Will Blackberry 10 OS save Blackberry (formerly known as RIM)?

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2013 12:02 pm
http://reviews.cnet.com/blackberry-10-os/

Blackberry finally is getting around to releasing Blackberry 10 os but is it in time to save it from obsolescence from the likes of Android and the iPhone? Are you slavishly devoted to your Blackberry and the format? Have you ever owned a Blackberry but moved away to another format because the company started to fall behind in the smart phone race? Were/are you a Blackberry user because your job required you to have that and only that kind of secure business phone? What about now? Does your work allow you to use any other smart phone os?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 2,580 • Replies: 6
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2013 12:07 pm
@tsarstepan,
When security is more important than reliable service, Blackberry will become competitive.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2013 12:10 pm
@roger,
I don't know.... one bitten, twice shy.

I know several companies that had internal Blackberry servers to provide service to Blackberry smart phones, but I doubt they'll trust Blackberry enough in the future to do so again.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2013 12:11 pm
@roger,
I believe that Blackberry's alleged security superiority is only a marketing gimmick as it really isn't that more secure then either the iPhone or any given Android equivalent.
roger

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2013 12:15 pm
@tsarstepan,
Maybe. I do recall at least one country in the Middle East trying to somehow restrict their use. That's a little vague, I know, but just off the top of my head. Possibly the more despotic governments are swallowing marketing gimmicks, as well as the rest of us.

Anyhow, if they don't have that advantage, I don't see any advantage at all.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2013 01:10 pm
@tsarstepan,
The base QNX operating system is intriguing and efficient. I like the fact that they made a tiny nano-kernel operating system focused on what mobil devices need to do. But I'm not sure that efficiency and innovation alone will be enough to save them.

IOS and Android, even though slightly inefficient in comparison to QNX, are still highly functional. And since most users only change platforms because of improved functionality (and not efficiency), it'll be hard for BlackBerry to lure any converts over to its device.

I would not be investing in BlackBerry right now, unless I thought Apple or Google were going to buy them just to own QNX.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2013 12:20 pm
BlackBerry: Re-named and re-designed, but can BB10 save the company
BlackBerry 10 has finally arrived and with it came a bundle of surprises.
http://www.csmonitor.com/Innovation/Horizons/2013/0131/BlackBerry-Re-named-and-re-designed-but-can-BB10-save-the-company?nav=93-csm_category-leadStory
0 Replies