same thing in return. Its shown me the cold heartedness of my wife and I dont understand it. She wont talk to me and I'm lost, hurt, and angry to say the least. Am I missing something here? I couldnt imagine not being there for her....but she has no problem shutting me out when I need her most.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 873 • Replies: 5
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2013 05:10 pm
@Confusedcop,
How odd.

Have you tried reminding her of how things were when her ex passed on? Perhaps she could use a refresher.
Confusedcop

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2013 05:20 pm
@jespah,
yes...well kinda....a friend reminded her of that because she wont talk to me and she said that was different....but wouldnt elaborate other than saying she felt guilty about her ex dying because she pushed him away.
I really think she has mental issues on top of insecurities.
Mame

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2013 03:15 pm
@Confusedcop,
I'd be careful about throwing around 'mental issues' comments, if I were you. You have no idea what's going on in her head or why.

I think she's acting unreasonably, yes, and I would remind her of the facts of her ex's death and what you did for her. If she can't see reason, that's her problem. If she says 'that was different', tell her you don't accept that unless she can explain it to you.
0 Replies

carolzinha

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 01:45 pm
@Confusedcop,
Sounds like your wife is a spoiled and selfish. She probably doesn't realise just how insensitive she's behaving, but still is no excuse for not standing by you. Have you tried talking to her, in an open way? Showing you don't want to fight, just have a normal conversation.
However, this is not good. She's a grown up woman and should be more mature, and if she's not, maybe that's just the way she is. Was she always like this? Is this the first time in seven years of marriage that she's behaving this selfish? You really need to think about this situation, pros and cons, past and present, then try to talk to her, and then see what you really want for your future...and find the best way to achieve it.
Good luck!
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 06:52 pm
Perhaps when people call and ask how you are doing they really mean "how are you doing with helping your sons get thru this?"

Your wife should understand that you are helping your sons grieve.

0 Replies