Smallpox Vaccine/Before You Roll Up Your Sleeve.............

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 12:39 am
The smallpox vaccine will soon be available to any American citizen who wants it. IMO it is important to understand the dangers of the vaccine before deciding whether it is a wise decision to become vaccinated. Remember, that the vaccine is from thirty year old technology, and carries with it a grave risk of side effects:

Click on Link to Article About Smallpox

The article cites a government website, www.smallpox.gov where there is a lot of information. Please read, before you make your decision!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,228 • Replies: 21
No top replies

chatoyant

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 02:18 am
Thanks Phoenix, good info there. I know I won't be getting the vaccination. I wonder how many health care workers will go ahead and get it. That would be something I'd have to think deeply about even if I was in the health care field.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 03:27 am
Well, as troubling as side effects maybe, at least there is an opportunity to get a vaccination if it is needed. If other countries are attacked, such as little old Netherlands right here, we don't have any vaccins ready. It could be an unrolling disaster movie if we are attacked this way.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 10:31 am
Phoenix, Good link. Thank you. Most people do not understand the side affects and dangers of the small pox immunization, and the media and government must do a better job of education. The idea that some people may die from this vacine must become general knowledge, before the government insititutes any wholesale program of immunizing the total populace, health care workers, the military, and government employees. c.i.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 10:40 am
The question is, would you still say no to the vaccine if you were infected with smallpox?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 11:04 am
Piffka, The question is, why immunize for smallpox if we are not infected? Smallpox vacination works even after exposure. c.i.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 11:30 am
Did you think I was jumping the gun?

The apparent looming threat of smallpox is the first reason... the logistics of a lot of people being immunized is another, especially if there were wide-spread distribution somehow. You are supposed to be immunized (if you choose to be) within the earliest possible time after exposure. Up to four days, I thought I read, was the limit. Of course some folks won't want the scarring from the pox at all.

I imagine there are some people who may question how much vaccine there really is and definitely want to be first in line. They may feel confident if they had the vaccination before that it will not harm them again.

Anyway, I thought that was the plan? Military personnel and the president get the immunizations... ordered to, etc. President's family taking a wait-and-see position as the rest of us are supposed to do. In this state they're saying that medical staff who agree to immunizations will begin those soon, however they can say no. If any of us feel the need for a vaccine, we can contact our medical professionals.

I'm wondering, if we were exposed, would we still have the right to make a decision?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 12:12 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
The idea that some people may die from this vacine must become general knowledge, before the government insititutes any wholesale program of immunizing the total populace, health care workers, the military, and government employees. c.i.

Is it not the case in the U.S., that you have to literally sign-off in regard to possible side effects, when getting any kind of treatment/shot/therapy?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 12:33 pm
ehBeth, When our son was in the military, he had no choice in getting shots to immunize against anthrax. President Bush is now talking about immunizing all military and health care workers. I'm not sure where he's going with this, but the military has no choice when the top brass says everybody gets immunized. c.i.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 12:38 pm
I understand that some people will be 'required' to have these shots, but for others - won't they need to sign off on the dangers of the shot? It's standard practice here - you've got to sign off on the potential side effects of CT scan-dye etc.

There was an interesting case here recently with a paramedic who refused to have a flu shot when it was mandated by the government season before last. He was laid off without pay. He sued the municipality and won the case. He's back, was paid the lost income, costs and a bit extra. They're no longer able to mandate treatment here as a result.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 12:44 pm
ehBeth- The problem is that the vaccine has not been developed from the latest technology, like other types of vaccines. This is OLD STUFF, and nobody really knows what the level of side effects will be.

Sure, if there is a biological attack somewhere that is too close for comfort, believe me, I will be the first on line to get the vaccine. In the meantime, IMO the best approach is to take a "wait and see" attitude"!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 12:51 pm
If the side effects are unknown, and could include death, that would need to be in the rider you sign here. I'm surprised that doesn't appear to be the case in the U.S., which is more litigious (generally speaking) than Canada.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 12:57 pm
ehBeth- I would assume that there IS a waiver. You have to sign one for just about every medical procedure that you undergo in the States!

I am looking at this whole thing as a cost/benefit issue. Right now, a smallpox attack is speculation. I would not take the risk of death or serious side effects for something that probably won't happen. If the danger becomes more imminent, then I will have to again weigh the risks against the benefits, based on new knowledge.
0 Replies

chatoyant

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 01:16 pm
Phoenix, I agree. When I said I won't be getting the vaccination, I meant anytime in the near future. If the risk of contracting smallpox became a serious threat to me, I would certainly rethink that decision.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 01:41 pm
And we can make our decision after we have been provided with the pros and cons of taking the vaccine. Since infection is contagious, most of us will probably opt for the shot - after we have smallpox in our environment. c.i.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 11:19 pm
Here's the latest NYT news on the smallpox vaccination.

"Smallpox Vaccine Transmission Raises Liability IssueIf a smallpox vaccine recipient inadvertently transmitted the virus in the vaccine to other people and they fell ill, who would pay for the sick people's medical care?"

I think this is an important issue that needs to be resolved in addition to all the other issues. It seems to me that the best coarse of action is to wait and see before deciding to get the smallpox vaccination. c.i.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2002 08:16 pm
I carry the scar of the small pox vaccine from early childhood. It was a have to have in order to be admitted to school, a regular routine for docs to have, etc. I know many people who carry the scar. I was glad to hear that children in the later 70's werent under the same guidelines, werent scarred, no affects etc. because it wasnt as much of a great issue. Interesting how it is again. More interesting however is why. I wont go there but, it is speculative.
Vaccinations themselves well, there are those I think we should have, make sure children have but, with how we have become I believe we are certainly over vaccinating, over medicating, etc.
'Fear of' is certainly different than actuality. It isnt happening, it hasnt come forth and there certainly isnt a certainty that it will happen. I say wait until you have to. But, thats just my humble opinion.
0 Replies

sledoglady

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 01:29 pm
Smallpox vaccine/Bedfore you roll up your sleeve.......
cicerone imposter wrote:
ehBeth, When our son was in the military, he had no choice in getting shots to immunize against anthrax. President Bush is now talking about immunizing all military and health care workers. I'm not sure where he's going with this, but the military has no choice when the top brass says everybody gets immunized. c.i.

What scares me is my husband is out on an aircraft carrier. Seems like whenever he is underway he is always getting some type of crud (cold, flus, etc)

Now with 5000 folks on board where some may not have your level of personal hygiene and cleanliness and with the warnings for touching the vaccination site and it spreading to others.

How many cough or sneeze, scratch their backsides or pick their noses without washing hands and then handle the up and down ladders on a ship all day long?

There are some serious warning for the possible spread to other parts of your body and to others from touching the vaccination site.

Also my hubby and I are in the age group where we were vaccinated as kids, has anyone even noticed the risk Stats are for first time vaccinations not multiple? So if you hadn't a reaction before does this make it less likely or more likely since you are putting more stuff in your body?

By the way they are already vaccinating military personel, it has already started. For anyone who is in the age group where they had this I believe you can ask for a teiter (spell) test to see what level of immunity you might still have before taking another vaccine.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 01:45 pm
0 Replies

sledoglady

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 01:54 pm
Smallpox vaccine/before you roll up your sleeves.....
steissd wrote:
I think that the dangers of the smallpox vaccination are exaggerated. Of course, any vaccinations may have side effects, and a small percentage of people may have vital counter indications to usage of vaccines, but majority of population can undergo these without developing any serious health problems (though, with some brief inconveniences, like temporary fever and severe itching).

Thank you for the info on repeat vaccinations, it was a concern of mine and I was looking everywhere for the stats but only found first time stats

As for the exaggeration I found the below info from a military type web site, i'll try to post the web site addy but it is in my favorites and not sure how I found it.

Care of the Vaccination Site: Don’t touch the smallpox vaccination site. You may spread virus somewhere else, either on your body or somebody else’s.

Don’t touch a smallpox vaccination site. This is the best way to avoid spreading the virus. Frequent hand washing also helps prevent spreading virus in the event you touch the vaccination site by accident. An information sheet with detailed instructions about how to take care of the vaccination site will be provided to vaccine recipients.

If 1,000,000 people get smallpox vaccine, up to about 600 cases of auto-inoculation (also called accidental infection) can result when people touch their vaccination site and then transfer virus to their eyes, genitals, or other itchy places on their body.

Vaccinia virus can also be spread to others by touch. In the 1960s, the risk of spreading vaccinia virus to others (usually a household member) was about 30 per 1,000,000 vaccinations overall. Most cases of vaccinia caused by contact do not lead to serious illness. However, about 30% of such cases result in a severe skin infection in individuals who have eczema or other chronic skin problems.

Until the vaccination scab falls off, avoid close or household contact with people who are exempt from getting smallpox vaccine themselves. Do not share sleeping space (eg. bed, bunk, cot) with these people. Do not share clothes, towels, linen, or toiletries either. Occupational settings (eg. vehicles, tanks, aircraft) are not affected, if the vaccine from site is simply covered with a Band Aid and a sleeve.

Today, there are many people in the community living with problems to their immune systems. Follow instructions about caring for your vaccination site to minimize the chance of spreading vaccinia virus to someone else.

The risk of severe complications after smallpox vaccination for people infected with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) is not known. At present, there is no evidence that smallpox vaccination accelerates the progression of HIV-related disease. Nevertheless, until additional information becomes available, it is prudent that people who have HIV infection not be vaccinated, except in an emergency.
0 Replies