Do you say I can't hear you through the phone or over the phone?

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2013 10:35 am
I have been saying that "I can't hear you through the phone", but I think someone pointed out to me long ago that saying "I can't hear you through the phone" is incorrect. Which phrase is correct?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 4,804 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2013 10:41 am
There is not necessarily a correct answer. However, most native speakers would say: "I can't hear you on the phone." or "I can't hear you over the phone." It's a toss-up which they would say, but i suspect Americans would most likely say "on the phone."
DrewDad

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2013 10:59 am
@luniawar20,
Personally, I would say "I can't hear you."

If I were describing a particular background noise, I would say, "I can't hear you over the static," "I can't hear you over the crowd," etc.

If I were describing it after the fact I would say, "I couldn't hear you on the phone earlier."
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2013 11:09 am
@luniawar20,
luniawar20 wrote:

I have been saying that "I can't hear you through the phone", but I think someone pointed out to me long ago that saying "I can't hear you through the phone" is incorrect. Which phrase is correct?

"I can't hear you through the phone," is a perfectly acceptable sentence, and there is nothing incorrect about it.
JTT

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2013 11:43 am
@luniawar20,
Quote:

'correct/incorrect' is a poor word to use to describe situations like this, L. While 'through' does not sound natural, in the sense of common, to me, it's certainly possible that it is the preposition of choice for other speakers.

It makes as much sense as over or on. Even more when you compare it to,

I couldn't hear her through the wall.

0 Replies

outgoingpeep

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2013 04:27 pm
@InfraBlue,
I agree with InfraAzul!
0 Replies

SelishLigielo02

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2013 04:26 am
@Setanta,
Here you go. ever got the same trap with you, under the advice of my uncle, I bought a wireless jammer product online, really cool and helpful, you can have a try, quite funny!
0 Replies