Where is the self? How can dualism stand if it's just a fiction?

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 11:04 am
@igm,
igm wrote:

igm wrote:

The self or soul that a person believes they have, couldn't have come from the sperm or the ovum or the union of the two...so that is why there is no actual 'self' or 'soul' because the 'I' that is believed in, started out as someone else's sperm and ovum. The person (who apparently matures from this union of sperm and ovum) then comes to erroneously believe that they 'own' the body and mind and can will it to commit selfish acts in the name of this fictional self, soul, 'I' etc.

When this fictitious self or soul is believed in, then selfishness develops and in extreme cases, all the negative actions of this world are caused by believing this fiction, believing there really is an actual, 'I', 'me', 'self', 'soul'.

The tricky part is letting go of this dangerous belief, whilst still interacting and communicating with others for their benefit... to others, those who do, are indistinguishable from everyone else... but they are of course by definition unselfish.

The REALLY TRICKY PART, igm, is finally to grips with the fact that all the stuff you are asserting as established truth...

...is nothing but wild, blind guessing on your part.
0 Replies

void123

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 09:06 am
@igm,
this is misunderstanding of buddhism.
non self refers to absence of separate self
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 02:36 pm
@igm,
igm wrote:

The Buddha said that there is no self, ego, Atman, soul (all are synonymous for the purposes of this discussion).

The problem here is this teaching was not meant for all beings. It was meant for those who are heavily attached to a permanent self. Those who are strongly attached to their life. It is an attempt to weaken their attachment.

The reality is there is a self but it is NOT permanent and it is in a constant state of change. Since it constantly changes and is not permanent why do people hold to the idea that it remains constant and persistent?

The reality is if you are still under the effects of the bull mind then you are attached to the self. The cure is to reach samadhi and experience the non-existent nature that there is no self nor other and there is another level where even this concept of no self or other has completely vanished. Not until you experience this state can you fully realize what the non-existent of self means that the Buddha was referring.

It is just an attempt to awaken the attached mind to ultimate reality.
0 Replies