Why I, and Others, Constantly Rail Against Religion

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 01:12 pm
Mesquite write:
"How about an example of this in your perspective.
De21:18-21Quote:
Quote:
De21:18-21
18 If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them:
19 Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place;
20 And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.
21 And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.

Other than making an example how do you find any value in these words. Seems to me to be a very strange place to go for inspiration."

Deuteronomy appears early in the Old Testament text but it was one of the latest 'codes' written down. It was written well past the time of King David and past the time of the disapora (exile in Babylon). The Israelites were under serious seige from numerous fronts and their territory was occupied in succession by Babylonians, Assyrians, Persians, Syrians et al. With the people still scattered throughout the middle and near East and with constant exposure to pagan religions, the Jewish faith was in imminent danger of being irreparably diluted or totally absorbed into other cultures. To keep the Law of Yhwh (G-d) uncorrupted, the leaders began to meticulously write down the oral tradition and edited this into documents spelling out requirements and law for the devout Israelite of that time. As there is now, there were degrees of sin (crime) and degrees of penalty for such crimes. The above quoted text was one issue spelling out the crime and the penalty to be enforced.

This seems barbaric and unreasonable to the 21st century mentality but also Judge Bean's law requiring a horse thief to be tried and hanged to death on the spot seems barbaric to 21st century understanding. Both were reasonable within the culture of their times. The text has value in helping us to understand the roots of one of the world's oldest enduring belief systems and cultures but very few would endorse it as law for the Jew or Christian today.

The Jewish faith and the Christian faith as well as American social values have continued to evolve over time. No serious Jewish or Christian scholar would agree that stoning a son for being a hell raiser is the way to go today. But then we don't hang horse thieves anymore either do we? Smile
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 01:47 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
The Jewish faith and the Christian faith as well as American social values have continued to evolve over time. No serious Jewish or Christian scholar would agree that stoning a son for being a hell raiser is the way to go today. But then we don't hang horse thieves anymore either do we? Smile

Judge Bean's law is no longer on the books either. So how do you decide which barbaric acts, rules, or ideas to disregard in your search for inspiration?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 02:01 pm
Mesquite writes:
Quote:
Judge Bean's law is no longer on the books either. So how do you decide which barbaric acts, rules, or ideas to disregard in your search for inspiration?

No it isn't on the books now. And why isn't it? Because our society has evolved and looks at crime and punishment differently now than it did in Judge Bean's day. It is the same with religious beliefs. What seemed correct and just in a culture more than two millenia ago doesn't fit with modern day society or religion.

I started another string here somewhere asking what decides what is right and what is wrong in 2004. For myself, I define wrong as sin and right as virtue. Whatever harms me or others is sin. Everything else is virtue.

(Of course there are still the gray areas such as do you swat the fly which is good for you and your family but really really bad for the fly.)
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 02:06 pm
Sounds ike you switched horses and jumped from Christianity to Buddhism.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 02:31 pm
heh
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 03:22 pm
Derevon,

So in smoking a joint is one using his/her free will for evil? Or does God not care about that?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 03:31 pm
You know, ILZ, i continue to be mystified in how one would construct a "misandristic patriarchy," as well as wondering why misanthropic is no longer good enough. (Referring to your sig line, once again, and well aware that you are not responsible for RC's text . . .)

Oxymorons rule . . .
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 04:04 pm
Mesquite writes:
"Sounds ike you switched horses and jumped from Christianity to Buddhism."

I don't believe I have attached a religious
label to myself in this forum.

Nevertheless, Buddhism and Christianity actually do share
some common virtues. Smile
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 04:06 pm
and vices, but then all religions can be said to have some virtues and some vices, being the works of the human mind. Religion: Nothing so hilarious could possibly be true. Or all bad.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 04:15 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Mesquite writes:
"Sounds ike you switched horses and jumped from Christianity to Buddhism."

I don't believe I have attached a religious
label to myself in this forum.

No, but you did write this.
Quote:
Deveron has the right idea, but I go one step further. The Bible has to be read through the eyes of those who wrote it. If we try to read it with 21st century understanding alone, we're going to misinterpret a whole lot of it. It is only by reading it through the eyes of those who wrote it that we can know the original intent. That requires a great deal of effort, background, and study but it is well worth it. Fascinating stuff for those interested.

Possibly your proper label is pot stirrer. SCoates would be proud.
0 Replies

Derevon

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 04:16 pm
Jer wrote:
Derevon,

So in smoking a joint is one using his/her free will for evil? Or does God not care about that?

I really can't go into particulars like that, I'm not omniscient Wink. I'm not a drug expert or anything, but I believe any substance which is potentially dangerous and/or addictive should best be avoided if possible, since I doubt it's God's will that we ruin our own bodies any more than we have to. That's how I see it at least.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 04:29 pm
All I know is that ILZ no longer looks like Bob Marley. Hot chick avatar...

All religions share the same basic principles, it's the way it's interpereted that is the real problem. Here is a science class example:

Teacher says "Look at this students, in this test tube, I have a sample of true purity."

Student 1: "Huh, looks like beer."

Student 2: "No, it's an angel."

Teacher: "Well, why don't you kids take a look and figure it out for yourselves."

The following conversation ensues:

"Angel!"

"Beer!!"

"Gimme that!"

"Like hell I will, come and get it!"

A brief struggle ensues, and the tube falls to the ground and breaks, mixing the poor professor's concoction with the sad muck on the floor that the school janitor missed while cleaning.

"Well kids, I suppose I deserve this for trying to edumacate you right. Enjoy your stay in hell."

The kids looked upon the mess on the floor and said: "Hey, looks like a slushy, let's eat it!"
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 04:57 pm
Setanta wrote:
You know, ILZ, i continue to be mystified in how one would construct a "misandristic patriarchy," as well as wondering why misanthropic is no longer good enough. (Referring to your sig line, once again, and well aware that you are not responsible for RC's text . . .)

Oxymorons rule . . .

Making sense is so passe. Nonsensical and self-contradictory diatribes are where its at, homie. Trust me - I'm black.

Reality Checker was looking for a 'House on the Hill', and by 'House on the Hll,' I mean 'concubine.'
0 Replies

anton bonnier

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 11:41 pm
Quote...
"It doesn't really matter if one is in a church or not. If one truly desires to know God and to be led him, and do one's best to live a life in accordance (doing good and rejecting evils as sins to God), anyone can experience the reality of this love. It manifests itself in a strong, unconditional love to God and to other people, ususally resulting in strong emotion. When one experiences this love, all evil thoughts are like washed away. It's like being inside the sphere of divine love and perfection. One simply wants well to every person, and wants them to experience the same love."

So what you are saying is... " There is no prof, the reality that can be found, is only in one's mind, and to find out about evil, go read the bible ( that's throwing in a add for religion ) . Sorry, Derevon, you really are no help, when it comes to answering, my appeal for factual information.
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 12:18 am
I would stand up in front of all of you and tell you that I believe in God. Because I do. And you can tell me if you like, that I am pretty stupid for having such "faith" It really wouldn't matter to me because there is nothing any of you could say to change how I feel about God. And my beliefs are my own. Hopefully to be respected......just as I respect yours.

I normally don't even bother reading such debates as this. They normally end up getting pretty nasty.

One thing about believing in God and coming to know His love ....."The closer you come to know Him....the more you become aware of your own shortcomings and corruptions." Not an easy thing for anyone to face.

Seems the closer we get to Easter....the more people like to attack "believers"

To each his own.......it doesn't really matter to me what people think of me. I am the one that lives with myself everyday. I know I am not perfect. And I know I have shortcomings. But so don't we all. If you chose to NOT believe in God.....that is your free will. Just as it is mine ...to believe.

I guess we all KNOW for sure someday Smile

~Brooke (just someone who loves God)
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 12:28 am
Jbb
WHere you been?
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 01:15 am
justa_babbling_brooke wrote:
I would stand up in front of all of you and tell you that I believe in God. Because I do. And you can tell me if you like, that I am pretty stupid for having such "faith" It really wouldn't matter to me because there is nothing any of you could say to change how I feel about God. And my beliefs are my own. Hopefully to be respected......just as I respect yours.

I normally don't even bother reading such debates as this. They normally end up getting pretty nasty.

One thing about believing in God and coming to know His love ....."The closer you come to know Him....the more you become aware of your own shortcomings and corruptions." Not an easy thing for anyone to face.

Seems the closer we get to Easter....the more people like to attack "believers"

To each his own.......it doesn't really matter to me what people think of me. I am the one that lives with myself everyday. I know I am not perfect. And I know I have shortcomings. But so don't we all. If you chose to NOT believe in God.....that is your free will. Just as it is mine ...to believe.

I guess we all KNOW for sure someday Smile

~Brooke (just someone who loves God)

Awesome. Just don't vote. Or reproduce.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 02:21 am
IronLionZion wrote:

Now what kind of thing is that to say? It was uncalled for and rude!

You are young. Hopefully you will grow in spirit and gain wisdom with maturity to realize mean-spiritedness, such as you have exhibited here, will only create negativity within you and around you.

I expect you may respond to this by saying you were joking. Regardless of your "intent", the words signify otherwise.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 02:25 am
caprice wrote:
IronLionZion wrote:

Now what kind of thing is that to say? It was uncalled for and rude!

You are young. Hopefully you will grow in spirit and gain wisdom with maturity to realize mean-spiritedness, such as you have exhibited here, will only create negativity within you and around you.

I expect you may respond to this by saying you were joking. Regardless of your "intent", the words signify otherwise.

Very well. Religious people may reproduce at will. Although, I plan on sneaking up on their children and grandchildren and teaching them science.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 03:47 am
Good, Dys, got to remember that...
0 Replies