junkyard dogs?

Nancy88

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2013 09:31 am
For the next six months or so, Steve and Stan continued to meet and discuss the wireless business. They usually met at Apple, which is based in Cupertino, California—that’s in the heart of Silicon Valley. The first few times they met, Stan said they sort of circled each other like two junkyard dogs, trying to get comfortable. But after a couple of meetings, they did get comfortable, and that’s when their talks started to turn substantive.

What does the author mean "circle each other like Junkyard dogs?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 740 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2013 09:35 am
@Nancy88,

it means they didn't like or trust each other at first, but eventually developed a working relationship...
Setanta

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2013 09:37 am
Sometimes people put guard dogs out in a junkyard or scrap yard at night. Junkyard dogs are famously vicious. So that just lends force to RP's comment that they did not like one another at first.
McTag

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2013 01:42 pm
@Setanta,

Leroy Brown, from the south side of Chicago, was "badder than old King Kong, and meaner than a junkyard dog", according to F. A. Sinatra.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2013 01:47 pm
@McTag,
err actually that's a song by Jim Croce
McTag

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2013 01:50 pm
@ehBeth,

Mr Croce may have written a song, but Mr Sinatra was the one who told me about it.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2013 02:36 pm
@Region Philbis,
Reg et al, Jane and I thank you for that, it's not every day……..
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2013 04:51 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
but Mr Sinatra was the one who told me about it.

Yeah, he would have had to being such a shitty singer.
McTag

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2013 05:01 pm
@JTT,

You don't like him? Fair enough, but to call him that seems a bit much. You are fond of "proving" linguistic points by quoting internet "hits" statistics.
If applied to singers of popular song, I feel, this method would show you in a very small minority.

What singers do you like? Or is it music you don't like? I'm not being deliberately facetious btw.
JTT

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2013 05:22 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
You are fond of "proving" linguistic points by quoting internet "hits" statistics.

I never offer them as proving a point, McTag.

Quote:
If applied to singers of popular song, I feel, this method would show you in a very small minority.

Allowed.
0 Replies