Lola at the Coffee House

McTag

Reply Sun 14 Apr, 2013 04:29 am
@Lola,

Quote:
still, I don't want much that I don't already have

Well I do. Money, lots and lots of money.

Can anyone spare some loose change for a cup of Joe?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 14 Apr, 2013 04:35 am
Strong coffee, cream and sugar, and two eggs, poached, on wheat toast. Thankayouverramuch.
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Sun 14 Apr, 2013 05:16 am
@spendius,
Quote:
cannot allow humour to be standardised

Ah, it was humour! I hadn't realised!!! Disguising sexist comments like that - not my way, but ... okay, enjoy .........

Anyway, back to Ms Collins - shawl and slippers - to borrow something from Found Soul, Pffffffffffffffffft When I'm 78 I'd far rather be kicking up my heels in a nightclub than sitting knitting.

And men of 78 - more Cary Grant please, an elegant man with impeccable manners, at least on screen. I can't imagine him calling people names - even by inference!
Quote:
a big, fat trout nibbling at his bait

Mmmmm ... of course, dear Spendius.
vonny

Reply Sun 14 Apr, 2013 05:17 am
bump
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 14 Apr, 2013 05:29 am
@Lola,
On first, and last, perusal I would say Ms Beard has no idea. She, being hyper-active herself, has no understanding of Lady Bertram who might just as easily have arrived in her character from philosophical calculation (" there is no sense in tryieeeeeng").

The key to MP, is the name chosen for the heroine.

How anybody can make a movie of that book with any integrity defeats me. It's just an attempt to cash in its legendary status.

Ms Beard does quote a phrase I quoted earlier--"no indolent step" --but seems unaware of its real significance.

Quote:
Sexual intercourse then becomes a tool for power.

I see MP as Jane Austen's confession.

$17 trillion deficit being the result.

Dr Johnson's "famous aphorism" about matrimony and celibacy can be argued with too.

The book ends with Chap 47. Chap 48 is merely the usual method of bringing the motions to a conclusion to satisfy those who need a neat ending.

" Fanny's friendship was all that he had to cling to."

Her fear that Crawford could never be got into such an abject state powers the action. The irony is that men who are attractive to women are not easy to control. A dilemma. Then and now.
spendius

Reply Sun 14 Apr, 2013 05:44 am
@spendius,
Sense and Sensibility.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 14 Apr, 2013 05:46 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
And he's not the only septuagenerian to have had that masculine charisma well into old age.

Come off it Andrei. Name me a skint one.
spendius

Reply Sun 14 Apr, 2013 05:53 am
@spendius,
I remember Cary Grant in some movie or other being invited by Ingrid Bergman to come to her room for a nightcap and he graciously declined by saying that he had some papers to go over.

I thought that was pretty droll.
spendius

Reply Sun 14 Apr, 2013 06:05 am
@spendius,
Mr Grant was Archie Leech, a Jack-the-lad from Bristol. A superb performer on the silver screen. Married five times. His marriage to Barbara Hutton was styled "Cash and carry". He denied having married her for money all his life and I have heard that quite a few actually believed him.

This is interesting--

Quote:
On December 25, 1949, Grant married Betsy Drake. He appeared with her in two films. This would prove to be his longest marriage, ending on August 14, 1962. Drake introduced Grant to LSD, and in the early 1960s he related how treatment with the hallucinogenic drug—legal at the time—at a prestigious California clinic had finally brought him inner peace after yoga, hypnotism and mysticism had proved ineffective.
spendius

Reply Sun 14 Apr, 2013 06:17 am
@vonny,
But, dear vonny, I took the knitting in the rocking chair in shawl and slippers as a metaphor for idle and graceful retirement from the fray. I didn't take it literally. There are many other ways of spending an idle and graceful retirement and most of them are, imo, superior to kicking up heels in a nightclub. For a lady of 78 I mean who has a reasonable fortune at her disposal.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 14 Apr, 2013 06:18 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Mr Grant was Archie Leech,

No he wasn't. Not that spelling at any rate.
spendius

Reply Sun 14 Apr, 2013 06:28 am
@izzythepush,
Aren't you the eagle-eyed proof reader izzy?

What difference does it make to the points I was making, if it might be allowed that I was, if his name was Bert Bloggs? Geezers is geezers despite the spin.

"Even the President of the United States must sometimes have to stand naked."

Whenever Dylan sings that line there is always a great cheer roused.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 14 Apr, 2013 06:33 am
@spendius,
You dummy, Andrei himself is a fetching looking older man.
I've met JLNobody while passing through the airport where he lives - handsome still with cool yet warm demeanor.

On top of the rest of it, you show signs of benighted ageism.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 14 Apr, 2013 06:53 am
By way of bump bump -

I looked up a biscuit recipe inadvertently in the Washington Post last evening. Inadvertently because that's what showed up when I searched for "olive oil biscuits". Excellent recipe in its precision, the original source being Southern Biscuits by Nathalie Dupree and Cynthia Graubart, it was also tested by the WaPo people.

Sooooo - another source link to put in my food bookmarks.
farmerman

Reply Sun 14 Apr, 2013 07:27 am
@ossobuco,
"olive oil" biscuits dont sound very appetizing to me. Does that slight bitterness of olive oil bust through?

ANYbody recall what movie Cary Grant played a mythical beast?
ossobuco

Reply Sun 14 Apr, 2013 07:32 am
@farmerman,
I don't know yet.
farmerman

Reply Sun 14 Apr, 2013 07:39 am
@ossobuco,
By the bye. Speaking of Cary Grant. One of his best roles was in "North by Northwest" , a Hitchcock movie. I was watching "A Lady Vanishes" early this AM on Turner and saw a Hitchcockian trait wherein he appears as a bit player in his own movies. In "Vanishes" he was getting off the train at the very end of the movie.

Is there a list of the bit parts he served up for all his movies? can someone please find it and post?
farmerman

Reply Sun 14 Apr, 2013 07:47 am
@farmerman,
NEVER MIND. All I hadda do was plop in "Hitchcock Cameos" and I got a list, his chgaracter, the scene, and how far into the movie he appears.
Took all of like 2 minutes (my puter is running slow)

Here, fo you Hitchcok lovers

http://www.filmsite.org/hitchcockcameos2.html

izzythepush

Reply Sun 14 Apr, 2013 07:58 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
ANYbody recall what movie Cary Grant played a mythical beast?

Clash Of The Titans
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 14 Apr, 2013 08:28 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
On top of the rest of it, you show signs of benighted ageism.

It is a state with considerable advantages while it lasts.