What does "why don't you" mean here?

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 09:48 pm
Of course, if you’ve read up to here, you know events rarely happen as anticipated. The no-show Northern Lights, Stephanie upchucking on the cruise, Panos’s Bible, even Kleinfeld’s--none of those things turned out just as planned.
But were perfect memories, nonetheless.
Because I did not have expectations. I guess that’s a lesson, if there must be one. Accept the life that comes. Work and strive, but accept. Don’t force the world to be the one you dream.
The reality is better.
So I did not fret when a host of things went wrong with the Aubrey plan.
"Your mom tells me she has a Lion's Paw!" Ellen said to Aubrey. Ugh. Capsize the surprise, why don’t you?

What does "why don't you" mean here in the last paragraph?
Who is the you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 982 • Replies: 4
No top replies

McTag

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 09:57 am
@Justin Xu,

It's meant to be ironic. It's an invitation (imagined, not spoken, because there are no speech marks) to spoil the intended surprise. Ellen, by her remark, has apparently just 'given the game away'.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 10:37 am
@Justin Xu,
Quote:
"Your mom tells me she has a Lion's Paw!" Ellen said to Aubrey. Ugh. Capsize the surprise, why don’t you?

What does "why don't you" mean here in the last paragraph?
Who is the you?

There seems to be some quotation marks missing in the last part of the sentence, Justin.

Is this how it should be?

"Your mom tells me she has a Lion's Paw!" Ellen said to Aubrey. "Ugh. Capsize the surprise, why don’t you?"

This is the same as,

"Your mom tells me she has a Lion's Paw!" Ellen said to Aubrey. "Ugh. Why don’t you capsize the surprise, Aubrey?"
McTag

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 03:12 pm
@JTT,

Quote:
There seems to be some quotation marks missing in the last part of the sentence, Justin.

As I suggested in my previous post, this makes sense as a thought and not an utterance, without the extra quotation marks.
JTT

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 08:17 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
because there are no speech marks

I guess that's what threw me.
0 Replies