9

Does an ‘individual’ word have meaning…?

vikorr

1  
Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 01:15 am
@vikorr,
Okay...the shadow on the cave wall :

- is the shadow language, which is but a reflection of the concept that exists in the mind of the human - the object casting the shadow being the concept?

- does the light source have relevance in this pictorial? If so, what does the light source represent?

- the cave wall would represent the background against which the shadow is cast...but one would have to remember that is just one part of what makes the the shadow and it's shape

...the only way to make this accurate, I would contend, is for the mind of both people to have input into the shape of the wall...with both people creating a wall that may (or may not) be similar, but one that will always have differences.

...that wall is something that they are both going to use to communicate and create from (regardless of the other analogies within - eg. the body that casts the shadow...in this case, it would be two bodies, casting shadows back and forth, in order to communicate)

And all that said - I don't see the particular use of symbolism in this thread, though it may well help others Very Happy
igm

1  
Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 03:37 am
@vikorr,
Thanks again! Also, point taken.

RandyS

1  
Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2017 01:31 pm
@igm,
I'm only answering your basic question:

The answer is yes. A word (spoken, written, or heard) is a symbol for a concept, but it's alright in everyday language to equate them. A conept has only one function, to identify something, an entity, an attribute, a behavior, a relationship, concrete or abstract. A concept's meaning is whatever it identifies.

The word apple is a symbol for the concept apple. If someone asks a child what they would like, they might say, "I would like one of those," while pointing at an apple, or they might say, "I would like an apple," which performs the same function as pointing at one--it identifies an apple. What the word (or concept it represents) means is an actual apple with all it attibutes and relationships even if few or none of them is known. The word apple has exactly the same meaning for a botanist or a child.

Here is a brief explanation: Knowledge

Fil Albuquerque

1  
Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2017 11:28 am
@igm,
Most probably would respond none but I rather say it has a large potential of possible meanings and contexts. I really am not fond of the idea that X relates with nothingness. Rather X is always a finite colection in a set of potential interactions beyond which X stops making sense. The extension of what X is is finite as the extension of how X can be perceived and constrained is equally large but finite. Change the context of the cultural language technology to much and X dilutes not in nothingness but back to a transcendental state where its description no longer makes contextual sense. This, unlike Fresco and others believe is not the negation of foundations but rather realizing that the extension of anything is not infinite. As anything else it has boundaries.