Finally RIM may have a comeback with their new crackberries.

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 11:21 am
Anyone else switching from iphone 5 or android to the new blackberry 10?
I-phone I've found out is mainly for hipsters and social media junkies to waste their time with useless apps and I've noticed that it's not really security oriented. I've had better experiences with android being that it was more customizable.

I might just have to switch into Black Berry Z10 and discard my iphone 5 and see what may come. I'm interested in the stability of their QNX platform as well as their BES MS Exchange Integration.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 2,048 • Replies: 5
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 11:27 am
@Val Killmore,
They're no longer called RIM as they recently changed their corporate name to Blackberry.
Val Killmore

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 12:22 pm
@tsarstepan,
Appreciate the heads up. Didn't see your post there. It seems that the stock went down after the announcement. Then again I don't totally trust Wall Street's judgement. RIM now Blackberry was one of the first communication devices I fell in love with. That is why I root for the company's come back. And people on other forums are mocking the device about the lack of apps as compared to apple or android.... I have an ipad for that, or in other words for entertainment purposes. Anyway a large percentage of apps are useless and have dismal ratings so I don't know what some of the apple fan boys are bragging about.
sozobe

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 12:27 pm
@Val Killmore,
The touch keypad looks amazing. (The software that allows you to type accurately with minimal keystrokes.) Mostly I'm happy that they're back from the brink (even though I just bought my first non-RIM/ Blackberry device in... holy cow... 15 years? First one was 1998.)
sozobe

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 12:36 pm
@sozobe,
This part:

Quote:
On the all-touch-screen model, BlackBerry has come up with a mind-bogglingly clever typing system. Stay with me here:

As you type a word, tiny, complete words appear over certain on-screen keys — guesses as to the word you’re most likely to want. If you’ve typed “made of sil,” for example, the word “silicone” appears over the letter I key, “silver” over the V, and “silk” over the K. You can fling one of these words into your text by flicking upward from the key — or ignore it and keep typing.

How well does it work? In this passage, the only letters I actually had to type are shown in bold. The BlackBerry proposed the rest: “I’m going to have to cancel for tonight. There is a really good episode of Dancing With the Stars on.”

I type 20 characters; it typed 61 for me.

But wait, there’s more. The more you use the BlackBerry, the more it learns your way of writing. When I tried that same passage later, I typed only one letter: the I in “I’m.” Thereafter, the phone predicted each successive word in those sentences, requiring no letter-key presses at all. Freaky and brilliant and very, very fast.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/31/technology/the-blackberry-refreshed-lives-to-fight-another-day.html

That's one thing I do really miss about the old Blackberry as compared to my new iPhone -- typing stuff.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 01:36 pm
Palm also had very good word completion software in WebOS.
0 Replies