Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 02:40 am
Hi English Teachers,
Please let me know if my sentence is acceptable because the word ‘as well as’ has confused me, thanks in advance.

My nephew was naughty at Chinese New Year eve as well as the first day of New Year; unexpectedly she is obedient today.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 976 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 03:28 am
@Loh Jane,
Loh Jane wrote:
Hi English Teachers,
Please let me know if my sentence is acceptable because the word ‘as well as’ has confused me, thanks in advance.

My nephew was naughty at Chinese New Year eve as well as the first day of New Year; unexpectedly she is obedient today.

"As well as" (which is not a word, it's a phrase made up of three words) simply means "also." So you could substitute "and also" in the sentence: My nephew was naughty at Chinese New Year eve and also the first day of New Year . . .

There are a few minor problems here. One would say: "on the first day of the new year . . . " or, "on New Year's Day" (a recognized holiday in the West, i don't know if it is appropriate to apply that to the Chinese New Year).

Also, you write "my nephew," and then in the second clause, you use the third person singular pronoun "she." A nephew is masculine. You should either use "nephew" and "he," or "niece" (feminine) and "she."
Loh Jane

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 03:43 am
@Setanta,
Hi Setanta,
your English is really great,thanks for your explanation.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 03:54 am
Thank you--your English is quite good, too.
0 Replies