WHAT IS THE BEST AVAILABE NEW SMARTFONE ?

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 12:53 am

WHAT IS THE BEST AVAILABE NEW SMARTFONE ?

I got the best fone I coud find (with a loud speakerfone in it) around 2OOO.
It has worn out. It does not re-charge correctly; troublesome.

Any opinions concerning what is the best available replacement on the market today ?

David

rosborne979

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 05:58 am
@OmSigDAVID,
iPhone
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 06:15 am
@rosborne979,
Thank u, Rosborne!
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 07:25 am
@OmSigDAVID,
It's possible to buy a new rechargeable battery for the one you have. I've known several perople in a similar circumstance who have done so.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 08:00 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:
It's possible to buy a new rechargeable battery for the one you have.
I've known several perople in a similar circumstance who have done so.
I got an extra big battery because
the original one gave very few hours, but the problem was
that whereas originally the electrical connection to the wall
for re-charging was stable n secure, it got loosened so that
it became disconnected during re-charging, without any disturbance.
Shaky connection.

I had to keep an eye on it to make sure that the little blue lite
did not go out. It ofen did, and it was difficult to re-establish
an electrical connection. Additionally, altho I got the best that
I coud back then, I'm aware that as time marches on,
better technology became available in the market,
but I am not aware as to the SPECIFICS of what is best to get.

Being retired, I stay home a lot and I use my hardwired land line.

David
ehBeth

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 08:09 am
@OmSigDAVID,
What are you going to use the phone for?
shewolfnm

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 08:10 am
I have heard more BAD things about the iphone than good. I know many MANY people who have them too. Dropped calls, screens locking up, battery issues, connection problems, little viruses just yuck. Unfortunately there is more hype around it than anything else so people just assume its the best.

Even Forbes knocked it off its pedestal -
http://www.forbes.com/sites/briancaulfield/2011/11/08/consumer-reports-recommends-iphone-says-its-not-the-best/
shewolfnm

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 08:12 am
@rosborne979,
and oops!! Im really sorry. I went to reply to your post and instead hit the thumbs down! changed it though...but still, sorry about that. my fault !
sozobe

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 08:26 am
EhBeth asked my question, as different phones are better for different purposes.

Elements include how much you plan to type on it, how much bandwidth you'll be using, and what your budget is.

I have a Blackberry Bold and am overall very happy with it. The main advantage it has over the iPhone is the actual keyboard -- I find it easier to type on it quickly than on an iPhone, and I do email and a lot of texting from it so typing is important.

I also have a special pricing plan, which is not currently available on the iPhone, so I have unlimited data for a very good price. (From Sprint.*)

In pretty much every other respect the iPhone is superior, and if pricing were not an issue I'd want an iPhone. (That's going by pretty extensive research -- both reading things about it and talking to owners of various types of smartphones for the past several years.)

I so want Siri. <sigh> From experiments with friends' iPhones, it's the best shot yet at captioning the world. (If I don't understand something someone said, point Siri at 'em and then look at the screen.)

*The phone itself and the carrier are two different issues. iPhone + AT&T is different from iPhone + Sprint, for example.
Sturgis

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 08:45 am
@OmSigDAVID,
It will depend on just how smart you want it to be. Are you planning to do a lot of texting, Internet touring or game playing or music playing? I ask because you state that you are reciprocal and at home a lot with a land line. You clearly have phone and Internet access without the phone, so what purpose will the phone be generally serving? I am similar to you in that I am no longer in the work force. My cell is a fairly run of the mill standard flip-phone(or as they call it, clambake), with Internet capability, photo and video capability, I had texting turned off, only my provider/carrier can send me messages regarding my account, nobody else, has a very good speakerphone, 5 different alarms, so I can take naps several times daily and still be awakened. I mostly use it for calls, occasional look at the Internet and occasional photo taken. I saw no need to get a Whackberry or an I-phone or whatever other nonsense is out there. My phone does have certain features I won't likely ever use; vultures
but it is red so that was the main thing. I held off getting it until it was down to only the cost of shipping. If you have a contract provider, they may have special deals for you. Check their websites and google and blekko search for phone reviews. Get all details, battery life, reception quality, ease of use, etc. etc.

So, ask yourself what purpose the phone is to have. If it's mainly for phone calls , then why shell out extra money for things you won't use or need?

To your current phone woes, is it the charger which has the problem or the phone? Chargers can be replaced, same as battery. Check the connect points as well, oils and other particles often attach there disrupting charging ability. They can be cleaned off.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 08:58 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
What are you going to use the phone for?
I am really very ignorant of that, other than just calling.
I don 't know what choices have become available
from the newer technology. I 'd want a loud speaker fone
because I have some hearing trouble. When I got the last one,
I got the loudest speaker fone that I coud find.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 09:02 am
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:
I have heard more BAD things about the iphone than good. I know many MANY people who have them too. Dropped calls, screens locking up, battery issues, connection problems, little viruses just yuck. Unfortunately there is more hype around it than anything else so people just assume its the best.
I imagine that is because Apple has such a fine reputation for good stuff.

Maybe Droid is better ??

Thanks for the link; I 'll check it.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 09:21 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
EhBeth asked my question, as different phones are better for different purposes.

Elements include how much you plan to type on it, how much bandwidth you'll be using, and what your budget is.

I have a Blackberry Bold and am overall very happy with it. The main advantage it has over the iPhone is the actual keyboard -- I find it easier to type on it quickly than on an iPhone, and I do email and a lot of texting from it so typing is important.

I also have a special pricing plan, which is not currently available on the iPhone, so I have unlimited data for a very good price. (From Sprint.*)

In pretty much every other respect the iPhone is superior, and if pricing were not an issue I'd want an iPhone. (That's going by pretty extensive research -- both reading things about it and talking to owners of various types of smartphones for the past several years.)

I so want Siri. <sigh> From experiments with friends' iPhones, it's the best shot yet at captioning the world. (If I don't understand something someone said, point Siri at 'em and then look at the screen.)

*The phone itself and the carrier are two different issues. iPhone + AT&T is different from iPhone + Sprint, for example.
Yes; I was using Sprint. I prefer them to AT&T.
I dont expect to type much. I have never texted; I just call, the old fashioned way.
I guess maybe c.$5OO give or take ?

One thing is that I don't get out as much as I did.
I have some trouble in walking for more than a few minutes,
so I 've been using my desktop computer and a hardwired landline.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 09:35 am
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:
It will depend on just how smart you want it to be. Are you planning to do a lot of texting,
No texting; I prefer to call.

Sturgis wrote:
Internet touring
That might come in handy.
I 've been impressed, seeing that done.

Sturgis wrote:
or game playing or music playing?
No games nor music.

Sturgis wrote:
I ask because you state that you are reciprocal and at home a lot with a land line. You clearly have phone and Internet access without the phone, so what purpose will the phone be generally serving?
I dunno what good services exist
that I 'm missing out on.

Sturgis wrote:
I am similar to you in that I am no longer in the work force. My cell is a fairly run of the mill standard flip-phone(or as they call it, clambake), with Internet capability, photo and video capability, I had texting turned off, only my provider/carrier can send me messages regarding my account, nobody else, has a very good speakerphone, 5 different alarms, so I can take naps several times daily and still be awakened.
Mine had no camera and no Internet, no games, no music.

Sturgis wrote:
I mostly use it for calls, occasional look at the Internet and occasional photo taken. I saw no need to get a Whackberry or an I-phone or whatever other nonsense is out there. My phone does have certain features I won't likely ever use; vultures
but it is red so that was the main thing. I held off getting it until it was down to only the cost of shipping. If you have a contract provider, they may have special deals for you. Check their websites and google and blekko search for phone reviews. Get all details, battery life, reception quality, ease of use, etc. etc.

So, ask yourself what purpose the phone is to have. If it's mainly for phone calls,
That 's about all I can think of.

Sturgis wrote:
then why shell out extra money for things you won't use or need?

To your current phone woes, is it the charger which has the problem or the phone?
Its a shaky connection in the base of the fone.

Sturgis wrote:
Chargers can be replaced, same as battery.
Check the connect points as well, oils and other particles
often attach there disrupting charging ability. They can be cleaned off.
Thanks for your advice!
Ragman

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 09:45 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OK you convinced me. I'm responding with an abrrreviated incomplete buying primer as generic reply to you and anyone else who might have a smartphone in their future. I pre-warn you that there'll be a bit of Toffler-esque culture shock when you look for a smartphone.

Here's what I mean:

Firstly, in case you aren't aware, you need to state what carrier you use. Verizon, AT&T, Sprint-Nextel, T-Mobile, etc. Not all models are available with all carriers (phone equipment and/or network providers).

Secondly, you need to be clear whether or not you really want JUST a cellphone or a Smartphone as there's a functional distinction.

Thirdly, many (perhaps the majority) smartphones and cellphones have speakerphone capability. However, you need to try any model personally to see how well they amplify with clarity or they amplify the noise along with the louder volume. That's a very individual depending on the model and your own hearing abilities.

Consider eliminating landline -
Another thing to consider is eliminating your landline. I'm disabled and had to think long and hard, but it's been 10 yrs since I had a landline. You may feel differently as some people like the idea of not having to rely on satellite tech variability to make your connection. Statistically the amount of uptime availability is pretty similar but not the same - depending on your area and carrier. I've been happiest with my carrier which is Verizon. Never been in an emergency and not had access. the storm that took out cell phone service coincidentally also took out landline. FWIW, cellphone came back within 24 hr and landline took 2 days.

Back to the main topic (tele-function at the junction)
Do not think of smartphone devices as tricked out cellphones. The advice about choices would be different if you are looking for cellphone function only.

Smartphones are truely mobile computers with a mix of GPS/paging/messaging device thrown in. As a result, they have shorter battery charging life, depending on the applications you load and the viewing that you do. Consider the option of getting a phone with best battery usage and/or a larger battery capacity.

Are you sure of which phone technology you want?
As an aside, you might consider just buying a cellphone. If you have friend or a relative who likes their smartphone then take some time - like at least 20 minutes and play... I mean use their favorite applications and features - accessing Internet, running GPS location and retrieving your phone messages or your email.

Added functions and/or applications
Oh yes, they also take awesome pictures now and can immediately email to your family/friends. Also, Miracle of mircales, they can now read a barcode and tell you what the right prices are and where to find it locally (with the right applications loaded).

Smartphone telephone functionality -
It's true you could still use a smartphone as only a phone, but then you'd be missing all the fun.,.and paying 50-100% more and not get the usage or the battery life. The good smartphones still perform well as phones (good voice and good reception) in addition to the other functions. This is very dependent on your carrier RF signals from towers and your local house conditions. In FL we have hurricane reinforced (rebar) standards on the newer buildings so some of us live in Faraday cages (poor signal).

My smartphone recommendation and experience -
All that being said, I've used a Motorola Android smartphone for the last 2 yrs. I was and still am a Verizon user. However, 'cause I'm not a Mac user I have limited exposure. My brother-in-law and sister are Apple-users and swear by iPhone. However, I'll tell you this: independent researchers and reviewers feel that the Motorola Android, Moto Andtoid X, HTC Android clones are very comparable to iPhone.

My personal favorite is:
Android and Droid-clones (using Android Oper. System):

Specifically, Moto Droid recommended:
Android X2 ($100)
not Droid3..(poor voice quality and costs $200)
Android-X ()
Android (if you can find one as it's been 2 yrs since I bought mine)

For the latest-and-greatest techy boys-girls -
HTC Thunderbolt ($150) Runs on Droid OS and is 4G-capable (latest speedy network). A wide-screen (high visibility in almost any light) whopper with equally big capabilities and features, including access to an ultra-fast 4G network. But it's pricey.

My brother-in-law faves of iPhone:
Apple iPhone 4s $200 (16 gb memory)
Apple iPhone 4 $100 (8 gb memory)
Apple iPhone 3G $0 (8 gb memory; free purchase depending on your carrier)
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 09:54 am
@Ragman,
Wow!!! Thank u, Ragman!
That is an outstanding and very full answer.
It will take me a while to study, analyse and digest it. It's great!

( I remember reading Future Shock in the 1970s.)

David
engineer

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 10:05 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I don't think you need a "smart" phone. If you don't want to surf the Internet or text, what you need is a reliable 3G phone with Bluetooth. Bluetooth will allow you to use accessories like headsets or hands free calling in cars. It seems like your real criteria is the speakerphone part. If you have any bluetooth phone, you can buy a separate, high quality speakerphone that will probably work better than the one on any phone. I suggest you go that route - cheap phone, nice speakerphone.
gungasnake

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 10:15 am
@shewolfnm,
Quote:
I have heard more BAD things about the iphone than good. I know many MANY people who have them too. Dropped calls, screens locking up, battery issues, connection problems, little viruses just yuck. Unfortunately there is more hype around it than anything else so people just assume its the best....

Apple is generally the control-freak approach to computer science. My company forced me to buy an iphone a year or so ago but it's getting tossed at the 2-year limit and replaced with the best Android phone I can come up with, probably the HTC Inspire or something like it.

Aside from everything else, you can't buy batteries for the Iphone and you have to ask yourself if you'd ever buy a car which had a battery hard-wired in so that you could only replace the car if a battery went bad.

Ragman

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 10:18 am
@OmSigDAVID,
YVW, David.

Once again, as generic cellphone buyers' guide recommendation list:

I will cut to the chase (based on rereading the thread whilst I composed my novella), as it sounds like you really need a simpler answer.

If it's a smartphone you seek... I'd recommend
HTC Droid
HTC Thunderbolt (maybe too sophisticated 4G...so you have to be in 4G network-capable area)
Motorola Droid X2

Apple iPhone 4
apple iPhone 3G (AT&T only I think)

For cellphone functionality only, I recommend:
HTC Freestyle ($100; AT&T only); mediocre-to-good battery life
Samsung Solstice II ($0; AT&T only); mediocre-to-good battery life
Samsung Rugby II ($100; AT&T only); very good battery life

Samsung Gravity TXT $(40) (T-Mobile only); pretty good battery life
LG Rumor Touch (Sprint Nextel only); pretty good battery life
Samsung Convoy 2 ($80) (Verizon); mediocre-to-good battery life
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 10:19 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I did read Toffler's Future Shock (hence my reference to it in my reply) in my Freshmen college year of 1968 (that's A.D. or C.E.)
0 Replies