Martha Stewart is NOT guilty

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 02:27 pm
Ladies and gentlemen of the jury. Martha Stewart is not guilty. You have heard the evidence, there is no need to rehash. But let us assume that she is guilty. What is the very worst that she has done?

Prosecutor James Comey said that this case is about lying to investigators and to investors. Prosecutor James Comey is absolutely right. If this government protected investors, Martha Stewart would be free to protect their interests.

Martha Stewart was not truthful to investigators because they falsely claimed that she was guilty of securities fraud. Having acted like it was a crime to receive a casual stock tip, Martha Stewart lied because pompous Prosecutors who feed off the generosity of the Federal Government, were threatening to destroy her life. Ms. Stewart is not a fool. A stockbroker in her earlier life, Martha Stewart clearly understood the rules against insider trading, so when her stockbroker called with a "great tip" she knew that it was possible to allege that she was committing securities fraud by engaging in illegal insider trading and she naturally lied to avoid the perception, and that is not a conspiracy.

If your broker at Merrill Lynch called you and told you that insiders in a stock you owned were trying to sell their shares, what would you do? Would you be guilty of committing securities fraud if you sold your shares? That is what the government would like to suggest and under these circumstances, I would advise you to do whatever it takes, to protect yourself from the conspiratorial rants that improperly threaten your life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Now I know that you people have absolutely no idea who Martha Stewart is. You have absolutely no idea what it takes to be married to a billion dollar empire full of jobs and taxable income. You have no idea that when Martha Stewart rejects the conspiratorial rants of the Federal Government, her misdemeanor is about as significant as lying about sex. That is what Martha Stewart essentially did, and if any of you think that you would advise your children to plead guilty to committing securities fraud when they are innocent, then Martha Stewart's lies are criminally material. We live in a world where perception is called reality, and who can blame Martha Stewart for lying about the perception, to avoid the opportunity to promote a false reality? Make no mistake about it, that is exactly what Martha Stewart did, and everybody knows it.

Martha Stewart is not being charged with insider trading because she is not guilty. She is being charged with "obstruction of justice" and "conspiracy" because she refused to corroborate the fantasies of the Federal Government. As the head of Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia Martha Stewart does not even have time for her own family, let alone the bizarre, preposterous suggestion that she engaged a conspiracy to pocket a nickel.

Clearly, when law enforcement falsely claimed that Martha Stewart was guilty of fraudulent, insider training, Martha Stewart was induced to lie, and that is called entrapment. That is illegal, and if Martha Stewart is guilty for refusing to cooperate with corrupt Prosecutors, then we need to re-write the law. In the meantime, Martha Stewart has not engaged in any behavior that can even remotely be called a criminal offense.

The Wall Street Journal is the sternest of critics when it comes to the world of business, and to quote directly:

With regard to the now-dismissed securities fraud charge, it's worth noting that ever since the feds intervened to "protect" Miss Stewart's shareholders, their stock has been languishing. On the news Friday that the albatross had been lifted, these holders watched their stock rise nearly 11%, closing at a level it hadn't seen since June 2002. Which begs the question: Who hurt the shareholders of Martha Stewart Living more: Martha, or the prosecuting U.S. Attorney? The market's already given its answer.

If the Wall street Journal suggests that the prosecuting attorney is in fact the actual villain, what makes you think that Martha Stewart is guilty of any criminal conduct? If you want to restore faith in Wall Street, what makes you think that the Wall Street Journal does not?

Make no mistake about it, ladies and gentlemen, Martha Stewart is not guilty, and that is not a matter of my opinion. It is a matter of the fact that you do not have the capacity to prove otherwise.

A woman who employs thousands and generates taxable profits should be applauded, not condemned.

Unlike all the crooks who have milked small investors of billions of dollars and still enjoy their freedom, Martha Stewart did not cook the books of her company, she did not treat Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia as her personal piggy bank, she did not run her company into the ground, she did not lie to shareholders, employees, analysts and pension fund managers, and she does not deserve to be bullied by overreaching prosecutors. After all, apples are not oranges, and if prosecutors do not recognize the difference between ordinary business dealings and criminal behavior, what makes them think they deserve anybody's respect?

http://skakel.tripod.com/martha.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,214 • Replies: 15
No top replies

suzy

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 02:33 pm
I think she's guilty, but I also think she's taking the fall for a lot of rich powerful men who are guilty of more. To me, her conviction is outrageous, particularly if she gets time while ken lay lives it up.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 02:57 pm
Guilty is as guilty does. Pure greed. Make sure the punishment fits the crime and move on.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 03:36 pm
She lied to the feds for $51,000...she deserves what she gets.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 04:10 pm
How refreshing: I agree with cjhsa and McG. I've read defenses for Martha along the lines of: She's done all these wonderful things, Ken Lay is worse, she didn't steal.

She broke the rules and lied. And all for small change. I have no sympathy for her.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 06:07 pm
I don't have sympathy for her either, believe me.
She's a greedy pig.
But it's not justice until all the thieves pay.
Including the young stud (chump) who helped her out and turned on her. He's just as slimy.
And the ones who stole from thousands of people should pay MORE, not less. NOT nothing.
0 Replies

Timothy Leary

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2004 07:55 am
Martha's actions of insider trading may be wrong, but she hurt no one in her company. How many people did Enron send to financial ruin? If the Enron guys could get tried as quickly as she did and be bashed in the news every day as she did, been found guilty and be up for the same jail time, then the punishment might fit the crime.

Martha is a sacrificial lamb because she's not associated with the Bush administration, is a Democrat and her on air persona of perfection is easy meat for the feeding frenzy.

Is what she did right? No. But if we are going to be fair, the Enron guys should have been tried and sitting in jail for a long time before Martha ever went on trial.

Double standard for Bush's friends and associates.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2004 11:41 am
Wow, back from the dead....
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2004 11:44 am
"Let he, who is without sin, cast the first stone".

Who has always told the truth and nothing but the truth on their Federal Income Tax return?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2004 03:38 pm
Point well taken, Miller. Is there a double standard for celebrities who do stupid things? You bet there is. Martha should have known that...
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2004 03:52 pm
I have never lied on my taxes. Not even once.

But what martha did isn't the same as cheating on your taxes. She was interogated by the feds and was caught lying to them. Just like Clinton did when he claimed to have NOT had sexual relations with that woman! He got dis-barred and almost impeached. Never lie about what can be proven.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2004 04:49 pm
I've never lied on mine either, but I've made mistakes. So far it has pretty much evened out +/-.
0 Replies

Wildflower63

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 03:44 am
Martha Stewart is guilty. I could really get on my soap box over this issue. If people of wealth and power control the stock market with knowledge the rest of us are not given, then what do you have to say about your 401k?

I took a serious hit in the market. So did millions of people. Martha didn't. She had a buddy that knew what was up, which the rest of us didn't. If we had the same knowledge that the wealthy do, we would be able to dump stock at the right time as well. We don't and that is fact.

I strongly feel this is a criminal act which should be punished. Otherwise the "Rich and Famous" will dictate stock prices and gain while the rest of us will lose out of our own retirement.

This is criminal and unfair to the average stockholder, working people!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 05:30 am
Wildflower-I can understand your anger, but Martha Stewart was NOT convicted of insider trading. She was convicted of lying about it.

I have a fair to middlin' knowledge of the stock market, and I watch many stocks on the internet. One of the things that I have observed, over and over again is this: All of a sudden, there is a huge spike in volume on a stock. The price subsequently drops. Then a couple of hours later, a negative news item comes out about the company whose stock has dropped. Now how do you suppose that the folks who sold before the drop knew about it? Crystal ball?

I have some thoughts about this. Before the 1990's, the stock market was populated predominantly by the "big boys", who wheeled and dealed. In the nineties, in the boom market, all us little guys got in. A five year old could make money in those times. The middle class poured a lot of money into the market, but it was still the big ticket buyers who got the information, learned about the new IPOs, etc.

Now the market is no longer a "treasure chest". People need to know what they are doing, unless they want to get burned, badly. IMO, unless you have money that you really don't need, stay out of the market, and invest your money in less volatile places!
0 Replies

Wildflower63

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 03:19 pm
This is my basic problem with the market rise and fall, too many of us honest working investors lost our butts. I have a problem with the many companies that used fraudulent accounting practice, which is illegal, in order to artificially inflate stock price. I have a problem with short term gain by a company CEO who ordered this sort of thing. Enron was not, by far, the only company who did this.

There was absolutely no booming economy at all when stock prices went through the roof. The stocks were overvalued, as many experts said and advised people not to enter the market at that time. This was and still is a huge problem.

Enron is famous, but so many others are not for the exact same fraud that was presented to honest people looking for a form of retirement. If you have the right friends, you know when to get out. The vast majority of stock is owned by working people, not the wealthy.

Martha had a friendship that got her out before she lost a dime. It is illegal and called insider knowledge that the rest of us are not given, but Martha was and did. I really wish someone had told me that the stock price was fraudulent, by accounting practice, and I could get out too. No, the rest of us lost our retirement money while wealthy people with connections make money.

I don't understand why anyone with a 401k does not clearly see the law in her case. She did break the law. She should be punished with time behind bars, but most of us don't see just how dangerous white collar crime really is. We are more worried about some guy taking our money at an ATM machine. No one can steal as much from society as people like Martha. We just don't think of people like her as harmful to society as they really are because she didn't use a gun to steal.

I worked for HealthSouth. They do make a small paragraph in the news today, but Enron stole the show for the rest of the dishonest thieving CEOs with stock options that unloaded only because they knew the price was artificially inflated by illegal accounting.

I was very tempted to buy the stock at an employee discount. I do have a few people, doctors, lawyers, and Indian Chiefs as honest people that will advise me. One guy I know owns several nursing homes. He advised me not to invest in health care. He told me about the multitude of lawsuits and how hard it really was to make any profit.

A 10% discount is hard to pass up, but I did after talking to this guy who gave me an honest opinion. I am very glad that I did! The bottom did fall out of the box with lawsuits of fraudulent accounting practice. It didn't take long for HealthSouth's stock price to go way down after this. They were forced to clean it up and give it to people straight. It took a few years, but the CEO is fired. There is a huge financial settlement towards the stockholders who brought this to court.

People are interested when they see a stock price fly, but are not necessarily informed as to why, illegal accounting practice, which the CEO demanded. Any business has to contended with their competitors. If one stock price if flying because of illegal accounting, known by a CEO, as in Martha's case, then others feel forced to follow.

It isn't about who is president or politics at all. Clinton was not responsible for an appearance of a booming economy. He was also not responsible for illegal accounting practice, of the time. Government can aid free enterprise, but they have absolutely no control of it. We aren't Commies just yet, but will be if we allow people with clearly illegal acts, such as Martha, the extreme in wealth, which none of us will probably ever be, to control our stock market.

I strongly feel the 401k is the best thing for American people. We are employees. We are also owners with an interest. We demand to be informed correctly. We were not, under law, of the stock market high. Most of us lost a ton of money. I did!!! I feel that people like Martha and her CEO buddy are the reason for this sort of thing, denial of a working persons retirement for their own selfish, and don't forget illegal, gain.

They do belong behind bars for crimes against free enterprise and the masses of working people who are majority investors.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 03:50 pm
Re: Miller

Like McG and cjhsa, I've never lied on my taxes either. How is it that people who cheat on their taxes always pretend like everyone else does, too? Its to ease their conscience, thats how, but that dont make it true.
0 Replies