Moving on after divorce

Crapoly

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 07:48 am
I got divorced about a year ago and I met a really nice lady a couple of days ago. I feel like a stupid kid again and can't stop thinking about her. She's also gone through a divorce a couple of years ago. Is it too soon for me? How should I handle this. I've been out of the game way too long and I don't even know how to ask someone out for dinner.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 1,615 • Replies: 8
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 08:03 am
@Crapoly,
I don't think it's too soon if you're feeling this way.

As for asking her out, why not start with coffee? It's a lot less of a commitment and it goes faster. Hence if it doesn't go well, everyone gets to ditch a lot more quickly. So, something like, "Hi, Carol (or whatever her name is), do you want to get coffee sometimes? The Starbucks on 10th Street has great blueberry muffins." And of course change the details as needed.

Talk, laugh, have fun and seal the deal at the end by asking, "I've had a really great time. Would you like to have dinner with me tomorrow night?"

A two-step process works rather neatly as the first part gives everyone a chance to back out if necessary. Sometimes things look good on paper, as it were, but you find yourself checking your watch every five seconds. The second meeting is a much more clearly-presented date, and if she asks (for either meeting, I might add), "Is this a date?" you can answer with something like, "I'd like it to be."
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 08:10 am
@Crapoly,
With all due respect to Jespah who gives out great advice 99% of the time, I disagree on one point. If you're this smitten with the lady so soon, while it's exciting it might be a bit too soon.

What Jespah wrote about going out for a coffee and taking a 2-step process is spot-on!

After a divorce, there can be a lot of built-up expectations and a desire for the passion, joy and hope that a new romance can bring. Tempering it a bit might make some sense.

I think you should ask this person out but TRY to go slowly while you get your 'land legs'. She has gone through a divorce recently and so have you. don't scare yourself and her off with a potential drama that could happen from a flame-out.

If you're looking for a lasting relationship, touch the brakes just a bit.

I wish you the best.
Archie123

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 08:22 am
@Crapoly,
I don`t think It is kiddish. It has been one year...your are going right just give yourself some time.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 08:46 am
@Ragman,
I defer to you!
Ticomaya

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 08:46 am
@Crapoly,
Crapoly wrote:
Is it too soon for me?

I don't know you, but I'm pretty sure a year is a sufficient passage of time to begin to move on with your life.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 08:51 am
@Crapoly,
During coffee...divorce (hers or yours) should be only a last resort subject. Talk about television programs, movies, bowling, flower gardens...or anything else you think you might have in common.

Using "I wonder what things we have in common...music, movies, long walks..." is a great ice breaker.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 08:52 am
@jespah,
Mercy! I wouldn't do that. Shocked
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 09:14 am
@Crapoly,
Lord we all reacted difference as after being divorce it took me many years before I desire any but the most mild relationships with women.

Looking back I blow off the chance to have some wonderful women in my life because there was no way that I would ever going to grant the power to turn my life upside down to any woman.

I envy you willingness to jump back into the dating/relationship pool in a year after your divorce.

0 Replies