Bayeux Tapestry Finally Completed.

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 03:21 am
In a similar vein to the thread on Richard III, I'm sharing a 'history' story that's had quite a bit of airtime over here in the past few days.

Quote:
Stitchers in the tiny island of Alderney have completed their version of the Bayeux Tapestry ending.

The tapestry is 70m long and woven to tell the tale of the final days of King Harold's final encounter with William the Conqueror in battle.

But until now that tale did not include the coronation of William, which happened on Christmas Day 1066.

Historians believe the final segment of the Bayeux Tapestry was lost so islanders began making their own.

Members of the Alderney Tapestry Project started the project a year ago and have just finished.

Kate Russell, Alderney librarian, along with 416 Alderney residents worked on the project.

She said: "I have been fascinated by the Bayeux Tapestry since I first learnt about it. When we thought about it we thought, 'why not make something original to the Channel Islands?'"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-guernsey-21390820
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,415 • Replies: 11
No top replies

saab

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 04:05 am
This is a wonderful story when an interest turns into obsession.
Kate Russel herself called it an obsession.
Fantastic - and just by ordinary people.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 06:10 am
@saab,
It is quite nice, especially when a tiny community all pulls together like that.
farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 06:40 am
@izzythepush,
Im still confused. Why did you guys pave over Richard III. Is that what killed him?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 06:40 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Quote:
She said: "I have been fascinated by the Bayeux Tapestry since I first learnt about it. When we thought about it we thought, 'why not make something original to the Channel Islands?'"

I had had my (major) exams in Medieval History at university about La telle du conquest (aka Tapisserie de la reine Mathilde or Bayeux Tapestry). I've passed the museum dozens of times ... but never saw the original ... ...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 06:42 am
@izzythepush,
Fortunately we dont have that long in history to force us to commemorate **** in these huge epic tapestries.

We do, however, have a large mural of the Battle of Gettysburg that was done in Jelly Beans, or Leggos, I forget which..

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 06:51 am
@farmerman,
Well, in those days, when the Gettysburg Cyclorama was done and exhibited, most people here in Europe could already read ... Wink
farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 06:55 am
@Walter Hinteler,
yes but "Picture worth 1000 words"
Especially when it is in jelly beans or Leggos
izzythepush

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 06:59 am
@farmerman,
Hamlet was the one for Lego, not Richard III.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 08:37 am
There is something about that I, II, III, IV...stuff that sends chills through my spine.

When my first wife divorced me...she said one reason she did is because I always used to refer to her as "my first wife."

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 08:40 am
By the way, Izzy...I am now doing "moderates" fairly successfully. I tried one "hard" and didn't finish it.

(To the others: Look up Killer Sudokus!)
izzythepush

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 09:44 am
@Frank Apisa,
I think we're probably on the same page.
0 Replies