English Questions

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 05:24 am
Hi English Experts,
please kindly mark my sentence, thanks in advance.
1)I have been confused in an English forum and I hope that I can ascertain/confirm the meaning of a word here.
2) I wake up early this weekend for/because of an advancement of English.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 999 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 05:49 am
You don't tell us what word you want confirmed. This:

"I wake up early this weekend for/because of an advancement of English."

. . . is a nonsense sentence. You might write: "I woke up early this weekend because of an advancement in English." But that still doesn't make sense. Did you wake up because you were worried about an advancement in English? What do you mean by "an advancement in English?"
GawDesmond

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 07:24 am
@Setanta,
The word is 'ascertain'. Can I use it like 'confirm'?
izzythepush

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 07:35 am
@GawDesmond,
The two are synonyms, but Setanta is quite correct, your original sentence does not make sense and we can only guess at the intended meaning.

'I wake up early this weekend for/because of an advancement of English.'

For a start we normally use the past tense when writing prose, so.

1) I woke up early this morning because my English class is at 7am.

2) I was so worried about my English class that I couldn't sleep, and I woke up early.

3) I woke up early because I was doing so well at English, I wanted to show off to the rest of the class.

All three examples are just guesses at what meaning you're trying to portray in your sentence.
Setanta

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 07:37 am
In that sentence the two words can be used interchangeably. However, to ascertain means to discover, to find out--there is no implication that you know the answer you seek, or have any idea what the answer may be. Confirm has an entirely different meaning, in that it meas to assure that what one believes to be true is actually true--the implication is that you think you know the answer you seek, but that you want someone to assure you that you are correct. The two words are not synonyms.

You still have not explained what you are attempting to say in the second sentence. What do you mean by "an advancement in English?"
izzythepush

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 07:48 am
@Setanta,
Synonyms don't have identical meanings, there's always some nuance.
0 Replies

GawDesmond

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 07:50 am
@Setanta,
Hi,
an advancement in English means I wanted to improve my English therefore I woke up early and hoped that someone could explain the meaning of 'ascertain' to me.
How about 'for'?Can I use it to replace 'because of'?
Thanks for the explanations.
GawDesmond

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 07:53 am
@GawDesmond,
Hi,
can I say that 'I want to ascertain the usage of some words and this is the reason why I woke up early'?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 08:11 am
No, you cannot say "because for" . . . however, your last sentence is acceptable, it's perfect English. Rather than say "advancement in English" (advancement is usually taken to mean a promotion in one's profession), i suggest you use the verb you have already used--improve.
contrex

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 08:43 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
to ascertain means to discover, to find out--there is no implication that you know the answer you seek, or have any idea what the answer may be. Confirm has an entirely different meaning, in that it meas to assure that what one believes to be true is actually true

Yes. You beat me to it.

0 Replies

GawDesmond

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 08:44 am
@Setanta,
Hi,
How about this sentence''I want to ascertain the usage of some words and this is the reason why I woke up early'?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 12:10 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
For a start we normally use the past tense when writing prose, so.

1) I woke up early this morning because my English class is at 7am.

Quote:
Setanta: "I wake up early this weekend for/because of an advancement of English."

. . . is a nonsense sentence.

While the OP likely meant to describe a past situation, there is nothing wrong with using the present tense form 'wake' in the appropriate context. It describes a scheduled event, similar to,

I leave for Kabul on Monday.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 12:50 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
No, you cannot say "because for"

I don't believe the OP asked that.

This is what the OP asked.

How about 'for'?Can I use it to replace 'because of'?
0 Replies