Blackberry VS Iphone

Montana

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 10:45 am
I'm looking for opinions from these phone users before I take the plunge in getting one.
I'm a hopeless gamer and I'm wondering what the Iphone can do that the Blackberry can't do regarding on line gaming.
I'm assuming the Iphone is more advanced in that area, but I truly don't know.

Looking for the positive/negatives on both phones.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 5,422 • Replies: 27
No top replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 10:48 am
@Montana,
Montana wrote:

I'm looking for opinions from these phone users before I take the plunge in getting one.
I'm a hopeless gamer and I'm wondering what the Iphone can do that the Blackberry can't do regarding on line gaming.
I'm assuming the Iphone is more advanced in that area, but I truly don't know.

Looking for the positive/negatives on both phones.

Iphone is far, far, far, far better for what you want to do. Far better. I can't emphasize this enough. The number of free games is staggering and the number that you can get for 1 or 2 dollars is amazing as well. The Iphone is better than any blackberry out there in a variety of ways, at least, any that I've seen.

Careful though, the Iphone monthly bill is 100 or more for the service and data.

Cycloptichorn
sozobe

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 10:50 am
@Montana,
There's a new Blackberry with a touch screen that probably bridges the gap.

But from everything I know, the iPhone is superior if price is not an object.

Especially for gaming. Blackberry tends to be better for text-based stuff (email and texting).

I have a Blackberry Curve and really love it. Then I got an iPod touch (free), and it's just a whole 'nother level. Very nice to use. (The iPod touch is basically an iPhone without the phone or the camera.) (Although the new iPod touches have cameras, too.)

I played some games on the Blackberry but now they seem laughably primitive. About the only games I play now are on the iPod touch. (Angry Birds especially. Almost have that last golden egg! Sozlet and I are about the same skill level and just work on it together.)
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 10:56 am
@sozobe,
Quote:
(The iPod touch is basically an iPhone without the phone or the camera.) (Although the new iPod touches have cameras, too.)

I know - now I want a new one, damnit!

Cycloptichorn
sozobe

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 11:00 am
@Cycloptichorn,
You have an iPhone though right?

I was wondering about this the other day -- why does anyone with an iPhone get an iPod touch?

Just for music?

(My Blackberry + iPod touch = an iPhone.)
Montana

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 11:01 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Thanks very much Cyclo (great to see ya Smile ). The $100+ a month is certainly an issue. I've looked at the rates through my phone carrier and they're rates look like they're only $50 a month, but I don't want to fall into any hidden costs.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 11:03 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

You have an iPhone though right?

Nope, an Ipod touch. I don't like AT&T. Apple actually pitched the Iphone to sprint, who I use, who turned them down! Idiots.

But now I want a new Ipod touch, they are sexy... and I'll break it wide open the second I get it.

Cycloptichorn
Montana

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 11:05 am
@sozobe,
Thanks Soz (so nice to see you as well Smile ) This is all the info I need and the only issue left is the monthly cost. If it is indeed $100+ a month, this is too rich for my blood. I think $50 would be my limit Sad
I may have to wait for them to come up with something better, so they can lower their rates on it.
Everything I've seen on the Iphone is what I'm looking for.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 11:05 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Oh, OK.

Maybe nobody has both (which is why they're giving iPod touches away for free!)
Montana

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 11:10 am
If the Ipod touch has no phone, it wouldn't work for me because I need the phone. Don't wanna break down in the boonies with no phone. My old as the hills phone now doesn't even have a camera, so that would be nice to have as well.
sozobe

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 11:14 am
@Montana,
Oh right, sorry, I'm not suggesting you get an iPod touch. Just had a spare thought re: wondering why anyone would have both an iPhone and an iPod touch. Turns out Cycloptichorn isn't an example of that though so I'll have to keep wondering. Smile

The main reason I brought it up is that while I have no direct experience with an iPhone (except for checking out other peoples'), I'm very impressed with the iPod touch, which is a very similar thing. (The apps that run on an iPhone run on an iPod, the touch technology is the same, etc.)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 11:15 am
@sozobe,
Up here they're already almost giving away the Iphones for free as well if you sign a 3 year contract. The contract for my current phone was up years ago and I really don't mind signing a 3 year.
Got a call from my phone carrier yesterday saying I could get a free smartphone for signing a 3 year. I don't like doing business over the phone, so I just declined.
I assume by "smartphone", they mean a Blackberry. Most providers here are giving those away as well, with a contract of course.
Montana

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 11:19 am
@Montana,
Got ya Wink I knew you weren't suggesting the Ipod and just throwing it out there as an option, which I appreciate very much. I always like to know what all my options are.
In fact, I'm glad you mentioned it, so I don't have to do the research to see what the Ipod was all about Smile
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 11:23 am
@Montana,
"Smartphone" these days really means any phone that does more than make phone calls. (If you can get on the web with it, definitely a smartphone.)

So Blackberry and iPhones are both smartphones.

Many places give away the device with the service contracts, don't let that part alone sway you too much. The service contracts are the thing. (If it's $100/ month for three years for example, that'd dwarf the price of a device pretty quickly!)

$50/ month seems to be pretty good. I have an insanely good deal on the Blackberry, unlimited data for $30/ month. That's highly unusual though (and only available to deaf people -- Blackberries were developed for us and they've kept some special pricing. Yay RIM.) (When I started with the earliest RIM text pager product, called a Wyndtell, back in 1999 or so, service fees started at $5/ month!)
Montana

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 11:38 am
@sozobe,
Thanks for educating me on the smartphone thing. I was a bit confused about that.
The monthly quotes I see for the Blackberry are only $40 here as well, which isn't bad either.
I don't need anything fancy as far as plans go. No special calling deals (phone is very rarely used and mostly for emergencies. I have also never texted in my life, so I don't even need texting.
All I would really need is the basic minimum for calls/text and unlimited internet access.
Montana

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 11:50 am
I was also wondering if it could damage the phone by leaving it out in my car in the winter. I've never had any problems with the phone I have now, but ya never know?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 11:55 am
@Montana,
Montana wrote:

I was also wondering if it could damage the phone by leaving it out in my car in the winter. I've never had any problems with the phone I have now, but ya never know?

I wouldn't ever leave my Iphone or other expensive, high-tech device in a car. Ever. It's a fast way to have a broken window and no phone.

But, I would say, in terms of reliability and damage to the unit, you should be careful with an Iphone or other smartphone not with the winter, but with direct sunlight. The things rely upon a reasonable ambient temperature to stay cool and they really can be damaged if used too much in the direct sunlight. I don't know of any issues having to do with extreme cold, but if it's below freezing I certainly wouldn't recommend it.

Cycloptichorn
ehBeth

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 11:59 am
@Montana,
I find that the newer ones are more delicate than the ones of 5/10/15 years ago.

Given the seriously cold weather you get, I wouldn't risk leaving a Blackberry/I-anything in your car in the winter.
Montana

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 12:05 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
LOL, my son just told me the same thing about leaving it in the car to be stolen and about the cold. I would never leave it in plain view or direct sunlight.
There are cameras all around the outside of the building where I'll be working again starting next week, so I can't see any attempted car break ins.
In my years working there, I've never heard of any cars at work being broken into (cameras help I'm sure), so I'm not all that worried about that.
It would only be left (hidden) in my car while I'm working since there is a lot of moisture in the building and I really wouldn't have anywhere to put it.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 12:07 pm
@ehBeth,
I agree. My old motorola works like a charm and I hate to give it up, but I can't do very much with it.
0 Replies