Lola at the Coffee House

spendius

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2013 04:22 pm
@firefly,
I hate carrot cake. It's perverted.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2013 04:31 pm
I am left with loads of Halloween candy. Not a single kid rang my doorbell on Halloween.

This has been going on for years. For at least the last decade, I don't think more than a handful of trick or treaters has ever shown up, and most years it's been only two or three, or none. There are very few little children on my block any more, there are 3 in the house next door and that's about it, so that's a factor. Other than the house with the children, people on this block no longer decorate the outside of their homes for Halloween any more. At one time, more homes were decorated, and if you stood outside on Halloween, you could see many groups of costumed children marching around this block and the next one for several hours. And more teens were out as well. No more. Every time I went out to take a look, the streets I could see were quite deserted.

But, since I never can be sure whether things will be different this year, I always load up on candy, but I only get what I like, since the odds are I'll be left with it. So, for the next few months, I'll be snacking on Milky Ways, Kit Kats, 3 Musketeers, etc. It's the only time of year I even buy that kind of candy and it generally lasts for months.

Did any of you have many trick or treaters ring your bell this year?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2013 08:02 pm
http://www.goodwilltraining.co.uk/speed_bump_coffee.gif
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2013 08:08 pm
@firefly,
ok, to both of those..

0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2013 08:09 pm
Is this joint still open for business? Looked kind'a deserted so I've been passing it by. How'zit, everyone? ('How'zit is a Hawaiian expression, much like 'what's up' on the US mainland. Hear it all the time.)
ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2013 08:13 pm
@firefly,
I'm not actually a person who doesn't likes cakes - I'm just picky.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2013 08:17 pm
I no longer pay attention to Halloween. Because of where we live, plus the size of my dog, nobody trick or treats here. I am bored with the movies they always show. I admit I probably eat more candy than other times of the year. But that's it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2013 08:28 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I happen to near hate halloween. I had to get up myself with friends on beggars night to walk around the block, to disturb some older woman in the quiet house. This was on my birthday, and it was cold out and I carried a paper bag and wore an itchie mask.

Years later
It was quiet here.

spendius

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2013 06:29 am
@ossobuco,
Halloween is a non-event in the UK. I think the TV people have been told to can it.
firefly

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2013 10:22 am
@spendius,
It's an event for the candy manufacturers.

The store shelves in my CVS are already filled with bags of Christmas candy. Rolling Eyes
vonny

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 10:38 am
@spendius,
Like Halloween, Guy Fawkes - Bonfire Night - seems to have been a non-event in the UK this year - the shops seem to have skipped it and gone straight to Christmas. Can't move in shops for decorations, trees, and general 'tat' that they're trying to palm off as gifts!

Wonder if Wassau has anything special planned for the festive season? Is there an A2K choir ready to start singing carols? I can't wait to see what foodstuffs he has lined up. Mulled wine anybody?
spendius

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 12:00 pm
@vonny,
But gift ceremonies, vonny, are an essential aspect of social intercourse. And often of sexual intercourse as well. Even the most "tatty" gift is a force for social integration if not, unfortunately, for sexual integration.

And the timing of the Cash Till Jamboree to coincide with the most depressing time of the year is something of a masterstroke don't you think? In the southern hemisphere they really ought to declare the birth of Our Lord to have occurred on June 25th to avoid being accused of reflex sentimentality nostalgically yearning for the European homeland.

The truth is that we like to give gifts in order to show our companions how dear they are to us and to receive gifts, usually of roughly equal status, in order to feel how dear we must be to them.

That capitalist enterprise caters for such pleasures is no surprise and it is certainly worthy of high praise for the ingenuity it shows to meet our needs in this respect at prices even poor people can afford.

Will you define "tat" for us?

vonny

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 01:52 pm
@spendius,
The Cambridge online dictionary defines 'tat' thus -

Quote:
informal anything that looks cheap, is of low quality, or in bad condition: Like most souvenir shops, it sells a lot of old tat.

I guess that is my definition too.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 02:04 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

It's an event for the candy manufacturers.

You write that like it's a bad thing. http://i43.tinypic.com/1z6f6nn.gif
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 02:04 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
But gift ceremonies, vonny, are an essential aspect of social intercourse...The truth is that we like to give gifts in order to show our companions how dear they are to us and to receive gifts, usually of roughly equal status, in order to feel how dear we must be to them.

I agree, spendi.

How about we have our own Christmas gift exchange in this thread? I think it would be fun to give each other gifts this year.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 02:50 pm
@firefly,
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc397/uconnhuskies99/Christmas%20in%20China/DSCN0392.jpg

Look at the window at these adorable little loves, all wrapped up for Christmas Smile

Here you go Firefly, for you Smile
http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz276/team2morrow/Christmas/Xmas-Package1.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll207/clanton_1982/687.jpg
firefly

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 03:10 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
Oh, I love the handbag, FS! It's me! Smile You can shop for me anytime.

But, what I meant was we should exchange gifts at Christmas, not right now. You've jumped the gun, probably because you're such a generous and giving person.(of course, if you insist I keep the bag, I will Smile )
FOUND SOUL

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 03:13 pm
@firefly,
MAYBE I'm like a kid in a candy shop, Christmas isn't that far away Wink Shirt, I haven't even started Christmas shopping yet, not one thing.. EXCEPT for the handbag to you, off course you can keep it Smile
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 03:31 pm
@firefly,
For you, ff, a little friend for Toby -

http://gavgavka.com/images/manager/2012/0001.jpg

for you, Foundy, a chunky pearl necklace

http://indulgy.net/ll/sm/7H/46724914853522399LSieE9ABc.jpg
vonny

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 03:34 pm
@vonny,
They were early Christmas gifts - the Coffee House has been so quiet lately, it seemed a good idea to brighten things up! How about some decorations?