Is religion responsible for the opposition to peace in the Israel-Palestine conflict?

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2016 10:42 pm
@RABEL222,
Many Poles were victims too! 5 million.
fresco

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2016 12:47 am
I see posters are still getting hooked on 'details'. Genocide has been common throughout history, with the Nazis doing it on an industrial scale. The rationality game behind it is to socially (and therefore mentally) dehumanize the other tribe thereby usurping the concept of 'human rights'. Religion de facto serves to reinforce tribal stereotypes, despite claims to 'brotherly love', the point being that you can't be a brother of a 'non human' !
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2016 10:33 am
@fresco,
5 million is detail?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2016 11:17 am
@RABEL222,
Well you could have easily have found this from the US Holocaust Museum website

https://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article.php?ModuleId=10008193

And you don't have to go to Israel to find this

http://www.yadvashem.org/yv/en/holocaust/resource_center/item.asp?gate=2-34

You lose your bet, and it's good thing you're OK with being labelled an anti-Semite.

The notion that Jews should somehow give equal attention to non-Jewish victims of the Nazis is at best, unreasonable. Again, do you have problems with Armenians who speak of genocide by the Turks, but don't "bother" to talk about the Kurdish victims with equal passion?

Your assumption and declaration that Jews don't speak about, or worse, "refuse" to speak about non-Jewish victims has been proven to be false.

Your further declaration that your false one is their "excuse" to kill Palestinians without "feeling guilty" is repugnant and ant-Semitic.

You can't hide behind your "I only despise Israelis" bluff.

maxdancona

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2016 12:33 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Hallucinate whatever you like. The fact remains, the Palestinians refused to make peace and now Israel gets to keep the land.

The Kuwaitis refused to make peace with Iraq (under Saddam Hussein). We didn't let Iraq keep Kuwait. Are you saying that we should have?
fresco

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2016 03:29 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I mentioned 'industrial scale', part of the fallout being the establishment of Israel. yet although the actual numbers are obviously an emotive issue for many, tribal conflict resulting in genocide has persisted to this day in some parts of the world in lesser numbers. The 'religion/tribal factor'pays no heed to numbers...even one death is sufficient to illustrate it. So the answer to the Israel-Palestine conflict is obviously 'yes', given the added problem of religious 'martyrdom' playing a major exacerbating role.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2016 02:47 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
Ah, so now when faced with the violent nature and character of Zionism as evidenced by the details of Operation Agatha, you simply deny that it ever happened. I understand completely.

I've not been faced with anything. Nor have I denied anything.

Glennn wrote:
I also understand your refusal to tell me what year it was that Israel broke a ceasefire with Hamas which showed Israel's lack of commitment to peace.

Good. This means you will stop wasting my time with random nonsense?
oralloy

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2016 02:48 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
The Kuwaitis refused to make peace with Iraq (under Saddam Hussein).

This is not a good model, since Iraq was the aggressor, whereas Israel was not.

maxdancona wrote:
We didn't let Iraq keep Kuwait. Are you saying that we should have?

If:

a) Kuwait had started the war against Iraq,

b) Iraq had occupied them only in self defense,

c) Iraq had subsequently (and repeatedly) offered to withdraw from Kuwait if they would agree to make peace and stop attacking, and

d) the Kuwaitis always refused peace and insisted on continuing to attack Iraq, then

.... yes, I would say let Iraq keep Kuwait.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2016 02:50 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Since the Israelites were one of the Iron Age kingdoms that rose from the ashes after Bronze Age Canaan collapsed, why wouldn't they be depicted as Canaanites, especially in their first moments as a separate culture?

Seeing as how the depictions are of Canaanites, they're not evidence of a separate Israelite culture.

The Egyptian records specifically refer to the name of their culture as Israelites. That is pretty clear evidence of them being their own unique culture at that point.

InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
So their neighbors had some of the same cultural practices. That is not surprising considering that these Iron Age kingdoms all rose from the remains of Bronze Age Canaan.

The fact that there were practices found in various parts of the Levant indicates that these practices don't distinguish an Israelite culture.

The fact that it distinguishes several neighboring cultures (all descended from the same Canaanite culture) doesn't mean that the Israelites were not one of those cultures.

InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
The House of David refers to the ruling line of Judah. Ahab the Israelite was a king of the northern Israelite kingdom.

You are quoting the legends and mythologies of the Bible. The archaeological record doesn't confirm them.

No, I am quoting the archaeological record itself.

There are several ninth century BC references to the House of David as the ruling power of Judah. This indicates that:

a) Judah existed in the ninth century BC

b) Judah was under the control of a single king in the ninth century BC

c) a leader named David existed at some point in the history of the region

d) David was the ancestor of the kings who ruled Judah in the ninth century BC.

There are also records of Ahab the Israelite participating in famous battles of the time, either for or against various kings in the middle east. These kings would not have recorded Ahab the Israelite fighting for or against them if he did not exist.

InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
When kings promote national histories that aren't true, that doesn't prevent historians and archaeologists from piecing together the truth.

Religious leaders also promote national histories that aren't true.

It doesn't prevent historians and archaeologists from piecing together the truth.

InfraBlue wrote:
And the truth that historians and archaeologists have pieced together is that the legends and mythologies of the Bible are hardly national histories and more religious/political propaganda.

The truth that they have pieced together is:

a) The Hebrew deity existed as far back as 1400 BC

b) The Israelite culture existed in the West Bank as far back as 1200 BC.

c) The kingdoms of Israel and Judah existed in the West Bank in the ninth through seventh centuries BC.

InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
There are the ninth and eighth century BC remains of Samaria. And Kings Omri and Ahab garnered a fair amount of international notice.

Sure, and the discovery of their mention in the archaeological artifacts have brought to question the legends and myths about them and Israel that are found in the Bible.

It has also confirmed the existence of those kings and the existence of the kingdoms that they ruled.

InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
The existence of a king for them to defeat suggests the existence of a kingdom.

Actually, it was the Arameans, most likely Hazael of Aram-Damascus, that mention the defeat of the son of the king of Israel c.870–750 BC.

The existence of a king to defeat still suggests the existence of a kingdom.

InfraBlue wrote:
I don't know where the Assyrians recorded their conquest and destruction of the two kingdoms in 722 BC.

The Assyrians only destroyed the northern Israelite kingdom. Judah allied with the Assyrians and prospered for a century.

Anyway:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assyrian_captivity#Assyrian_cuneiform
Quote:
Assyrian cuneiform states that 27,290 captives were taken from Samaria,[4] the capital of the Northern Kingdom of Israel, by the hand of Sargon II.

Sargon records his first campaign on the walls of the royal palace at Dur-Sharrukin (Khorsabad):

In my first year of reign *** the people of Samaria *** to the number of 27,290 ... I carried away.

Fifty chariots for my royal equipment I selected. The city I rebuilt. I made it greater than it was before.

People of the lands I had conquered I settled therein. My official (Tartan) I placed over them as governor. (L.ii.4.)[4]

InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Science and history firmly establish that the Hebrew deity existed as early as 1400 BC, that the Israelite culture existed in the West Bank area as early as 1200 BC, and that the Israelite kingdoms of Judah and Israel existed in the ninth through seventh centuries BC.

The scientific and historical discoveries call into question the legends and myths concerning the Hebrew deity and Israelite kingdoms found in the Bible.

The discoveries do however prove the existence of the kingdoms.

InfraBlue wrote:
That the Zionists base their claims of ownership of Palestine on these legends and myths is risible.

I think they base their ownership claims on history and archaeology.

InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
Those haplotypes originate from the Middle East in general, not the West Bank in particular,

We know from history and archaeology exactly where the Jewish homeland is.

Your assertion about the Jewish homeland has nothing to do with the genetic origins of a minority of Ashkenazim.

It is straightforward logic that they came from their own homeland, and not from someone else's homeland.

InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
The fact that they interbred with others during their forced exile does not remove their right to their ancient homeland.

Like I said, your assertions are preposterous.

I find it reasonable to respect indigenous rights.
Glennn

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2016 04:04 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
I've not been faced with anything.

But only because you refuse to look. So I'll try again. Describe the details of Operation Agatha, and how it speaks to the violent nature and character of Zionism.
Quote:
This means you will stop wasting my time with random nonsense?

There is nothing random or nonsensical in my asking you to tell me what year it was that Israel broke a ceasefire with Hamas, or how such a thing speaks to Israel's lack of commitment to peace. You believe that answering those questions are a waste of time because the answers would go against your long-held beliefs.
oralloy

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2016 04:29 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
You believe that answering those questions are a waste of time because the answers would go against your long-held beliefs.

The Olympics are over. Azeroth beckons.
Glennn

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2016 05:04 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
The Olympics are over. Azeroth beckons.

TRANSLATION: The answer to your questions, Glennn, make me uncomfortable enough to cut off communication with you.
RABEL222

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2016 05:36 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yes, many eastern Europian people were victims. Not just Jews. It is now estimated that more than 20 million people were executed, not just the 6 million Jews. It irritates the hell out of me that Netanyahu uses the holocaust as an excuse to kill Palistanians with no one calling him on it in the U S . He is another Stalin. If I said Hitler I would have been jumped on by a bunch of conservatives who think Netanyahu right and just.
RABEL222

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2016 05:42 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
US Holocaust Museum website

This isent the Isralie holocaust site. I'll admit the U S site is more factual than the Isralie site. And I dident lose anything to a prevaricator like you.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2016 06:29 pm
@RABEL222,
Why our government feels it has a need to support Israel when they are the perpetrators of atrocities (against Palestinians) boggles the mind.
I've been to Israel, and Palestinians are not treated equally. Even many Jews are against what's happening in Israel. Nut'nyahoo is a disgrace to huamanity.
perennialloner

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2016 06:47 pm
@cicerone imposter,
jew aren't even treated equally. it's outlandish to think palestinians are.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2016 06:50 pm
@perennialloner,
I've been to Israel several times, and have never seen Jews mistreated by other Jews. Please provide evidence of this unequal treatment of Jews by Jews.
What I've seen are checkpoints with armed soldiers where Palestinians are not free to travel. Palestinians have green license plates. There are walls surrounding Palestinian villages.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2016 06:57 pm
@perennialloner,
How Jews are expanding their settlements on Palestinian lands; illegal by international laws.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_law_and_Israeli_settlements
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2016 07:00 pm
@cicerone imposter,
http://www.nkusa.org/AboutUs/Zionism/opposition.cfm
Many Jews do not agree with Zionism.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2016 07:13 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
The Egyptian records specifically refer to the name of their culture as Israelites. That is pretty clear evidence of them being their own unique culture at that point.

The Merneptah Stele doesn't make reference to culture.
The line where Israel is thought to be mentioned is:
"Israel is laid waste and his seed is not."
oralloy wrote:
The fact that it distinguishes several neighboring cultures (all descended from the same Canaanite culture) doesn't mean that the Israelites were not one of those cultures.

Right. You, however, had conflated Jewish dietary practices with evidence of Israelites. These practices are evidenced throughout the region, so they don't distinguish "Israelite culture" specifically.
oralloy wrote:
There are several ninth century BC references to the House of David as the ruling power of Judah. This indicates that:
a) Judah existed in the ninth century BC
b) Judah was under the control of a single king in the ninth century BC
c) a leader named David existed at some point in the history of the region
d) David was the ancestor of the kings who ruled Judah in the ninth century BC.

You're presuming what isn't there.
The Tel Dan Stele from that time period says:
Quote:
[I killed
Jeho]ram son of [Ahab]
king of Israel, and killed [Ahaz]iahu son of
[Jehoram kin]
g of the House of David. And I set [their towns into
ruins and turned]
their land into [desolation ...]
other [... and Jehu ru]
led over Is[rael ... and I laid]
siege upon [... ]

Nowhere does it mention Judah.
oralloy wrote:
There are also records of Ahab the Israelite participating in famous battles of the time, either for or against various kings in the middle east. These kings would not have recorded Ahab the Israelite fighting for or against them if he did not exist.

Right. I was referring to your assertions about David which the archaeological record does not confirm.
oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
Actually, it was the Arameans, most likely Hazael of Aram-Damascus, that mention the defeat of the son of the king of Israel c.870–750 BC.
The existence of a king to defeat still suggests the existence of a kingdom.
The Assyrians only destroyed the northern Israelite kingdom. Judah allied with the Assyrians and prospered for a century.

I was referring to your assertion that Assyria recorded its conquest and destruction of the two kingdoms in 722 BC. In the Sargon Inscription, or Prism, it refers to Sargon besieging a town in Samaria, not the conquest and destruction of Israel nor Judah for that matter.
Here's a better translation:
Quote:
At the beginning of my royal rule, I…the town of the Samarians I besieged, conquered (2 Lines destroyed) [for the god…] who let me achieve this my triumph… I led away as prisoners [27,290 inhabitants of it (and) equipped from among them (soldiers to man)] 50 chariots for my royal corps…. The town I rebuilt better than it was before and settled therein people from countries which I had conquered. I placed an officer of mine as governor over them and imposed upon them tribute as is customary for Assyrian citizens. (Nimrud Prism IV 25‑41)

oralloy wrote:
The discoveries do however prove the existence of the kingdoms.

The scant discoveries call into question the legends and myths found in the Bible which is where we get most of the information about these kingdoms, which is the point I've been making.
oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
That the Zionists base their claims of ownership of Palestine on these legends and myths is risible.

I think they base their ownership claims on history and archaeology.

They base their claims of ownership on the legends and myths of the Bible, i.e. they or their ancestors followed a religion with claims to Palestine, therefor they own Palestine. This assertion is complete and utter nonsense.

The arguments about the House of David and the House of Omri back in the days of Aram-Damascus and Assyria are plainly irrelevant to their preposterous stance.
oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
Those haplotypes originate from the Middle East in general, not the West Bank in particular,

We know from history and archaeology exactly where the Jewish homeland is.

Your assertion about the Jewish homeland has nothing to do with the genetic origins of a minority of Ashkenazim.

It is straightforward logic that they came from their own homeland, and not from someone else's homeland.

Right, it is straightforward logic that they came from their own homeland, i.e. the places the Zionist Ashkenazim were indigenous to, e.g. Central and Eastern Europe.

oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
The fact that they interbred with others during their forced exile does not remove their right to their ancient homeland.

Like I said, your assertions are preposterous.

I find it reasonable to respect indigenous rights.

Right, it is reasonable to respect indigenous rights. It is completely delusional to claim ownership of Palestine based on the legends and myths found in the Bible as the Zionists assert, however.