Where is the self? How can dualism stand if it's just a fiction?

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 05:33 pm
@igm,
What kind of "proof" are you talking about. Even in religious belief, there are millions who "believe" they have a god. What more evidence does one need than the practice of humans? Are you saying they are non-critical thinkers? By what measure?
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 07:27 pm
@igm,
igm wrote:
A 'self' would need 'characteristics' so the Buddha is skeptical because he can't find any, anywhere.

I'm afraid I didn't make myself clear. I realize that the Buddha was skeptical about the existence of the self. That's what you said in your initial post. But to be a total skeptic about the existence of the self, he would also have to be skeptical about the non-existence of the self. That, I'm confident, still hasn't been established.
IRFRANK

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 07:39 pm
@igm,
I would say that the mind as phenomena requires energy to exist. The body supplies the energy. When the body stops supplying that power source, how can the mind continue?
IRFRANK

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 07:43 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Millions of humans believing something is hardly evidence. There are many examples of millions of humans believing in fallacy.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 08:48 pm
@IRFRANK,
I know it's not "real/true" evidence, but it has support of those who believe it to be true.
Nobody will be able to convince them that whatever evidence they have is not true. Nobody.

That's the reason why I wrote,
Quote:
What more evidence does one need than the practice of humans? Are you saying they are non-critical thinkers? By what measure?
IRFRANK

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 09:00 pm
@cicerone imposter,
then i would say they are not critical thinkers.
or perceptive.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 09:05 pm
@IRFRANK,
How can you conclude that when there are so many in the professional fields who are religious. Put another way, how can 80% of Americans believe in their religions if they are not critical thinkers?
Looking4Truth

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 09:23 pm
@igm,
What and where is "self"?

I ask how does one loose thy self?

Know thy self.

Do you really think that the "dash" between the two dates on your tomb stone makes up all that you are? Just because your memories die doesn't mean your experiences are gone. Ones "self", once created, can never be destroyed. The "self" is infinite. There's not enough words created for my explanation. Just because I can't show you what I see, doesn't mean that I don't see what I'm trying to say. For you to take me at my word would be to much to ask for.

Understanding comes from within when truth is without. To know your "self" is to understand the "without" from"within".

Just because you don't understand doesn't mean there is no "self".
There are people with questions and people with answers. There are people who know and people who think they know. If you find your "self", you'll loose yourself. If you loose your "self", you'll find yourself.

Are you lost? Do you know your "self"? Who have you been? Who have you become? Only few, If any, will understand. Remember the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid).

All that idolize the supposible "geniouses" need to find "self" and know what it means to be humble. To be humble not on my means that you're no better than others, but also means that others are no better than you. We are ALL equal, so start acting like it. Know for your self. If lost, then look. You'll find what yo u seek.
MattDavis

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 09:33 pm
@IRFRANK,
IRFRANK wrote:
I would say that the mind as phenomena requires energy to exist. The body supplies the energy. When the body stops supplying that power source, how can the mind continue?

I would agree with your assessment.
If eternity is what one seeks, one would have to find it by stepping into a timelessness, by identifying not with the body. I don't mean this is some ephemeral sense. I mean stop caring so much about the self. Be just has happy that anyone is being, as you are that you are being.
Celebrate being, but don't worship it (or lament it).
Looking4Truth

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 09:53 pm
@MattDavis,
I agree. Celebrate the "being", and don't praise it. If you want to praise anything, praise the artist of the being. The only ones who should worship are the ones who see what happens next. We aren't even ready to celebrate, let alone worship. The reason for the "being" isn't fulfilled yet. That's why many disbelieve a reason for anything. I don't blame anyone who doesn't believe in an artist. I don't blame anyone who doesn't see what's going on. I believe there's a reason for the artist's suprise. I believe, from what has been shown to me, that you may be adjitated, but your going to be astounded. I can't, but must, wait for this amazing event.

Just be, wait, and see. After all, that's all we can do.
MattDavis

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 10:19 pm
@Looking4Truth,
Waiting for a rapture?
What do you make of Christ's claim that the kingdom of heaven is upon us?
Maybe that people should stop waiting for "God" to fix things?
Maybe that people should start taking responsibility and not wait for salvation from suffering?
I hope if you are a Christian that you are acting to reduce the suffering that is upon us, as Christ challenged you to do.
Thomas

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 10:20 pm
@igm,
igm wrote:
The Buddha said that there is no self, ego, Atman, soul (all are synonymous for the purposes of this discussion).

Before we discuss whether there is a self or not, let's clarify a point of procedure: Why should anyone care what the Buddha said about the topic?

igm wrote:
The burden of proof is with anyone who says there is a truly existing self.

Why?

igm wrote:
Please discuss,

I believe that our egos are something real, based on at least three pieces of evidence:
  • my own experience of having an ego,

• eyewitness accounts (or should that be brainwitness accounts?) of others consistent with my own experience, and

• that the alternative notion, that our egos are delusions, leads to internal contradictions. (If the self is a delusion, who if not the self is deluded here?)
I guess it's a matter of definition whether I'm a dualist or not. I believe that selves emerge from the operation of our bodies in general and of our brains in particular, just as the holes in Swiss cheese emerge from the fermentation of milk. Is a hole categorically different from a cheese? Are the holes and the cheese just mirror aspects of the same thing? Should philosophers care about the difference between these views? I'm pretty sure the answers are "maybe", "maybe", and "no" in the case of Swiss cheese. I personally take the same view on the mind-body dualism.
MattDavis

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 10:47 pm
@Thomas,
Hey Thomas,
I don't know if you subjected yourself to the entirety of the thread up to the present, but I think you bring up a good topic that was incompletely explored earlier.
So to save you the trouble of searching back, and perhaps as an excuse by me to speak about something I think we both are interested in here is an earlier post.
Ig put out a 'challenge' to demonstrate the qualities of a self that may otherwise have to be taken a-priori truths. He wanted (I think) non-physicality, autonomous-ness, and permanence. I can't grant him permanence, but did grant continuous-ness.

MattDavis wrote:

igm wrote:
Can you put together something which shows that the existence of a 'truly existent self' is untenable based on our agreed list of characteristics that a truly existent self would need to be such a thing?

I can try.....

Model of Self that Meets the Discussed Criteria
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I make the ASSUMPTION that consciousness requires self-reference. Because my personal experience is that I am aware of myself as existing.
I claim the noble tradition of Kant in this regard. Wink

Consciousness is a manifestation of certain types of interactions within a complex but structured system. Certain complex structured system (like brains) exhibit behaviors that can be labeled as being conscious behaviors. One of the requirements of such systems is an ability to "represent the system within the system". Systems can be conscious, but they do do not have consciousness as in the sense that, consciousness exists somewhere (some physical place).
Consciousness should be treated semantically as we would treat other classifications of behaviors in systems. If a system exhibits cyclical behavior, you will not get a meaningful response by asking "where is the cyclicalness in the system?" The cyclical is a characteristic of the behavior of a system.
Because consciousness is simply the characteristic of something, it follows that it has no defined physical location. To suggest that it does have a physical location would be like asking where is the roundness in a circle.

Non-physicality of Self:
Self (with a capital S) is the label that occurs in conscious behaviors of systems and is used to point references back to the system.
It is the representation of the system, by the system.
It is the tool needed for 'self-reference.'
Self (capital S) is also not properly treated as a 'thing' (having physical location). It is a label that exists only as encoded in the consciousness behavior of the system.
From this view all concepts should not be treated as 'physical things' because concepts are labels encoded within a behavior.

Autonomous-ness of Self:
Autonomous simply means self-directed.
The behaviors of a system originate from within that system.
The cylical behavior of a solar system originates from within the solar system.
Systems that exhibit conscious behavior have a 'self' label and the representation that creates is Self (capital S) within the system, so it should interpret its own system behaviors as autonomous (that is, as Self directed behavior).

Continuous-ness of Self:
The label encoded within the conscious behaviors of a system should remain relatively unchanged, or if it does change, it must change in small enough increments so as that it can still be recognized for what it refers to by the system. (Since this was presupposed as a criteria of conscious behavior.)
Regardless of whether a label does or does not change, since conscious behavior ALWAYS requires self-reference the label must always be able to be correctly interpreted within the system. For as long as the system is exhibiting conscious behaviors, there must persist a representation within the system that is Self (capital S).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think that this basically includes the discussed features, while staying inside the material world
and outside of metaphysics.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 10:53 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Who said anything about religion? I said there have been millions who believed in things that turned out to be fallacy. Like the sun goes around the earth, the earth was flat, etc. I didn't say that group was religious. Although some religions promoted those beliefs. The are many today who believe that the earth is 5000 years old, in the face of critical thinking. Belief alone does not prove anything, no matter how many believe it. I go with my previous statement. Do not believe anything written or said unless it agrees with your own common sense and reason. People may be critical thinkers in some fields, but not in other questions.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 10:57 pm
@Looking4Truth,
How can your memories die but your experiences go on?
IRFRANK

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 10:59 pm
@Looking4Truth,
Just be, and wait and see. I agree. Appreciate the now, it's all we have. And I'm spending it here .😊
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 11:02 pm
@Thomas,
Holes in Swiss cheese are just gas. Right? I understand what you are saying, but there is a physical reason for them.
Looking4Truth

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 11:09 pm
@MattDavis,
I don't think the so called "Christian's" even know the meaning of what they claim to be.

What do I make of Christ's claim that the Kingdom of Heaven is upon us? I take him at his word. The Kingdom of Heaven is upon us and cannot be stopped.

All religions have been deceived.

Although darkness (lies/confusion/evil) continues to grow, light (truth) will be seen. Once eyes are opened to truth, answers fill the questions, understanding fills the confusion, simplicity fills the complexity, the "self" will awaken and walk into light.
The lost will be found. All that is hidden will be revieled. Nothing stops truth. Distraction (lies/confusion/evil) may slow it down, but nothing will stop the inevitable truth from being seen. The Kingdom of Heaven is upon us.
0 Replies

Looking4Truth

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 11:15 pm
@IRFRANK,
Your memories are stored in your brain, which dies. Experiences are stored in a story which will be explored, created to exist. History.
Yeah I know, you think I'm crazy Wink .
Lola

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 12:44 am
@Thomas,
Quote:
I have not read every word of the previous 16 pages of this discussion. But I have read most of them. Very interesting discussion so far. This is the way I understand it; offered at this late stage of the game.

The human self exists in the human brain. The brain is an organ in the human body. It functions in a complicated way but let's just say for now that it is powered by chemical reactions. We experience this activity as thoughts and feelings about ourselves and others.

It is not physically possible, if a brain is alive, to have no thoughts or feelings. Selflessness is a concept, a feeling, a belief, but it is functionally not possible. If a self is feeling selfless, that self exists. If a person is feeling anything, the self exists. A state of non-self = dead, or at least brain dead.

I'm not a religious person. I've never (so far) found a religion I could believe. But I can understand, I think another person's desire to believe.

Here's what I said about it, Thomas on page 16.