Grammar

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 05:52 am
Hi English Teachers,
I feel my written sentence is not natural, please teach me, thanks a lot in advance.
'The drawings are expected to reach your office by next Monday. Hence, if you have not received them before the expected day, please drop me an email'.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 949 • Replies: 7
No top replies

TheParser

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 06:25 am
@Loh Jane,
Hello,

I would suggest something like this:

The drawings should arrive by next Monday. Please email me if you do not receive them.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 06:28 am
@Loh Jane,
'The drawings are expected to reach your office by next Monday. If you have not received them by the expected day, please send me an email'.

The first sentence is fine. I removed "hence" from the second sentence because it is almost never used any longer, except in formal writing. I don't understand why you wrote "before the expected day," it would seem to me that if they arrive on time, that's good enough. Someone, years ago, might have said "drop me a line," which would mean to send someone a letter. I don't think you would want to use that with an email, however.
Loh Jane

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 07:01 am
@Setanta,
Setanta,
it is because I want to use 'before' to replace the 'by'. I thought their meanings were the same. Thank you theParser and Sentana

Loh Jane

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 07:04 am
@Setanta,
Thank you theParser and Sentana
TheParser

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 08:08 am
@Loh Jane,
You are very welcome.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 09:20 am
@Loh Jane,
Loh Jane wrote:
I want to use 'before' to replace the 'by'. I thought their meanings were the same.

By a certain date means on or before that date.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 10:21 am
@Loh Jane,
Quote:
I feel my written sentence is not natural, please teach me, thanks a lot in advance.
'The drawings are expected to reach your office by next Monday. Hence, if you have not received them before the expected day, please drop me an email'.

It all depends upon the register/the level of formality needed for the situation, LJ.
0 Replies