Obama's State of the Union

raprap

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 05:38 am
@oralloy,
Now thats a real knee slapper, Oraboy---the NRA has 'integrity'.

With leadership like this---your definition of 'integrity' is perverted.

NRA Leaders' Links To Political Corruption
http://www.meetthenra.org/ties?tid=13

As for defending freedom--it is becoming more and more apparent that the NRA is perfectly willing to crucify the balance of the constitution on the cross of the 2nd.

Rap
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 07:47 am
I really don't know a great deal about the type of healthcare provision that Obama is setting up. However, a lot of the arguments against Universal Health Care are very similar to those used by opponents of the NHS.

Now the NHS is a much loved institution, and any politician that attacks it does so at their peril. If a similar thing happens in America, its opponents will find that they've shot themselves in the foot by constantly referring to it as 'Obamacare.' His name will live on because it will constantly be associated with an institution that is loved.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 11:14 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
the take away is lost opportunity...this was the time for some great idea or grand gesture that might give America hope that Washington might soon get their **** together a little bit. we got nothing, just more of the boiler plate political clap-trap that we have been hearing for years.

I saw lots of leadership. I don't understand what guys like McConnell want? They want him to decide to lead and do their ideas, which is nothing except spend less and do nothing else. To me suggesting that we put people to work fixing our infrastructure, bridges, etc, when we have unemployment is a damn good idea and I don't understand how anyone can be against it.

I don't think Obama has any chance at all of 'Washington getting their **** together'. The repubs had basically decided they are not going to let any democrat be successful, regardless if it would benefit the country.
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 11:16 am
@IRFRANK,
IRFRANK wrote:

I saw lots of leadership.

From who?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 03:55 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
Further cuts in military spending are bad though. We've already cut the military as much as it can stand to be cut. Any deficit reduction is going to have to come from someplace else.

I'm not sure where you get we have cut military spending. In terms of percentage of GDP, acutal dollars and inflation adjusted dollars, we are at a high point. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/86/InflationAdjustedDefenseSpending.PNG
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 05:02 pm
@engineer,
According to everybody massive defense cuts are locked and loaded. Funny how what was supposed to be cuts that the GOP for sure would not let happen have become cuts that the gop wants to happen. Washington miscalculated...again.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 05:44 pm
@hawkeye10,
America miscalculated financial risk, we miscalculate homeland security risks, all of our last wars have been gigantic miscalculations, we miscalculate risk to our kids, we miscalculate how to grow happy and healthy adults, we miscalculate............
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 06:07 pm
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Rvg83M-1IqQ/URrHY5LKuMI/AAAAAAAAUyE/vnZAe5j2viQ/s640/obama+sotu+2013.jpg
farmerman

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 06:34 pm
@H2O MAN,
I remember during Christmas season 2011, a lot of the conservative Limbaugh ass lickers were predicting that 2012 was gonna be a financial disaster and te stock market would tank and gold would be over 3000$/oz

WELL, Im glad we made it through that calamity, GOP predictions are sorta like the Mayan Calendar.(Except whenever they are in the Whote House). HMMMM do you think that theres some sort of conspiracy of GOP Bullshit out there?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 06:42 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
I'm not sure where you get we have cut military spending.

I get it from all the vital weapons programs that the liberals have gleefully eliminated over the years, particularly recently. We're down to our last few weapons programs. If these weapons systems are also cancelled, we are going to have to stop defending the free world and let the bad guys take over the planet.

That's why if the sequester is triggered, this time the spending cuts will have to mostly come out of soldiers' paychecks and veterans' healthcare.
IRFRANK

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 06:46 pm
@engineer,
Well said. It amazes me how many people think they know something about economics while being clueless. They don't know the difference between micro and macro economics.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 06:46 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
I get it from all the vital weapons programs that the liberals have gleefully eliminated over the years, particularly recently.

Which 'vital' weapons programs have been eliminated by Liberals, exactly?

Cycloptichorn
IRFRANK

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 06:48 pm
@H2O MAN,
You do know that 'trickle down' economics has been proven wrong, right?
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 06:52 pm
@IRFRANK,

Maybe, maybe not, but Obama's 'trickle up poverty' and increased
dependence on big government hand outs is working quite well, right?
IRFRANK

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 07:04 pm
@H2O MAN,
This is pointless. I should know better.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 07:33 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Which 'vital' weapons programs have been eliminated by Liberals, exactly?

Cycloptichorn

In recent times, the one that really stands out is the F-22 fighter.

It is funny, a lot of our allies begged to be allowed to buy F-22s for themselves, with their own money, and the liberals blocked even that.

Now, as a consequence of ending the F-22 program, we have only the F-35 to modernize our Air Force with.

If we were to now also do away with the F-35, we will have to start thinking about how to fend off Chinese stealth fighters using non-stealth fighter technology from the 1980s.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 07:35 pm
@oralloy,
we are at war with China?

who knew...
oralloy

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 08:00 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
we are at war with China?

who knew...

Certainly everyone who follows the news knows that war with China may well be coming soon, with only two possibilities of avoiding it.

One of those possibilities involves us being strong enough to fight China, leading to them deciding that they don't want to conquer the world after all.

The other possibility involves us meekly standing aside and letting China conquer the world, stamping out all freedom and democracy as they go.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 08:01 pm
@oralloy,
or we could quit borrowing money from them...
oralloy

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 08:17 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
or we could quit borrowing money from them...

That will not deter China from trying to conquer the world.

Reducing the national debt would be a good thing though. It is a shame that Obama would not compromise with Boehner.

I bet Boehner would like to see Obama and Cantor given Nerf toys to bash each other with, and then locked in a small room to have at each other.
0 Replies