Does "the self-concept" here refer to "the self-esteem"?

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2013 06:54 am

Context:

Although several psychological theories predict that members of stigmatized groups should have low global self-esteem, empirical research typically does not support this prediction. It is proposed here that this discrepancy may be explained by considering the ways in which membership in a stigmatized group may protect the self-concept. It is proposed that members of stigmatized groups may (a) attribute negative feedback to prejudice against their group, (b) compare their outcomes with those of the ingroup, rather than with the relatively advantaged outgroup, and (c) selectively devalue those dimensions on which their group fares poorly and value those dimensions on which their group excels. Evidence for each of these processes and their consequences for self-esteem and motivation is reviewed. Factors that moderate the use of these strategies and implications of this analysis for treatment of stigmas are also discussed. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2012 APA, all rights reserved)Jan 31 2013 08:14:27Regular Member811Joined Oct 05 2007 11:10:11High mind turns the grace of the universe as the glory of your life.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 745 • Replies: 4
No top replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2013 10:57 am
@oristarA,
No. I think that self-esteem is a product of one's self-concept.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2013 07:24 pm
It's talking about global self esteem (how a group feels about itself) as opposed to self-concept (feelings of one person within the group)

oristarA

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 12:07 am
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

It's talking about global self esteem (how a group feels about itself) as opposed to self-concept (feelings of one person within the group)

Doesn't global self esteem exactly reflect upon a person's mind?
dlowan

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 12:29 am
@oristarA,
Self concept is broader than self esteem, I think. It is about our entire picture of ourselves whereas self-esteem is about whether we think well of ourselves or not.

Therefore self concept will have major importance in self esteem and vice versa but I do not think they are completely interchangeable.

For instance, whether we are male or female will affect our self concept, but may or may not affect our self-esteem. If we are in a highly patriarchal culture it may lower our self esteem, in other cultures it may be neutral or increase self esteem.

It is part of my self concept that I have brown hair and blue eyes.....but that is pretty neutral in my self esteem as I neither especially like nor dislike brown hair and blue eyes.

If I desperately wanted to have blonde hair or brown eyes, then these factors might affect my self esteem.

0 Replies