Bush's War Exercise: The Backpedal

pistoff

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 03:58 am
Bush's War Exercise: The Backpedal

by Russ Baker

Anniversaries are a time of remembrance. We look back at an event and recall what was. Or, in the case of the invasion of Iraq, which began one year ago, we look back at what wasn't. What wasn't turns out to be almost anything George W. Bush and his associates said was. First, there were "weapons of mass destruction" in Iraq, then there weren't. First, Saddam Hussein was a "grave and growing danger," then the war was really about "regime change."

First, we were going to go it alone in postwar Iraq, without UN help; now we aren't. First, the United States opposed real elections in Iraq; now it doesn't. In an October 2002 speech in Cincinnati, Bush declared: "Tonight I want to take a few minutes to discuss a grave threat to peace and America's determination to lead the world in confronting that threat. . . .

It arises directly from the Iraqi regime's own actions, its history of aggression and its drive toward an arsenal of terror." The truth was Hussein at that time posed absolutely no threat, and the Iraqi history of aggression and its onetime possession of biochemical weapons had a lot to do with encouragement and assistance from the United States, including from people who are now senior officials of the Bush administration.

Today, more than 500 American soldiers are dead and thousands wounded, while unknowable tens of thousands of Iraqis are dead. Iraq, a mess physically, economically and psychologically, has become a cause celebre for a new generation of global terrorists. Faced with this humiliation, the administration's Department of Corrections now claims the goal was always regime change and democracy-building abroad. In 2000, however, Bush ran largely on a plank opposed to such activism.

In any case, the emperor's newest clothes prove transparent when contrasted with an October 2002 assertion by Colin Powell and Condoleezza Rice, as reported in the Washington Times, "that America would accept the continuation of Saddam Hussein's regime if Iraq disarms." Since we now know that Iraq, under pressure from UN inspectors, had already disarmed, which part of the Powell-Rice statement makes any sense at all? Backpedaling has become a Bush administration hallmark. In December, Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz declared that bids on 26 prime contracts for Iraq were open only to countries that supported hostilities.

But, on Feb. 11, the administration, with troop casualties mounting and the presidential election looming, announced that all countries could bid on $6 billion of Iraq contracts. "It's not necessarily a change in policy because this is how we normally do contracting," a Pentagon official said, in the Orwellian newspeak typical of this administration. "So there is no shift in policy here." Last month, Iraqi security forces, which we were assured were well-equipped to take over local security, suddenly weren't. Following a bloody raid on the police station in Fallujah, in which 23 Iraqi policemen were killed and many dangerous prisoners released, American officials began admitting that locals would not be ready to take over by the July 1 target date.

Nevertheless, U.S. forces continue to pull back, leaving Iraqi forces to go out on increasingly hazardous patrols. Have you been wondering about those heartfelt expressions of gratitude that our invasion was supposed to trigger from liberated Iraqis? On Feb. 20, 2003, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld promised PBS' Jim Lehrer that our troops would be met with adulation. "There is no question but that they would be welcomed. Go back to Afghanistan - the people were in the streets playing music, cheering, flying kites, and doing all the things that the Taliban and the al-Qaida would not let them do."

Yet on Sept. 25, when quizzed by a reporter about these statements, Rumsfeld responded with a total disclaimer: "Never said that. . . . Never did. . . . I never said anything like that because I never knew what would happen and I knew I didn't know." They didn't know what might happen from this dangerous gambit, and they knew they didn't know. Yet Bush, faced with a stinker of an economic situation, is seeking re-election today based largely on his stewardship of security matters. It is a sign of the depraved state of statesmanship in our republic that he can do so with some confidence in his chances.

http://www.commondreams.org/views04/0317-05.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,950 • Replies: 41
No top replies

doglover

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 10:37 am
Re: Bush's War Exercise: The Backpedal
Quote:
Yet on Sept. 25, when quizzed by a reporter about these statements, Rumsfeld responded with a total disclaimer: "Never said that. . . . Never did. . . . I never said anything like that because I never knew what would happen and I knew I didn't know."

What a dumb ass Rumsfeld is. So it's okay to invade another country and take it's leader out, kill thousands of it's innocent men, women and children, wipe out it's infastructure, cause complete chaios....etc all to later say that you didn't know what would happen and you knew you didn't know? WTF is that.

Bush and those surrounding him are a bunch of inept, incompetent buffoons. November can't come quick enough for me.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 10:44 am
Why is it that a new conservative voice gets 3 posts in before becoming completely disgusted by the opposition here, yet new insulting, overbearing, opinionated, and often wrong liberals just seem to get by with hate mongering?

Just wondering?
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 10:55 am
McGentrix wrote:
Why is it that a new conservative voice gets 3 posts in before becoming completely disgusted by the opposition here, yet new insulting, overbearing, opinionated, and often wrong liberals just seem to get by with hate mongering?

Just wondering?

Oh please McGentrix, quit with the pity party. Who said anything insulting? Since when is it wrong to give an opinion? Only when it differs from yours? Who's really the hate monger here McGentrix?

I can't for the life of me understand how any rational thinking person can defend the moronic comments Donald Rumsfeld makes. His disjointed thinking reminds me of someone in the early stages of Alzheimers disease.
0 Replies

Camille

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 11:03 am
McGentrix wrote:

Just wondering?

I haven't seen this phenomenon yet, but I just got here.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 11:16 am
Camille wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Just wondering?

I haven't seen this phenomenon yet, but I just got here.

The example I was thinking of is here.

Doglover...Take notice how I tiptoed around actually using anyone's name in my comment. That way, when you come back with your butt-hurt attitude and typical leftist whining, I can just smirk at you. So, consider yourself smirked at.

Oh, and <insert random liberal that has irritated me here> is really the hatemonger around here...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 11:22 am
Ever notice how right-wingnuts cannot discuss liberals without employing the verb "to whine?" It's sorta like years ago when they could not discuss feminists without the adjective "strident."
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 11:30 am
Well, lefties do like to whine. Would whimpering be better? Fusing? Complaining? Repining? wailing? Take your pick.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 11:37 am
Yes, to the same extent, and in the same degree as the right. The point, McG, which seems to have escaped you, is that the political dialogue is poisoned by the gratuitous and inevitable addition of disparaging or insulting terms--such as describing a conservative as a "right-wingnut," which i did not make my point. Were you to speak of liberals without claiming (without the least justification) that they are whiners, you might see a lot less nastiness vented at conservatives.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 11:59 am
I do not forsee a time on A2K when conservatives (the vast minority) are not oppressed, insulted, or attacked. As such, I will give what I get. Now, quit whining about it.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 12:03 pm
Seems to me there's enough whining to go around. How many conservative have written books or opined on their TV shows about the liberal media?

Liberals may whine, but when conservatives do it, a lot of them are making good money while they're at it...
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 12:22 pm
Doglover, I see you've met our local answer to RC. Very Happy
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 01:08 pm
hobitbob wrote:

LOL....Don't forget Semi Auto and RobtJonz. :wink:

The conservatives (which I was prior to 9/11) on this board are not oppressed, insulted or attacked. Their ideology is being challanged. What's wrong with that? Liberals ideology is questioned all the time and that's okay with me. I enjoy and feel confident in the beliefs I hold and am more than happy to enlighten anyone who crosses my path.

As for the whining issue, people of all political persuasions complain. And thank goodness they do! Contentment breeds resentment.

Think about it McG, the ability to debate and express our opinions is what makes America so great. If you want a society where people aren't free to express themselves, perhaps you would find living in North Korea more to your liking.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 02:03 pm
McGentrix wrote:
I do not forsee a time on A2K when conservatives (the vast minority) are not oppressed, insulted, or attacked. As such, I will give what I get. Now, quit whining about it.

It occurs to me that only a jackass would continue to assert that i, or anyone else in this thread, were whining. Since i would never for the life of me consider characterizing you as a jackass, i can only shake my head and wonder. Is this perhaps some form of mental illness? Are you a paranoid that you actually would expect anyone to believe that you could be "oppressed" in cyberspace? All too often, what you describe here as oppression, insults and attacks are simply cases of people insulting your political heros, which leads you to come out with snotty remarks about people who are whining--at which point, you get what you've paid for.
0 Replies

Camille

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 02:05 pm
doglover wrote:
hobitbob wrote:

LOL....Don't forget Semi Auto and RobtJonz. :wink:

Just tell me there is no local Mom49of4 here! Hi hobitbob! Nice place you have here!
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 02:12 pm
There was, but he was shown the door. Bring the Buffster and HST! Very Happy
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 02:23 pm
Setanta wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

It occurs to me that only a jackass would continue to assert that i, or anyone else in this thread, were whining. Since i would never for the life of me consider characterizing you as a jackass, i can only shake my head and wonder. Is this perhaps some form of mental illness? Are you a paranoid that you actually would expect anyone to believe that you could be "oppressed" in cyberspace? All too often, what you describe here as oppression, insults and attacks are simply cases of people insulting your political heros, which leads you to come out with snotty remarks about people who are whining--at which point, you get what you've paid for.

If I had the time or the inclination, I could look up the multitude of conservatives who have logged on to A2K (sometimes after my suggestion) only to have their posts mocked, to be personally insulted, and to be ganged up on by a vast array of personalities that, at best, could be characterized as assassins... Now I have to tell them about the environment and for the most part they are no longer interested.

Your very post is nothing more than a finely veiled insult towards me. I am fine with it though, as I have been here long enough now to know what flies and what doesn't. I have a very thick skin, but others don't.

If you can honestly say that "What a dumb ass Rumsfeld is. So it's okay to invade another country and take it's leader out, kill thousands of it's innocent men, women and children, wipe out it's infastructure, cause complete chaios....etc all to later say that you didn't know what would happen and you knew you didn't know? WTF is that. " is not a whiny, leftist statement, then I really need to re-evaluate my opinion of you.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 02:27 pm
It's the use of whine, which means something, but something entirely different from what you try to make it mean, McG. And, to paraphrase you, so long as right-wingnuts come here and complain about "liberal whiners," i'll continue with the thinly veiled insults.

Actually, i thought i had removed the veils altogether--i've been studying the Scrat School of Slander Without Consequence, you know . . .
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 02:29 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Setanta wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

If I had the time or the inclination, I could look up the multitude of conservatives who have logged on to A2K (sometimes after my suggestion) only to have their posts mocked, to be personally insulted, and to be ganged up on by a vast array of personalities that, at best, could be characterized as assassins... Now I have to tell them about the environment and for the most part they are no longer interested.

You, and others of your ideological ilk, seem to consider any disagreement with you to be "mocking." This is, of course, incorrect. This is mocking:
"McGentrix, you are a typical example of the base born plebiscite thwat should shut up and do as their betters tell them."
Do you understand the difference?

Quote:
If you can honestly say that "What a dumb ass Rumsfeld is. So it's okay to invade another country and take it's leader out, kill thousands of it's innocent men, women and children, wipe out it's infastructure, cause complete chaios....etc all to later say that you didn't know what would happen and you knew you didn't know? WTF is that. " is not a whiny, leftist statement, then I really need to re-evaluate my opinion of you.

That is not a "whiny leftist statement." It is a statement of incredulity that a cabinet level appointee would say anything so ridiculous, and that peple would accept such a pathetic excuse.
0 Replies

Camille

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 02:31 pm
hobitbob wrote:
That is not a "whiny leftist statement." It is a statement of incredulity that a cabinet level appointee would say anything so ridiculous, and that peple would accept such a pathetic excuse.

especially when our president has spoken consistently about holding parties accountable for their actions.
0 Replies