WHO WOULD YOU LIKE TO RUN FOR THE PRESIDENCY?

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 09:29 am
Do a little dreaming; anotherwords, don't limit yourself to potential candidates. Mention individuals who you feel would be good for the United States, even non-political types. Share the rationale behind your recommendation.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,159 • Replies: 31
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 10:03 am
I would still prefer to see Bill Bradley and John McCain run in 2004. I'd vote for either one, but not Algore or that Clinton woman. c.i.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 10:05 am
c.i., what is there about Bradley or McCain which appeals to you?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 10:11 am
Colin Powell would be my choice. He is an able administrator, has a broad World View, is well thought of in general, and by foreign leaders in particular, and is a principled man unlikely to be harboring a closet full of peccadillos or given to embarassing public shennanigans. He has a thorough understanding of The Job, however, and wants no part of it. That alone highly recommends him to The Position.

timber
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 10:15 am
Sure, I got nothin' better to do, though I'd want to keep living here and being able to do A2K. So I'd need lots of time off.

PS Mr. Jespah might get a kick out of being named "First Dude".
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 10:24 am
timber, I feel the same way about Powell. Also, I like his experience level.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 11:07 am
Mapleleaf, Both Bill Bradley and John McCain are politically and intellectually smart, and they have 'ethics.' c.i.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 11:45 am
c.i., that is an opinion statement. Can you give us some examples? Also, can you give us some examples of politically active people who have ethics? By the way, what does having ethics mean?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 11:48 am
Let's say as ethical as one could expect from a politician (we've already had a debate on Able2Know on ethics). John McCain.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 12:35 pm
LW answered your question. I don't expect perfection from our elected officials, but I expect some level of trust. My personal level of trust for GWBush is about ten percent. Not because he tells lies, but because his agenda is 90 percent wrong. c.i.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 12:37 pm
c.i., please name some individuals in public with whom you have some level of trust.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 08:44 pm
I will not vote for a Republican in this or any other lifetime. I could be persuaded to vote for a Democrat if the right one came along. Carter and Clinton literally appeared out of the blue to grab the nomination and I expect that may happen again this time. Certainly I don't see a candidate that strikes my fancy as yet. There are always the Green and the Natural Law Parties to consider. It's quite a quandry when you can't see what you want out there.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 10:50 pm
edgar..that's a little scary, isn't it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 10:55 pm
Yes, but it's a scenario I did not invent.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 11:03 pm
edgar, I'm not a democrat or republican, but will consider the candidate compared to the others on the ticket. I vote the person, andnot the party. I'm registered now as an independent. When I first registered to vote, I was a democrat. When I saw the liberal agenda to tax and spend, I became a republican. Several years ago, I began to notice the mean-spiritedness of the republican party. They believe in small government, but it seemed to me too extreme, and I no longer believed in their agenda. So here I am, voting for the individual, and not the party line. In 1996 I voted for Clinton. In 2000, I didn't care for either democrat or republican candidate, and voted for Ralph Nader. During this last election, I voted for the green party candidate for govenor for California, because I couldn't stomach either Davis or Simon. As I've mentioned before, I have some level of trust for Bill Bradley and John McCain. I'm not familiar with many other national politicians that I would vote for if they ran in 2004, but I'm sure we'll get a media blitz on all the runners before the next election. I didn't know about the green party candidate until several months before the election. I will do my homework then, and make my choice. I also have a high degree of trust in an Assemblyman here in California, but that's because he's my brother. I trust him as an individual, but not his politics. He's a republican. c.i.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 11:12 pm
I have voted for a few Republicans in the past and always regretted it. Unfortunately I have generally regretted it when I have voted Democrat. I voted for Clinton the first time because his life story appeared to parrallel mine and I liked the answers he was giving. Plus, I wanted a Democrat. Next two times I voted Green. I absolutely despise the Bush administration, but I don't see anybody to vote for just now. As I said, nobody ever heard of Clinton or Carter before they won the nomonation. Who knows what will transpire in the next months?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 01:43 am
Were she so inclined to run I'd vote for Olympia Snowe of Maine in a heartbeat. She's probably one of the least heard of Senators but she's smart, practical, articulate and her views on the major issues coincide with mine (she's pro-abortion rights, for very limited use of the death penalty, fiscally conservative, etc..).

The only drawback to her right now is that she isn't vicious enough to mount a sucessful campaign and, because she's quite and low key, people outside of New England aren't likely to know her so she has little name recognition.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 03:18 am
"The only drawback to her right now is that she isn't vicious enough to mount a sucessful campaign and, because she's quite and low key, people outside of New England aren't likely to know her so she has little name recognition."

isn't vicious enough ???
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 07:19 am
Mapleleaf- Know exactly where fishin' is coming from. I too, do not know much about Olympia Snow. Probably because she does her work quietly, and does not get into political harangues with other Senators.

The unfortunate thing in this country, is that the squeaky (and not necessarily the best) wheels in Congress get the media coverage, and name recognition.
0 Replies

APragmatic

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 07:37 am
2004 Dem Candidate
My hope is that the Dems develop a moderate agenda and select a candidate to articulate it who has the requisite experience and credibility as to consistency with the agenda he/she will put forth.

I would CONSIDER such a candidate to receive my vote. Although I am a registered Republican, I voted for the Dem candidate for Governor of Tennessee in the midterm election because I believed his qualifications and agenda superior to the GOP Congressman who opposed him.
0 Replies