Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 11:42 pm

Are you getting the message, everybody? Particularly those of you ages 18-35 and into "alternative" endeavors such as rock climbing, playing in an indie band (your drummer must wear a hat he stole from his grandfather or Urban Outfitters), going on difficult dates at vegan restaurants, and jerk-dancing in front of the mirror? Blackberry, or at least the marketing executives hip to your underground subculture, want you to remember to do what you love, preferably without wondering why exactly there are no material rewards for the above activities, not even food, and certainly not a Blackberry, while what they love allows them to sail around the world with their concubines on yachts made out of cocaine.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 2,921 • Replies: 14

Gargamel

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 11:43 pm
I saw this during Monday Night Football and have been throwing up inside my heart ever since.

I'm offended on so many levels. Levels I'll perhaps expound upon tomorrow, when it's not so late.
ENFORCER

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 11:45 pm
@Gargamel,
Ha, whatever do you mean? I use my blackberry every time i'm rock climbing.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 11:46 pm
@Gargamel,
Tomorrow is later than today
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 05:52 am
@Gargamel,
You're the very pitcher of cynicism, ain't you?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 06:36 am
@Gargamel,
I'm not sure it's any more sickening/depressing than the McDonalds' "I'm lovin it" campaign.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 06:54 am
@Gargamel,
Blackberry isn't the only one doing these kind of groovy marketing 'mercials to the young and hip. The vodka commercials make me want to puke-- a group of aimless young and beautiful city dwellers find a dry pool at the top of their apartment buliding.

The next thing you know, these wowser 20 somethings have come up with the utlimate in recreation; fill up the pool with as much junk they can find. The spot is narrated with an ultra hip soundtrack, jangly camera, the works. A mini movie! The 21st century version of youth rebellion! As if these dipshit creatures have suddenly found the real reason they were put on the earth-- to perform mindless activities with more than 10 people their age, while drinking top shelf vodka.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 07:03 am
when your cocaine yacht mixes with the salt water it's hard to snort.... but perfect for freebasing...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 07:45 am
First, I just have to say that

[img]throwing up inside my heart[/img]

is an evoctive turn of phrase. I know just what you mean.

I think the commercials are geared towards parents who want their little darlings to follow their dreams and not be crushed by the drudgery of getting up and going to some boring job every day because you have a kid to feed.

I mean, you know, WE wanted to be songwriters too but we had to pay for guitars and guitar lessons -- dream deferred.
Gala

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 08:01 am
@boomerang,
i don't think parents have anything to do with it. it's geared toward an age group that grew up on technology and thinks everything is improved with a hip tune playing in the background and having access to their friends even if they're on Mt. Kilimanjaro. i also think this is an age group that works it's ass off, but its superficial aspirations are to act as if they are successfully avoiding drudgery.
boomerang

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 08:09 am
@Gala,
I think using a song written in 1967 was an intential grab at the over 40 generation who probably have kids about the same age as the kids in the commercial.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 10:54 am
@Gargamel,
Quote:
throwing up inside my heart

What a clever sentiment Garg

What makes me sad as a musician who loves the Beatles and John Lennon for the pure emotions in their poetry, is that the erstwhile and innocent phrase "All You Need Is Love" is turned on its head by the cynical ad group to promote the notion that "All You Need Is Blackberry" in order to succeed in life.
Gala

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 11:08 am
@panzade,
I think that's why it's aimed at the 30s and under-- taking a classic boomer tune and reworking it into something the youngster would think was an original song created in 2009.

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 11:11 am
@boomerang,
So I can assume that you got/will get Mo a Blackberry?
If not, then I demand you turn in your mothers license as it will be revoked!
http://i49.tinypic.com/20trwb8.jpg
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 11:15 am
Fe-fe, fi-fi, fo-fo, fum
I smell smoke in the auditorium

Charlie Brown, Charlie Brown
He's a clown, that Charlie Brown
He's gonna get caught
Just you wait and see
(Why's everybody always pickin' on me)

That's him on his knees